Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Computer help, please.

  1. #1
    Member Erik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    727

    Default Computer help, please.

    I know nothing about computers. I have a 3 year old desktop that still runs pretty well. Lately I've been having problems with whatever page that I'm reading/working on will dissapear for a quick second, I'll see my desktop and it will come right back. If I have any major problems I'll take it to an expert, but I was wondering if any of you guys might suggest some software to "clean up" or something

  2. #2
    The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Disgusta, GA
    Posts
    8,829
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Computer help, please.

    http://www.glaryutilities.com/

    Glary Utilities. Download the free version if you want to try it. When you install, don't accept the 2nd agreement to install the Ask toolbar.

    Glary has a number of tools and tabs, but it also has a tab that says One-Click Maintenance. That one, and the check-for-updates tab, are the only ones you really need to mess with.

    The One-Click part has a registry cleaner and temp files eraser, among other things. Both could help your issue.

    ---------------------------

    Before even installing anything, you can do this part:

    If it's a Windows XP machine, you can go to All Programs / Accessories / System Tools, and use the Disk Cleanup tool, followed by the Disk Defragmenter (that one can take awhile). If it's Vista machine, I know those tools would be there someplace...just not sure where.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Member Erik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    727

    Default Re: Computer help, please.

    Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If it's Vista machine, I know those tools would be there someplace...just not sure where.
    It's Vista, I'll look for that first, thanks man!

  5. #4
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Computer help, please.

    When you say "page" do you mean webpage? Are you using Internet Explorer?

    If yes to either, try Chrome:

    http://www.google.com/chrome
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Computer help, please.

    Wouldn't it be more appropriate to try to fix his problem first before pimping an alternative product?

  8. #6
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,221
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Computer help, please.

    It's an easy way to see if it's something hardware or software related. If it goes away in Chrome (or any other browser, no pimping here), he knows without a doubt that his problem is in IE.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Computer help, please.

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's an easy way to see if it's something hardware or software related. If it goes away in Chrome (or any other browser, no pimping here), he knows without a doubt that his problem is in IE.
    Good point. I guess I'm assuming otherwise because of Anthem's passion for mentioning Linux when Windows is discussed.

  11. #8
    Member Erik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    727

    Default Re: Computer help, please.

    It must be Internet Explorer. I took Kester's advice and did the "Disk Cleanup" and actually already had the "Disk Defragmenter" updating every week. I still had the same problems. I've been using Google Chrome (Thanks, Anthem) for a couple of hours now and things are running quick and smooth. Thanks guys.

  12. #9

    Default Re: Computer help, please.

    Glad things are working.

    I <3 Google Chrome.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to btowncolt For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Computer help, please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good point. I guess I'm assuming otherwise because of Anthem's passion for mentioning Linux when Windows is discussed.
    Heh. I'm currently using a MacBookPro, but I'm pondering switching back to Windows because Chrome for PC is so much better than Chrome for Mac/Linux.

    Regardless, even if Linux had never existed, the first solution to "I'm having a problem with my computer" is always "Try using a browser besides IE." Or maybe the second solution, with the first being "Try turning it off and then turning it back on."

    Firefox used to be the browser I'd recommend, but these days it's all Chrome.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  15. #11
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Computer help, please.

    I was on Chrome for a while myself, but I missed all the add-ons for Firefox, and I eventually switched back. I've been purely (well, unless something wouldn't load and I had to use IE) Firefox for many months now.

    Is Chrome developing a big list of user-made add-ons yet, or is it still what you see is what you get?

  16. #12

    Default Re: Computer help, please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was on Chrome for a while myself, but I missed all the add-ons for Firefox, and I eventually switched back. I've been purely (well, unless something wouldn't load and I had to use IE) Firefox for many months now.

    Is Chrome developing a big list of user-made add-ons yet, or is it still what you see is what you get?
    Tons of add-ons now. I've replaced all the things I used in Firefox (with better versions) + about 20 other things.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to btowncolt For This Useful Post:


  18. #13

    Default Re: Computer help, please.

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tons of add-ons now. I've replaced all the things I used in Firefox (with better versions) + about 20 other things.
    Why are you making posts that make sense? Are you feeling ok?


    And I enjoy firefox, but I've been tempted to try Chrome.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  19. #14

    Default Re: Computer help, please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why are you making posts that make sense? Are you feeling ok?


    And I enjoy firefox, but I've been tempted to try Chrome.
    Snasslefrass.

  20. #15
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: Computer help, please.


  21. #16
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Computer help, please.

    Sweet; giving Chrome another go now. Didn't have all the extensions I have for Firefox, but it had quite a few.

  22. #17
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Computer help, please.

    What extensions do you guys find really useful, either on Firefox or Chrome?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  23. #18
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Computer help, please.

    I liked being able to have FTP access within Firefox. I didn't see one for Chrome.

  24. #19
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Computer help, please.

    By the way, I've added a few for Chrome that I didn't have for Firefox, and I really dig one that lets you double-click on a word to cause an instant little popup right above it with the definition.

Similar Threads

  1. OT Computer to computer file transfer
    By SycamoreKen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-22-2004, 01:31 AM
  2. OT - Computer Hardware questions
    By ChicagoJ in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-13-2004, 06:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •