Thread: Why I think Murphy trade will be difficult

Default Why I think Murphy trade will be difficult

I've seen a few threads discussing the Pacers asking too much for Murphy in trades, and so I was curious, what is and what should be the most important return?

I personally think we're asking so much, because this teams NEEDS so much, think about it.

I believe we're close to the cap, or luxury tax next season, so we would like expiring contracts, but you can't just take on an expiring contract because then you lose depth and talent.

Take for example the Murphy to the Cavs deal. It's rumored the Cavs don't want to give up Hickson or their 1st round draft pick, so that would leave Z's expiring, though that would help towards salary cap situations, we don't get any player or talent to show for it, and the cap relief isn't going to be enough to go out and make a difference in free agency

Then you ask.. why not just trade Murphy to the Cavs and send Z to another team looking for cap space, and get players in return that way. Well you would then need an expiring coming from the other team to help out with the cap situation

Unfortunately Murphy is our biggest trading chip we have that we're willing to get rid of, but as we all know, his value isn't what his stats can make it out to be.

So what Bird has to do is find a team, or a combination of teams that will somehow land the Pacers an expiring deal worth enough to help the cap situation, as well as throw in a young talented player or picks that can lead to a young talented player. And young doesn't necessarily mean 1st or 2nd year guys.

If Bird can't find a combination to his liking of expiring deals and young talent, then Murphy will remain on the roster until summer or next year's deadline. If Bird only wanted an expiring contract, Murphy would already be gone.

If a team offers Bird and expiring contract, as well as a player or 2 that can fit into our plans moving forward... we'll have new Pacers come Feb. 18th.

Trouble being, I'm not sure which team or teams will be willing to give up an expiring contract AND young talent for Troy Murphy.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Why I think Murphy trade will be difficult

If money is going to make the decision, the conversation and debate may as well end. Murphy for Z. Just cut the salary and move on.

Otherwise, they should hold out for young talent or a pick higher than 20 in the first round. Nothing else is really worthwhile particularly when we are thin at the 4.

I think if the Cavs want Murphy, they have to give up Hickson. If the others want Murphy, I want a decent first round pick and a salary cut.

As much as I'd like to see Troy in another uniform, we just lost Foster and Hans is out. We are very, very thin at the 4 and I don't want Armstrong who is no better than Josh.

It'll also be entertaining to see what our first game after the All-star break looks like? Will the Pacers have any new additions the next time we see them? If not will anyone be sitting out or not playing, when they usually do?

I would trade Murphy/Ford to Cleveland and take back Z/ D. West ( heard he had a real small buyout for next year)and 1st round pick. If they don`t have to give up Hickson in the deal it might might be appealing to them.

If the Pacers are going to make a trade with Cleveland they might have to take Z and another player besides Hickson (such as Danny Green or Daniel Gibson). I honestly have no problems with that at all. Hickson's a nice intriguing talent, but it's not as difficult to be effective when LeBron's the guy giving you good looks.

I think we have to get past THIN at PF. It means thin the remainder of a throw away season. You still have Solo and McBob who can play the position. Evidently, D Jones and Danny can too. The Pacers need to make the best deal for the future without regard to the rest of this season. Anything being done with any regard for this season is short-sighted nonsense.

I don't care if they have NO Power Forwards for the next 30 games, if it means something better beyond that.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

My concern is that Bird will overplay his hand here. Recall the J O'Neal trade with LA...rumor was he wanted both Odom and Bynum. We ended up with neither and now either would have been a nice trading piece. True, it landed us Hibbert in the end, but the true centerpiece of that trade was TJ, who is/isn't on the bench.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kellogg For This Useful Post:

We just need to take their 2011 1st. round pick and if they want to throw another player at us to open the roster spot for Z after we cut him that's fine as well. That player would have to have a very low salary anyway for the trade to work. If they just want to send us Z straight up, or give us their 2010 1st. then I don't want the Pacers to do it.
    We need something of real value in it for us other then getting rid of Murphys salary a year early. Even if Lebron stays the 2011 pick will be any worse then the 2010 pick. If he leaves we may have a nice pick on our hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we have to get past THIN at PF. It means thin the remainder of a throw away season. You still have Solo and McBob who can play the position. Evidently, D Jones and Danny can too. The Pacers need to make the best deal for the future without regard to the rest of this season. Anything being done with any regard for this season is short-sighted nonsense.

I don't care if they have NO Power Forwards for the next 30 games, if it means something better beyond that.

Some common sense prevails!!