Thread: bill simmons clowns Danny Granger

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default bill simmons clowns Danny Granger

No link!

(Cut to the last remaining 3,500 Pacers fans nodding impassively.)

Banned

Default Re: bill simmons clowns Danny Granger

you need a link, but yeah I agree with him

I don't think it's a clowning statement at all, and I think Danny would agree with him.

There are very few players that can single handedly carry a team. It's not a slam. He's not a #1 guy, right now, maybe ever. But he would be a damn good #2.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It takes a team to tango. Danny hasn't had much to work with during his time here.

But on a positive note, there are no Pacers listed in the Top 25 Worst Contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think it's a clowning statement at all, and I think Danny would agree with him.

There are very few players that can single handedly carry a team. It's not a slam. He's not a #1 guy, right now, maybe ever. But he would be a damn good #2.
    He's a fine #1 scoring option if you have good players around him.
    But he can't take a really bad team to the playoffs..especially when he's been injured the entire year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    He's a fine #1 scoring option if you have good players around him.
    But he can't take a really bad team to the playoffs..especially when he's been injured the entire year.
    What's the definition of "fine"? He's not a real contender #1 scoring option. He's a step below Melo and such.

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

That is funny that Tinsley is being remembered as the one firing off at a strip club (see Marc Gasol #27).
    Last edited by mildlysane; 02-16-2010 at 05:23 PM.

What's the definition of "fine"? He's not a real contender #1 scoring option. He's a step below Melo and such.
    Reggie was a #1 scoring option on a contender. You don't need a Melo, Lebron, or a Wade. You need a team.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I think he's equal to any of the players Detroit had on their championship teams.

He's just not Kobe, Lebron, Carmello..ect...

I'm just saying you can build a contending team without having a superstar..you need all stars, obviously..but you don't need a Lebron or Kobe.

I think there's a lack of realism in what people can get. Get a bunch of really good players/good players who play a good style..a team style..of basketball, and they'll be a very good team. You don't need three superstars, and truth is..most likely we won't get three superstars.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

I agree Since86.

I said at a forum party once that I felt like J.O. was a great Robin, but he would never be "that guy".

I feel the same way about Granger. It is not a knock on him at all, it is just the reality that there are only so many Kobe's, Wade's, and Lebrons out there (and even with those three many people can argue if they can "carry" a team by themselves)

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Reggie was a #1 scoring option on a contender. You don't need a Melo, Lebron, or a Wade. You need a team.
    Detroit proved this to be true, but I still think you need a big "star" if you expect to legitimately compete year in and year out.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Detroit proved this to be true, but I still think you need a big "star" if you expect to legitimately compete year in and year out.
    It's preferable, but 6 straight ECF's with two Finals and one Title is still pretty great.

I'd love to have that kind of stretch this decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    It's preferable, but 6 straight ECF's with two Finals and one Title is still pretty great.

I'd love to have that kind of stretch this decade.
    I agree.

FWIW, I am not saying you "need" a star, but rather I think most GM's would prefer to have one guy to build around.

I can agree 110% that I would love to have a stretch like that.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

lol @ some highlights
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...ons/100208/one
    Bill Simmons

Kevin Martin (30): My favorite possibly available trade piece -- great contract, proven scorer, high hoops IQ, someone who'd thrive on a veteran team that protected him defensively and ran plays for him. Right now he's playing on a glorified pickup team with Tyreke Evans, who thinks "point guard" means "I get to dribble over midcourt." Not gonna fly. Someone like Martin is a luxury. You pamper him. You set him screens. You hook him up on slash-and-kicks. You go to him after games and say, "Hey, what's the best place to deliver the ball for you -- chest high and a little to the right?" He could absolutely be a contender's No. 1 scoring option like Reggie Miller or Rip Hamilton once upon a time. Stay tuned.

35. Chauncey Billups
    Thirty years from now, when the Pistons have finished their 30th straight losing season and officially switched places with the Lions in the Detroit landscape, someone will write a "Curse of Chauncey" book for which Joe Dumars will refuse to be interviewed.

