Thread: AP: Georgian Olympic Luger dies in crash

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default AP: Georgian Olympic Luger dies in crash

http://www.startribune.com/sports/ol...7PQLanchO7DiUr

VANCOUVER, British Columbia - An Olympic official with direct knowledge of the situation says a men's luger from the former Soviet republic of Georgia has died after a crash during training.

The official tells The Associated Press that the International Olympic Committee received confirmation of Nodar Kumaritashvili's death. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the 21-year-old luger's family hadn't been notified yet.

An official statement is to be released soon.

Kumaritashvili lost control of his sled near the finish Friday, went over the track wall and struck an unpadded steel pole near the finish line at Whistler Sliding Center.

Default Re: AP: Georgian Olympic Luger dies in crash

RIP

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Did anyone see the footage of the crash during the opening ceremonies? Did anyone notice that multiple lugers crashed in the same spot? Were talking the best of the best here, world class lugers and many of them are crashing in that spot in the same way. I wonder if they'll make a change to the course.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Poor kid never had a chance once he lost control. RIP.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

I got to see the footage up until right brfore he struck the pole. Hopefully they will modify the track a bit to make it safer. I have to give the local news for not showing all of the footage out of respect for him and his family.
    Last edited by jeffg-body; 02-13-2010 at 10:30 PM.

Each Olympics tries to outdo the last one by building a faster track. They like making the claim that their track set to world's record. Well, this one might just be too fast. Would it be a bad idea for a set track layout to be adopted ?? Or maybe have limits/specs that a new track must fit into ?? And major design flaw in having exposed steel beams at a potential crash area. Well, I guess ANY curve is a potential, but I digress ........... this one was at the end - when they're near top speed.

I'm not diminishing this guy's death at all. It's sad, yet, maybe it was avoidable. Sorry - I'm rambling ..............

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I got to see the footage up until right brfore he struck the pole. Hopefully they will modify the track a bit to make it safer. I have to give the local news for not showing all of the footage out of respect for him and his family.
    Well I stand corrected: The national news media just played it all of the way through showing him graphically slamming into the pole and also showed them performing CPR on the poor guy. Some television networks have no respect.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As I wondered above, they DID make changes. The men are launching from the womens ramp, and the women are launching even further down in an effort to keep from building so much speed toward the bottom. They also made a sligh adjustment in the ice at that curve and erected a wall that would prevent a crashed luger from flying into those steel beams.