Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bird asks for our patience...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Bird asks for our patience...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4905746

Updated: February 11, 2010, 1:57 PM ET
    Fans asked to hang with 18-win PacersComment Email Print Share Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- Pacers president Larry Bird is urging fans to remain patient through the team's struggles.

Indiana enters the All-Star break with an 18-34 record, well out of the playoff race after missing the postseason for the past three seasons. Last month, some players were openly wondering if their "weak-minded" defense could be righted and attendance woes have been a problem now for years, along with assorted off-the-court issues.

Yet Bird says the rebuilding phase that began when the Pacers traded Ron Artest in 2006 is on target, and will move into high gear after next season when the team gets salary cap space.

"We knew that we had to clean it out and rebuild it, and we knew we were going to go through some tough times," Bird told The Associated Press this week. "Nobody likes to lose, and everybody wants to be a part of a winner. We think we're on the right track to get there."

Bird also took the pressure off coach Jim O'Brien, who is in his third year after back-to-back 36-46 seasons. O'Brien signed a one-year extension last September to coach through the end of next season, and Bird said he is in no danger of being replaced.

"The one thing Jimmy bought into when he came here was that we were going to rebuild, and we were going to struggle at times," Bird said. "I always say the losses are on me because I want him to work these guys hard, develop the young guys we have and keep moving forward with what we have."

The Pacers have suffered through a series of injuries. Top scorer Danny Granger missed a month with a heel injury, center Jeff Foster is out for the season with a back injury, guard/forward Mike Dunleavy missed several weeks while recovering from knee surgery and rookie forward Tyler Hansbrough has missed the past month with an inner ear infection.

Healthy or not, Bird expected rough times.

"Even if we were healthy all year, I thought we could win 36 to 41 games with this team," he said. "In a rebuilding phase, which I think we're on track with, we'll just have to go forward with it."

Bird, whose résumé includes three NBA titles and three MVP awards with the Boston Celtics, said the Pacers still could play better.

"The one thing about this team is that we stand too much and we settle way too much for the outside shot," he said. "If we get to the hole and put the pressure on the defense, we're a lot better. When we stand and just take outside shots, we have a tendency to struggle."

Granger, an All Star last season, hasn't been quite as good this season. He's still averaging 22.4 points per game, but that's down more than three points from last season. He's also shooting four percent lower from the field.

Forward Troy Murphy has remained steady, despite trade rumors. He averages 14 points and 9.9 rebounds per game.

Part of the rebuilding process has led the Pacers to play younger players. O'Brien sat point guard T.J. Ford for 18 games while getting rookie A.J. Price some additional minutes.

"T.J. knows that I respect his game, and he knows how much I like him," Bird said. "It's unfortunate that they're in that situation, but at that time, we wanted to see if A.J. could play, and we know he can."

A bright spot has been second-year center Roy Hibbert. The 7-foot-2 Georgetown product has become a fan favorite with flashes of dominance. He's averaging 11.1 points and 5.9 rebounds per game, but that comes with 3.6 fouls every 24 minutes. He also sometimes struggles against quicker post players.

"With Roy, he's made great strides," Bird said. "He'll continue to get better because of his work ethic. He'll struggle at times, but I think in the long run, he'll be a very valuable player for us."

Second-year guard Brandon Rush has been inconsistent, but has shown potential. He's averaging 8.7 points and 4.1 rebounds. Hopes were high after he averaged 18.3 points and shot 55 percent from the field in the final 10 games last season.

Eventually, Bird said, the young core players will gain experience playing as a unit under O'Brien. Until then, he said, wins might not come as often as fans would like.

"Jimmy's done an excellent job of doing the things I want him to do," Bird said. "It won't show in wins and losses, but it will show in the long run."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bird asks for our patience...

I've been patient since that November night of 2004 in Auburn Hills, MI. How much longer?!?!?!?!?
    And the walls came tumbling down.....

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Smith For This Useful Post:

Banned

blah blah blah blahhhhhhhhh.................

evil, pure evil

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Well at least he admits we are rebuilding.

Also I think this does make me consider more that there might have been some truth to that rumor that O'Brien said he could handle losing 50 games a season during his interview with Bird.

Also I think it's safe to say that Jim O'Brien will return as our coach next season.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also I think it's safe to say that Jim O'Brien will return as our coach next season.
    If Bird's committed to keeping Obie next year, then he needs to give him a roster that FORCES him to play the players that need PT.

In other words, that TJ/Troy for Ray Allen trade is looking better and better.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

OK. I'll be patient.

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

In other words, that TJ/Troy for Ray Allen trade is looking better and better.
    say wha?

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bird
    "Jimmy's done an excellent job of doing the things I want him to do. It won't show in wins and losses, but it will show in the long run."
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 02-11-2010 at 02:50 PM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Well at least he admits we are rebuilding.

Also I think this does make me consider more that there might have been some truth to that rumor that O'Brien said he could handle losing 50 games a season during his interview with Bird.

Not renewing my tickets.