-My thoughts exactly Bill.

Group G: "We'll Discuss Him, But You Can't Tell ANYONE"
    26. Danny Granger
    Starting to worry that he's a classic franchise player who looks great on your fantasy team, but if he's the No. 1 guy on your real team, you're going 32-50 and that's that.
    (Cut to the last remaining 3,500 Pacers fans nodding impassively.)

-How soon do they really start discussing trading Danny (secretly)? I would say at least another year. The 3-year plan will always be the excuse for Danny I think. And once the 3-year plan finally arrives and we are still horrible, Danny will be our Troy Murphy of today. Hoping to trade him so we can buy out an expiring and get a guy like Hickson.

I'd have to agree. Danny Granger's not yet the kind of player who can put his team on his back and necessarily win a game down the stretch by himself, ala, Kobe or LeBron, but I think he's close to being that type of players. He's really not that far away. Of course, it helps if he had the right caliber of players around him. Give him another year or two...

Banned

4 of the Grizzlies starting 5 made the list and if they took Tyreke Evans like they should have at #2 they could have had the whole squad.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I think he's equal to any of the players Detroit had on their championship teams.

He's just not Kobe, Lebron, Carmello..ect...

I'm just saying you can build a contending team without having a superstar..you need all stars, obviously..but you don't need a Lebron or Kobe.

I think there's a lack of realism in what people can get. Get a bunch of really good players/good players who play a good style..a team style..of basketball, and they'll be a very good team. You don't need three superstars, and truth is..most likely we won't get three superstars.
    I get kind of sick of all this talk of "Legit #1 scoring options". How many are there really in the NBA? Wade, Lebron, Kobe, Melo, uhh.... even Howard isn't much of a scorer. Odds are you just are NOT gonna get one of those guys.

However, you can build a TEAM of good players like the 90s pacers, the 00s Pistons, or the current Atlanta Hawks, and have some real success. You might even sneak in a win a title one year. Hey, I think thats pretty good.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    I get kind of sick of all this talk of "Legit #1 scoring options". How many are there really in the NBA? Wade, Lebron, Kobe, Melo, uhh.... even Howard isn't much of a scorer. Odds are you just are NOT gonna get one of those guys.

However, you can build a TEAM of good players like the 90s pacers, the 00s Pistons, or the current Atlanta Hawks, and have some real success. You might even sneak in a win a title one year. Hey, I think thats pretty good.
    I 100% agree. Granger is the # 1 scoring option on this team. I'm not asking Granger to take the team to the championships by himself. If Granger can average 23+ PPG, then I'm happy. Outside of Wade, Lebron, Kobe, and Melo (he's kinda a stretch for me, IMHO), how many dominant players are left in the NBA? The only thing that I want out of my Superstar/Franchise player is the mental toughness to WANT to take the team on his back when they're against the ropes. Granger has shown me that all last season, and in spurts this season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

3,500 remaining fans? Say it ain't so Bill, say it ain't so. I recenlty purchased a few extra tickets to bring some "transplants" (co-worker who moved from out-of-state) to a few quality Pacer games. I'm hoping to convert them. Spending the money will be worth the water cooler conversation.

Cheers.

Indy's #1 Hockey Fan Peter_sixtyftsixin's Avatar

Anyone else think Bill Simmons is an idiot? Or at least tire of his shtick?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_sixtyftsixin View Post
    Anyone else think Bill Simmons is an idiot? Or at least tire of his shtick?
    I don't. He sincerely makes me laugh pretty hard. Doesn't take much.

You ask me I think Granger is exactly what we need. We don't need a first rate superstar, a LeBron or a Wade, who's sitting on a max contract because if that's what we had, we wouldn't be able to add enough talent around him. I mean...didn't we just try that, with O'Neal?

Danny's the perfect guy for this team, what's needed is a couple more players of his caliber. I'd take 3 or 4 starters of his talent over a LeBron + medicore roleplayers, which by the way didn't earn Cleveland a championship over the last 6 years when that was really the case. Who cares who's the official "#1 guy on your team" if that team is winning?