Thread: Computer help, please.

Default Computer help, please.

I know nothing about computers. I have a 3 year old desktop that still runs pretty well. Lately I've been having problems with whatever page that I'm reading/working on will dissapear for a quick second, I'll see my desktop and it will come right back. If I have any major problems I'll take it to an expert, but I was wondering if any of you guys might suggest some software to "clean up" or something

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Computer help, please.

http://www.glaryutilities.com/

Glary Utilities. Download the free version if you want to try it. When you install, don't accept the 2nd agreement to install the Ask toolbar.

Glary has a number of tools and tabs, but it also has a tab that says One-Click Maintenance. That one, and the check-for-updates tab, are the only ones you really need to mess with.

The One-Click part has a registry cleaner and temp files eraser, among other things. Both could help your issue.

---------------------------

Before even installing anything, you can do this part:

If it's a Windows XP machine, you can go to All Programs / Accessories / System Tools, and use the Disk Cleanup tool, followed by the Disk Defragmenter (that one can take awhile). If it's Vista machine, I know those tools would be there someplace...just not sure where.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If it's Vista machine, I know those tools would be there someplace...just not sure where.
    It's Vista, I'll look for that first, thanks man!

When you say "page" do you mean webpage? Are you using Internet Explorer?

If yes to either, try Chrome:

http://www.google.com/chrome
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to try to fix his problem first before pimping an alternative product?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's an easy way to see if it's something hardware or software related. If it goes away in Chrome (or any other browser, no pimping here), he knows without a doubt that his problem is in IE.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    It's an easy way to see if it's something hardware or software related. If it goes away in Chrome (or any other browser, no pimping here), he knows without a doubt that his problem is in IE.
    Good point. I guess I'm assuming otherwise because of Anthem's passion for mentioning Linux when Windows is discussed.

It must be Internet Explorer. I took Kester's advice and did the "Disk Cleanup" and actually already had the "Disk Defragmenter" updating every week. I still had the same problems. I've been using Google Chrome (Thanks, Anthem) for a couple of hours now and things are running quick and smooth. Thanks guys.

Glad things are working.

I <3 Google Chrome.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to btowncolt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Good point. I guess I'm assuming otherwise because of Anthem's passion for mentioning Linux when Windows is discussed.
    Heh. I'm currently using a MacBookPro, but I'm pondering switching back to Windows because Chrome for PC is so much better than Chrome for Mac/Linux.

Regardless, even if Linux had never existed, the first solution to "I'm having a problem with my computer" is always "Try using a browser besides IE." Or maybe the second solution, with the first being "Try turning it off and then turning it back on."

Firefox used to be the browser I'd recommend, but these days it's all Chrome.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I was on Chrome for a while myself, but I missed all the add-ons for Firefox, and I eventually switched back. I've been purely (well, unless something wouldn't load and I had to use IE) Firefox for many months now.

Is Chrome developing a big list of user-made add-ons yet, or is it still what you see is what you get?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I was on Chrome for a while myself, but I missed all the add-ons for Firefox, and I eventually switched back. I've been purely (well, unless something wouldn't load and I had to use IE) Firefox for many months now.

Is Chrome developing a big list of user-made add-ons yet, or is it still what you see is what you get?
    Tons of add-ons now. I've replaced all the things I used in Firefox (with better versions) + about 20 other things.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to btowncolt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post
    Tons of add-ons now. I've replaced all the things I used in Firefox (with better versions) + about 20 other things.
    Why are you making posts that make sense? Are you feeling ok?

And I enjoy firefox, but I've been tempted to try Chrome.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    Why are you making posts that make sense? Are you feeling ok?

And I enjoy firefox, but I've been tempted to try Chrome.
    Snasslefrass.

sweabs

Sweet; giving Chrome another go now. Didn't have all the extensions I have for Firefox, but it had quite a few.

What extensions do you guys find really useful, either on Firefox or Chrome?

Enjoy your time at PD!

I liked being able to have FTP access within Firefox. I didn't see one for Chrome.

By the way, I've added a few for Chrome that I didn't have for Firefox, and I really dig one that lets you double-click on a word to cause an instant little popup right above it with the definition.