Losing I was prepared for. Insanely mixed signals, excuses that Bird now claims are not needed (via more excuses), lack of player development at times, a nearly imperceptible direction of offensive style...

I'll watch 60 losses of Roy trying to become a good post player and accept that if Rush, Price, Josh and Tyler aren't getting it then they aren't getting it and we need new players.

But how in the heck are they supposed to be good enough next year if they aren't developing now?

Go ahead, draft Aldrich. I won't be going to games anyway.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Really nothing new here.

I know most of you don't like losing. As Bird said, no one does. You want your GM to do something magical, but that doesn't happen without assets. The only faster way to rebuild assets is to get lucky in the draft.

The bottom line is we will be one of the up and coming teams everyone points to at the end of next season. All we have to do is be patient like Bird said.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by USF View Post
    Yet Bird says the rebuilding phase that began when the Pacers traded Ron Artest in 2006 is on target, and will move into high gear after next season when the team gets salary cap space.
    So things are really gonna get into high gear as we enter the 6th season of our three year rebuild?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Goldfoot For This Useful Post:

Banned

Im not going to any other game and Im done for the year unless they fire JOB
    Last edited by vnzla81; 02-11-2010 at 02:48 PM.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by USF View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4905746

"The one thing about this team is that we stand too much and we settle way too much for the outside shot," he said. "If we get to the hole and put the pressure on the defense, we're a lot better. When we stand and just take outside shots, we have a tendency to struggle."
    I'd be happier with the whole thing if LJB could just tell me how he expects O'Brien to correct this.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

in other news.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    So things are really gonna get into high gear as we enter the 6th season of our three year rebuild?
    I don't think you can call it a 6 year rebuild, up until the point we trade Jackson and Harrington away, we were still a playoff team. Bird thought we could remain a playoff team with the emergence of Granger, so he made tweaks here and there, and the Murphy/Dunleavy experiment fell flat on its face due to injuries. So we've only been rebuilding for about 3 years now.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

All I care about is youth develepment. If Bird is going to keep Obrien he better be sending standing orders of "Play the kids or its your ***". No more BS about Price going back to the bench. Find some PT for Mcbob while your at it.

I can only hope and pray that one of these trades goes down, and we lose one or both of TJ and Murphy, which will somewhat force obrien's hand.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

I'd also add to the main topic, I have no issue with what Bird says here, I knew after last year this team wasn't making the playoffs until the big contracts are gone, but when he says he is pleased with the way JOB developing the players; I simply throw up in my mouth. JOB does not have an offensive system that develops young players.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Go ahead, draft Aldrich. I won't be going to games anyway.[/QUOTE]

easy grasshopper, they still might draft Luke Harogdy(sp?)
    Sittin on top of the world!

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Really nothing new here.

I know most of you don't like losing. As Bird said, no one does. You want your GM to do something magical, but that doesn't happen without assets. The only faster way to rebuild assets is to get lucky in the draft.

The bottom line is we will be one of the up and coming teams everyone points to at the end of next season. All we have to do is be patient like Bird said.
    Not trying to be funny but was that meant to be in green? Or do you really believe so?
    Sittin on top of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I don't think you can call it a 6 year rebuild, up until the point we trade Jackson and Harrington away, we were still a playoff team. Bird thought we could remain a playoff team with the emergence of Granger, so he made tweaks here and there, and the Murphy/Dunleavy experiment fell flat on its face due to injuries. So we've only been rebuilding for about 3 years now.
    Bird's asking us to be patient until after next season. The beginning of the '11-'12 season. So.....

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    All I care about is youth develepment. If Bird is going to keep Obrien he better be sending standing orders of "Play the kids or its your ***". No more BS about Price going back to the bench. Find some PT for Mcbob while your at it.

I can only hope and pray that one of these trades goes down, and we lose one or both of TJ and Murphy, which will somewhat force obrien's hand.
    I've been there since the day JO was traded for a #1 and cap space.

Get rid of the vets and go young.

The trade deadline is a big event on the calendar.

I don't mind watching the young guys even if Jim is the coach. But to watch him coach with Ford and Murphy on the court just makes me ill.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

we are just gonna let the contracts expire - including JOB's...no trades - no change of coaches - just let it all ride out...Bird sounds like he is more of a stand pat guy than Walsh ever was...

I think we just all misunderstood Bird and O'Brien meaning of rebuilding and developing. You see most GMs and coaches use those terms when it comes to young players just getting use to the NBA.

Now Bird and O"brien on the other hand... they're ahead game... miles ahead of league thinking these days. While develop and rebuild young players, when you can do the same veteran players that already have the NBA experience

Think about it, it's so much easier, these guys have already been in the league for years, the teaching and coaching will be simple. Who cares if they don't execute or they're outmatched on the court. At least they know what they're suppose to be doing, they're just not very good at doing it. That's a lot better then taking the time to develop a young player who could be very good at, or perhaps is already better at it then some, but doesn't get the chance to show it.

I mean why waste time with potential, when you can just skip a couple steps and develop 6-10 year guys from other teams you pulled a fast one on