Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Murph Is Cleveland's Plan B - Link - Pacers and Cavs have agreed on deal if plan A falls through

Default Murph Is Cleveland's Plan B - Link - Pacers and Cavs have agreed on deal if plan A falls through

If the Cavaliers aren't able to work out a deal with the Suns for Amare Stoudemire, they'll focus their attention on Indiana's Troy Murphy.

According to the Los Angeles Times, the Cavaliers and Pacers have agreed on a deal should Cleveland's pursuit of Stoudemire come up empty.

Cleveland would ship Zydrunas Ilgauskas and J.J. Hickson to Indiana for the power forward.

The Pacers may then waive Ilgauskas.

Lets pray that Amare somehow stays in Phoenix. Hickson is going to be a star.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...elands_plan_b/
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-15-2010 at 10:24 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to I Love P For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Murph Is Cleveland's Plan B - Link

Wow. I know Ferry's an idiot, but why would he possibly, wait, nevermind, he might be reading this.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Wait something doesn't add up.

Plan A is to trade Z and Hickson to the Suns for Amare

Plan B is to trade Z and Hickson to the Pacers for Murphy

Wow, even if you look only at the absoluate positives that Troy brings going from A to B is a huge downgrade for the Cavs.

I added the second part to the thread title, hope that is OK Bender - just wanted to be sure it was known that this is new info - otherwise it probably would get buried in the long Murphy thread
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-15-2010 at 11:10 AM.

Let's also hope that Bird isn't just waiting around for Cleveland to make up their minds.

Default Re: Murph Is Cleveland's Plan B - Link - Pacers and Cavs have agreed on deal if plan A falls through

Option A is a pipe dream. It is one of those rare deals that happens because the team is so scared of not being able to resign him that they give him away for a bag of stale chips. The suns should just risk it and try to sign him over the summer. I know it gives them a lot of flexibility but it always takes them to a 20-30 win team.

The Murphy deal is more of a realistic trade. Losing murphy with no replacement is going to be tough. He does give us that nice 15 ppg. I wonder who is going to step up with those points.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Murph Is Cleveland's Plan B - Link - Pacers and Cavs have agreed on deal if plan A falls through

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wait something doesn't add up.

Plan A is to trade Z and Hickson to the Suns for Amare

Plan B is to trade Z and Hickson to the Pacers for Murphy
    My Guess it that it's:

Z, Hickson, and Wally Szczerbiak (S&T) for Amare and Jason Richardson

{Unloading Richardson's contract is the sticking point for both parties}

or

Z and Hickson to the Pacers for Murphy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There is absolutely no way the Cavs have agreed on the same package for both Amare and Troy. If you are telling me that Troy is equal in value to Amare we should try to trade Granger for LeBron right now. There has to be more to it on the Amare side.

Mood

Hard to be upset if that's what we get for Murphy.

I think the same package from CLE is what they'd LIKE to only have to give up for Amar'e, but odds are they won't get him that cheap. At least I'd like to think so.

Banned

good that Murphy is somebody's plan B, I hope the pacers don't think the same thing, he should be plan Z for them.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Let's also hope that Bird isn't just waiting around for Cleveland to make up their minds.
    THIS!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Hard to be upset if that's what we get for Murphy.

I think the same package from CLE is what they'd LIKE to only have to give up for Amar'e, but odds are they won't get him that cheap. At least I'd like to think so.
    It looks to me like the Amare to CLE deal will go through by tomorrow, and the only way it won't happen is if Philly steps up and kicks Iggy into their deal for Amare-Barbosa.

That Traxxe guy was saying that there would probably be a pick and maybe some cash coming from Cleveland, but take that FWIW.

It's encouraging to hear that Murph is Cleveland's plan B, but I hope that we have a Plan B and Plan C. I really think we desperately need to dump the salary. I wouldn't be surprised at a "my crap for your crap" deal with Milwaukee...distant rumbles of Murphy-Ford for Ridnour-Gadz-Warrick-Alexander.

Just a straight salary dump, though the Pacers would probably try to hang onto Ridnour at a reduced rate after the season is over.

I don't buy it.

I doubt Cleveland will get Amare that cheap, there are always rumors like this, usually they amount to nothing. Maybe it will in this case, but I doubt it. I still don't see Cleveland giving up Hickson for Murphy, it just doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    I don't buy it.

