Thread: Indy Star-4-year deal secures Johnson's NBA future, plus a Bender blurb

Default Indy Star-4-year deal secures Johnson's NBA future, plus a Bender blurb

http://www.indystar.com/articles/7/163138-2647-179.html

Pacers Notebook
    4-year deal secures Johnson's NBA future

By Mark Montieth
    mark.montieth@indystar.com
    July 17, 2004

Anthony Johnson achieved something Friday that had eluded him throughout seven NBA seasons: security.

The 29-year-old point guard signed a four-year contract with the Indiana Pacers, a landmark for a player who had subsisted on a series of one-year and 10-day contracts.

Johnson averaged 6.2 points and 2.8 assists as the primary backup to Jamaal Tinsley last season, a role he's likely to continue.

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh signed Johnson to a one-year contract for a veteran's minimum salary of $814,000 last season.

Johnson's steady, mature play on a Pacers team that won a league-best 61 games improved his value in the marketplace. Johnson's agent, Richard Howell, said he received inquiries from up to a dozen teams. Walsh got Johnson for less than $11 million over the length of the contract.

The Pacers gave Johnson about half of the $5 million midlevel salary exemption, leaving them with the remainder and a $1.6 million exemption if they want to sign another free agent.

Rafer Alston, who averaged 10.2 points and 4.5 assists as a backup in Miami, signed a six-year, $30 million deal with Toronto. Carlos Arroyo, who averaged 12.6 points and 5.0 assists as a starter in Utah, signed a four-year, $16 million deal with the Jazz.

Walsh first watched Johnson play at the College of Charleston, and kept an eye on him throughout his NBA career. He was particularly impressed with Johnson's play for New Jersey in the 2001-02 and 2002-03 seasons.

"I'd go out there before the game and watch him shoot and think, 'This guy has made himself a really good shooter,' " Walsh said. "He always played well against us."

Pacers president Larry Bird was won over last season.

"When you talk about Anthony Johnson, you're talking about one of the best professionals ever to come through this league," Bird said.

Pacers coach Rick Carlisle started Kenny Anderson at point guard for 31 games last season and Tinsley for 43. Johnson, who started just seven games, was usually the No. 2 guard regardless of who started because of his steady play and defensive ability.

"There's no question he was an important guy on our team," Carlisle said. "He finished a lot of games for us and hit a lot of big shots for us. He's one of our veteran leaders. That certainly weighed into the equation of getting him back."

More time for Bender

One of the ripple effects of the Pacers' trade of Al Harrington for Stephen Jackson should be more playing time for Jonathan Bender.

Harrington played both forward spots, while Jackson will play shooting guard and small forward. Bender, who has played both forward positions and shooting guard, is expected to move up in the rotation.

Bender, a 23-year-old five-year veteran, averaged 7.0 points in 21 games last season, which he began on the injured list after undergoing knee surgery in October.

Bird was asked Thursday if the trade means more playing time for Bender.

"It better," he said, turning to Carlisle and laughing. Carlisle expects that it will.

"This opens (an) opportunity for him to really step forward," Carlisle said. "That's why this summer is critical for him. He'll have a clear-cut opportunity here."

Default Re: Indy Star-4-year deal secures Johnson's NBA future, plus a Bender blurb

What I found interesting is this-

The Pacers gave Johnson about half of the $5 million mid-level salary exemption, leaving them with the remainder and a $1.6 million exemption if they want to sign another free agent.
    -----

That obviously now rules out giving anyone the full mid level exception. It also means we are looking for a vet big man that will take about what AJ signed for. Who's in that catagory? With everyone looking for good big men I think we could wind up with one of our summer league big men.

Although they didn't list it we also have the exception we received from Charlotte picking Primo Brezac, it's around a million dollars I believe.

Barring any more trades, it looks like the roster is almost set for next year. We now have 13 players under contract. It appears either Brewer or Wright will fill one of those spots as our 3rd point guard. Who will fill the remaining spot?

[edit=91=1090050294][/edit]

Default Re: Indy Star-4-year deal secures Johnson's NBA future, plus a Bender blurb

Quote Originally Posted by Will
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What I found interesting is this-

The Pacers gave Johnson about half of the $5 million mid-level salary exemption, leaving them with the remainder and a $1.6 million exemption if they want to sign another free agent.
    -----

That obviously now rules out giving anyone the full mid level exception. It also means we are looking for a vet big man that will take about what AJ signed for. Who's in that catagory? With everyone looking for good big men I think we could wind up with one of our summer league big men.

Although they didn't list it we also have the exception we received from Charlotte picking Primo Brezac, it's around a million dollars I believe.

Barring any more trades, it looks like the roster is almost set for next year. We now have 13 players under contract. It appears either Brewer or Wright will fill one of those spots as our 3rd point guard. Who will fill the remaining spot?
    [b]Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje[b]

(or however you spell it).

Two=the number 2
    Too=means "also"
    To=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (two, too) do not apply.

Their=shows ownership-'it is their house'
    They're=they are
    There=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (their, they're) do not apply

Sorry but it bugs me when these are used incorrectly when I read posts on PacersDigest.com.

Johnny

I agree. It will probably be one of the bigs on our summer squad.

Ostertag?

Here's who I want to see on the team: Divac, Ostertag, or Boumtje-Boumtje
    Here's who I would bet will be on the team: Boumtje-Boumtje

He will cost the least and he's the only one of the three who have been known to be in contact with the team. We don't know if the Pacers are interested in Greg or Vlade, but Ruben is on the summer league team.
    [edit=53=1090077522][/edit]

RA231

BB is also young, 26?

If we get B-B, fine. But I don't think it will matter much; he likely won't play.

Sounds like Bender getting more PT factored in to the deal.

And on that note, the grass is greener on the other side, but this side's grass is too long and needs mowing.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

wtf? I Swear boumjte boumjte Is on the cavs summer team. Because i got a sig that looks EXACTLY like his on my floor and i checked my floor from last season portland and its boumjte boumjtes so im not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JOneal7
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    wtf? I Swear boumjte boumjte Is on the cavs summer team. Because i got a sig that looks EXACTLY like his on my floor and i checked my floor from last season portland and its boumjte boumjtes so im not sure.
    Most people check to see who's on which team by looking it up online, JOneal7 checks by looking through his autograph and wristband collections.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

I wouldn't be surprised if we start the season with 14 players. I recall fairly recently DW saying that he likes keeping that spare roster spot in case there is a need that arises during the season (ala Tim Hardaway).