Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer 2011

Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar

Default Summer 2011

I know this has been talked about before, but who are the top Free Agents for summer of 2011? And who do you think Larry Bird will make a run at?
    Murph

Default Re: Summer 2011

I'm wondering if we might try to sign 3-4 solid to good veterans if we can't get 1-2 "really good" players. I'd be pleasantly surprised if we got 1 "star".

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I believe Carl Landry and Aaron Brooks will be. I was hoping Landry would continue to be a backup in Houston so we could steal him away, but I fully expect him to blow up into a 20/8 in Sacramento and for them to wrap him up long-term.

restricted: horford, noah, stuckey, brooks, conley, marc gasol, wilson chandler, durant, oden
    unrestricted: crawford, perkins, mo, butler, melo, nene, randolph, david west, jrich, barbosa, duncan, parker, ak47

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HanSolo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    restricted: horford, noah, stuckey, brooks, conley, marc gasol, wilson chandler, durant, oden
    unrestricted: crawford, perkins, mo, butler, melo, nene, randolph, david west, jrich, barbosa, duncan, parker, ak47
    Yuck.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

To be honest, I don't expect us to be major players the summer of 2011

I think our willing and dealing will take place this summer and at the trade deadline next year. I just don't see Indiana being attractive to free agents. At least not the type of free agents we hope to land.

The draft and trades will be how we build our team

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

One of the good, young big men (Al Horford, Joakim Noah, or Marc Gasol) and one of the PGs (Brooks or Parker) and our cap-space would be a major success. I don't think it's unrealistic either.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Yuck.
    I'm curious: If the list you're saying yuck to would have been different, for the better, in your eyes, would you or would you not be saying "Well, so and so would never come to Indiana" or something like that to otherwise state we have no chance of getting them?

I think FAs are fine to look at, I don't think that is all of the options though. Let's consider, you have 2010 #5 pick and a boat load of expirings. What would a team give for that if they are going to rebuild. Or can you be a 3rd team for someone else and pick up a player. Didn't Boston get Ray Allen for he #5? I think in 2011 at the trade deadline, let's say you want David West, who knows what will be going on. CP3 isn't healthy, their payroll is way too high. I mean when you are a buyer, which you are when you have expirings, you might even be able to say, ya we'll take David West for expirings, but you owe us. Maybe not, but when you are trying to get rid of salary, you have to sacrifice. When your a seller, you are at a disadvantage in this environment.

I guess what I'm saying is the farther along we go the more options you get. Yes, I saw the Maynor deal.

I think this is true though, if you are a buyer and can take on someone else's salary, which is what your are saying with expirings and you have young assets and you have a good draft pick, you can make a move for something good.

Again, what's 40 million in expiring contracts, #5 pick, and some young players with potential get you? Well it at least gets you to the table.

And I do know that maybe BRush et al maybe aren't gold, but also think how excited most of us were about DJ Augustine and Henderson yesterday. So the BRush's still have value due to potential, but also when they are on their rookie deals still.

I'm rambling, but my point is there are assets and Pacers should have options starting at the draft this summer.
    Last edited by Speed; 02-19-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'm curious: If the list you're saying yuck to would have been different, for the better, in your eyes, would you or would you not be saying "Well, so and so would never come to Indiana" or something like that to otherwise state we have no chance of getting them?
    I'm not of the belief that just because we are in Indiana that we have no chance at big time free agents. The LeBrons, Wades, and Kobes maybe but players go where the money is. We won't have a shot at the restricted free agents because the ones who are worth making a big time play for will stay where they are at. I don't expect Melo ever makes it to free agency. Duncan and Parker are major difference makers now. But they'll be too old to give a lot of money to then. And in my eyes the rest of the list is a resounding yuck except for possibly David West but he's not worth anything close to a max deal.

-Lance Stephenson

I'm not of the belief that just because we are in Indiana that we have no chance at big time free agents. The LeBrons, Wades, and Kobes maybe but players go where the money is. We won't have a shot at the restricted free agents because the ones who are worth making a big time play for will stay where they are at. I don't expect Melo ever makes it to free agency. Duncan and Parker are major difference makers now. But they'll be too old to give a lot of money to then. And in my eyes the rest of the list is a resounding yuck except for possibly David West but he's not worth anything close to a max deal.
    I highly doubt we'd offer David West a max contract.

Well, the restricted list is nice. The unrestricted list is full of players who can't change a franchise and players we have no chance of attaining.

I second what Speed said. I think our main options are going to fall around Jan/Feb of 2011. Every year several teams are in turmoil and looking to shed star players on long terms deals for cap space, picks, prospects, etc. Look at what Houston got for a single expiring and a prospect (Landry) - a star player in Martin, Jordan Hill, pick swap, and a 2012 first.

It's too early to tell exactly who will be available, but some names to consider are CP3, David West, Okafor, Iggy, Monta Ellis, Devin Harris, Al Jefferson, Arenas, Marvin Williams, etc.

Lets say we nail this draft and the selection, plus Danny & Hibbert are off limits and considered our "untouchable" core. We have the 2011 first round pick & future picks, Rush, Hans, Price, and all our expirings to make some moves. IMO, it only takes a big expiring deal, young prospect, and a pick to land a borderline star player (assuming their team is going to rebuild). We could potentially land two very good players via this route to surround Danny, Hibbert, and our 2010 pick. We round out the roster via FA veterans in the summer.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to purdue101 For This Useful Post:

I highly doubt we'd offer David West a max contract.
    I'm not saying that. I just think that list makes it look like we'll have the money for at least one max deal with nowhere to put it.

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by purdue101 View Post

It's too early to tell exactly who will be available, but some names to consider are CP3, David West, Okafor, Iggy, Monta Ellis, Devin Harris, Al Jefferson, Arenas, Marvin Williams, etc.
    Now some of the players on this list sounds a little better, imo.

I'm also secretly hoping that if we don't hit the John Wall sweepstakes then Minnesota does......Ricky Rubio suddenly becomes available.

Anything can happen...if Bosh, Wade and LBJ decide to exercise their player contracts then they could be FA in 2011. There is also a possibility CP3 could be a FA.

Realistically, I think we'll go after someone like Scola
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

CP3 and Monta would be fun to watch but with Paul's knee injury and the way Bill Simmons described it I'd be a little cautious with him.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by purdue101 View Post
    I'm also secretly hoping that if we don't hit the John Wall sweepstakes then Minnesota does......Ricky Rubio suddenly becomes available.
    Then there is New Jersey, if they get the #1, what happens to Devin Harris.

There is a million things that could happen, many of them good or at least better than has been available. I'm back to being patient.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Tony Parker will only be 29. Borderline, but he will surely have 4-5 good years left.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    Tony Parker will only be 29. Borderline, but he will surely have 4-5 good years left.
    I had thought he was older too. Interesting.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I had thought he was older too. Interesting.
    Yea he came in the league pretty young. The other factor is that Duncan will probably retire and George Hill is waiting in the wings to take Parker's spot. I am almost certain he leaves San Antonio at that time. If we still have a big need at point gaurd and throw some money at him... who knows?
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

This makes me think, too. Doesn't a top notch PG make a huge difference to this team. Sure you probably not a contender, but isn't that the one spot that could use the biggest improvement?

Hicks this was my big beef with Larry's plan. The free agent list was very slim with quality star players when all these contracts expire. The only thing that has me crossing my fingers is that somehow these expiring contracts could be packaged with additional assets to land us a star player. Frankly no one can say whether Larry has played his hand right until the 2011 season. You can say however that he has limited choices in the free agent market.

IMO, Larry needs a signature move to solidify this fan base. That move has to be another All Star player or whatever he does in 2011 will be a disappointment to me.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 02-19-2010 at 02:00 PM.

I found a good thread with regards to this topic http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=46089
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.