I doubt Cleveland will get Amare that cheap, there are always rumors like this, usually they amount to nothing. Maybe it will in this case, but I doubt it. I still don't see Cleveland giving up Hickson for Murphy, it just doesn't make sense.
    Agreed, the Cavs have become like the Lakers, where the team's popularity causes sportswriters to breathlessly report every rumor, innuendo, or bit of speculation they can find, and then it gets magnified and exaggerated by the message boards and rumor sites.

This summer is going to be intolerable. "LeBron bought a Philly Cheese Steak, he's going to the Sixers!!!1!11!!"

Hickson will not be a star - he won't be as good as Tyler - he'll be a nice addition, but we need to be realistic about him. He won't look as good for the Pacers as he has for the Cavs playing with Lebron

17. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Cleveland is in "win now" mode. That's why they're willing to trade for a piece that will get them over the top instead of wait for a young player to develop.

I also don't think you can compare talent to talent in this case. Murphy is a decent talent that produces decent numbers. You can argue that Hickson would do the same with more minutes, but the key here IMO is their style of play. Murphy will stretch the defense by making the opposing center guard him at the 3 pt line. This is why he's so attractive to Cleveland. His presence will leave the rim unprotected and Lebron will feast on it.

If Bird can pull this off and get a big expiring contract along with a young promising PF, it will be one of his best moves since moving JO. Hickson will have the rest of the season to basically prove he's starting material. If he is, then you have a lot more flexibility come draft time. I have a feeling Murph will be moved no matter what. I just hope it's this deal or an even better one.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 2minutes twowa For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    It looks to me like the Amare to CLE deal will go through by tomorrow
    Why?

Yeah no way the same deal is going for Amare and Troy! Everyone can agree on that. And something tells me Amare isn't going to be traded at all. He stands to make more money in PHX. Cavs are really going to have sweetin the deal to make it happen. At least we will know by Thursday. I really hope we can swing something, but as I stated before wouldn't be surprised if nothing goes down for us
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Why?
    Because supposedly Miami doesn't have enough, and I don't think Philly is going to kick in Iguodala, which seems, from all of the different sources (Stein, Windhorst, Woj) to be the one deal that Phoenix likes better than what Cleveland is offering.

I think they'll basically know by tomorrow whether Philly's going to kick in Iggy.

Count your blessings Pacer fans. We may not land J.J. Hickson, but at least Steve Kerr isn't our general manager. The Pheonix fan base should be completely outraged by this deal and the manner in which Kerr has supplied Cleveland with top-tier talent for pennies on the dollar.

If it were possible to receive Amare in a sign-and-trade, I would be willing to offer much more than Cleveland. Amare-Granger-Hibbert would be an incredible front court. In fact, I don't know many teams in the league with that caliber of front court. The again, I suppose that is a pipe dream.

Cheers.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Because supposedly Miami doesn't have enough, and I don't think Philly is going to kick in Iguodala, which seems, from all of the different sources (Stein, Windhorst, Woj) to be the one deal that Phoenix likes better than what Cleveland is offering.

I think they'll basically know by tomorrow whether Philly's going to kick in Iggy.
    With that said, do we know PHO is willing to settle for Z and Hickson? Do we know for sure they won't keep him if that's the best offer?

With that said, do we know PHO is willing to settle for Z and Hickson? Do we know for sure they won't keep him if that's the best offer?
    We don't know anything, but the general consensus is that Phoenix is willing to take whatever Cleveland has on the table if nothing better comes along.

Nobody thinks they're going to keep Amare, because they think they'll lose him this summer for nothing.

Mood

I just don't see PHX being dumb enough to do this, they could do MUCH better.
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

28. The Following User Says Thank You to pianoman For This Useful Post:

Mood

We don't know anything, but the general consensus is that Phoenix is willing to take whatever Cleveland has on the table if nothing better comes along.

Nobody thinks they're going to keep Amare, because they think they'll lose him this summer for nothing.
    Well, If thats true, lets trade Tyler, Mike D, TJ Ford and a 2nd round pick for him! We could offer a much better deal than they could.

BEST CASE SCENARIO

We end up trading for Amare unexpectedly the day of the Trade deadline, but we don't have to give up as much as we think.
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
    I just don't see PHX being dumb enough to do this, they could do MUCH better.
    They could have much done better than to trade Kurt Thomas and 2 first round picks to the Thunder for 2 second round picks, but they didn't.......because they're owner was looking to shed salary.

Yes that trade actually did happen.

No we don't, IMO. But we love a good game of speculation!
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP