Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So can we talk about Dunleavy for a bit?

Default Re: So can we talk about Dunleavy for a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This guy has played 30-40 games this season, and you still buy this game shape excuse? Its not like he was lounging around on the couch all training camp.
    Perhaps I should not have used the term "game shape" because that is only a fraction of what Mike is trying to get right. he has been unable to do any leg strengthening exercises this season at all, he has been unable to participate in practice when it involves anything with his legs. he is trying to come back from a very serious injury and getting back to the point where he can play NBA basketball again at a high level takes a ton of work.

Look at KG he's not been himself this season and his injury is not nearly as serious as Mike's and KG played most of last regular season and KG is a better athlete.

Overcoming injuries takes time, getting in NBA condition can take over a year when an injury is involved.

I can only imagine how hard it would be to come back and play a sport after 1 year off. I played both soccer and baseball and if I took one year off I know it would take a while to get back into form. Especially at this high a level (NBA). I just think again this is just another reaction to how the season has gone. First it was Granger sucks thread, then JOB, then Murphy, then Ford now its Duns turn. Just saying this is a forum of discussion and normally when things are not going well the forum tends to go toward s the negative and when things are going well then posts and threads turn towards the positive.
    JOB is a silly man

This guy has played 30-40 games this season, and you still buy this game shape excuse? Its not like he was lounging around on the couch all training camp.
    I think UB is talking about Dunleavy getting confidence back in the knee... possibly still strengthening/healing the knee... learning how it reacts in various situations now... compensating for new limitations after the surgery... etc...

IOW... Dealing with the after-effects of knee surgery (mentally and physically), not simply getting himself back into game shape.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Dude you just dont like the guy. I get where you are coming from but the guy had a freaking bone spur removed from a crucial ligament and couldnt do crap for a year. Not to mention his history is when he works out he burns it off during the season. He loses like 10-15 pounds during the basketball season. That by itself takes a toll on your body. Just watch next year is his contract year. If I was a fantasy owner I would take a shot on him next year.
    JOB is a silly man

I've come to the point where I just don't really care about the rest of the season. Let Jimmy coach as always, let Jimmy play Murphy & Dunleavy, don't play play Price, don't start Hibbert, etc. It's just going to get the Pacers a better draft pick come June. That's the only silver lining I can see in this dark cloud hanging over the Pacers.

Coming back from a knee injury isn't going to take a month. It'll take a long time. Perhaps even two years.

That said, Dun is clearly frustrated. I'm not sure who it's with, but he's clearly not happy with members of the team/coaching staff. And he's in "screw it" mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Coming back from a knee injury isn't going to take a month. It'll take a long time. Perhaps even two years.

That said, Dun is clearly frustrated. I'm not sure who it's with, but he's clearly not happy with members of the team/coaching staff. And he's in "screw it" mode.
    He is frustrated, but what we don't know if it is with his own physical condition, not being able to do what he knows how to do or if it is with the coaches and teammates. Likely it is probably a combo of all three, but I would guess more so with his own condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    He is frustrated, but what we don't know if it is with his own physical condition, not being able to do what he knows how to do or if it is with the coaches and teammates. Likely it is probably a combo of all three, but I would guess more so with his own condition.
    100% agree
    JOB is a silly man

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is a guy that was supposed to miss 12 months after surgery which is almost the entire season and has been rushed back onto the court so the team can get "some" productivity from him.

Some of you really need to re-think your expectations.

Anything we get from Dunleavy during 2009-2010 is gravy. What matters is that he's healthy and in shape for the 2010-11 season.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    it is going to take a year for us to know. He needs an offseason, training camp, and then we'll know
    What?

You don't need a year to play back into game shape. It's not like he got surgery in DEC, he was rehabbing before the season to the point that he apparently could practice and then eventually play.

The defense of his play instead of lingering injury like Anthem and I said was as Anthem pointed out - "he's playing back up to game shape".

I went on one of my rants about how that was nuts about a month ago, and now we are a month farther along and it's still the same or worse.

On top of that, this is NOT his top form because he put up previously better numbers. He's either hurt or doesn't care.

Here's the doesn't care angle - look at his "confidence" based up and down seasons at GSW. Hmm, looks familiar.

Guys have hot streaks, but they don't go in spurts of a full year, more like weeks or even game to game.

I've also seen him make blatantly silly, half-effort passes. I've seen him throw passes almost directly to the other team, like on outlets to guys 8 feet away. If you don't have your legs, step in closer and stop taking shots your know you can't make....oh, except he has nights where he actually shoots better from deep than inside.

It's either that or he's still hurt, or perhaps is permanently damaged now and will never be better than this. And if he's hurt so bad that he's playing at this low level, then WTF is he playing at all!!!!!

A guy as "hurt" as this needs to shut it down when the team is clearly not a playoff contender. If he's not hurt then it's mental/emotional.

What is insulting to me to even suggest at this point is that "he still gets winded and his legs are weak". Freaking Fat Shaq played himself into game shape in less time than this, and more than once.

And as you get better you show signs of PROGRESS. Sheesh.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 02-10-2010 at 04:23 PM.

I think you're forgetting the mental aspect of coming back from a knee injury.

I don't know what exactly happened with Dunn. But as a Uconn fan, I've seen enough freaking knee injuries (five season ending knee injuries the past two seasons)

There's a mental aspect to it that is so often overlooked by people.

There's no way of knowing if he's physically there yet, but he's certainly mentally struggling. And then we add in all the other crap...

I've been disapointed in him as a leader for many reasons. But I give him a break, because coming back from such a major knee injury is gonna take time.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    What?

You don't need a year to play back into game shape. It's not like he got surgery in DEC, he was rehabbing before the season to the point that he apparently could practice and then eventually play.

The defense of his play instead of lingering injury like Anthem and I said was as Anthem pointed out - "he's playing back up to game shape".

I went on one of my rants about how that was nuts about a month ago, and now we are a month farther along and it's still the same or worse.

On top of that, this is NOT his top form because he put up previously better numbers. He's either hurt or doesn't care.

Here's the doesn't care angle - look at his "confidence" based up and down seasons at GSW. Hmm, looks familiar.

Guys have hot streaks, but they don't go in spurts of a full year, more like weeks or even game to game.

I've also seen him make blatantly silly, half-effort passes. I've seen him throw passes almost directly to the other team, like on outlets to guys 8 feet away. If you don't have your legs, step in closer and stop taking shots your know you can't make....oh, except he has nights where he actually shoots better from deep than inside.

It's either that or he's still hurt, or perhaps is permanently damaged now and will never be better than this. And if he's hurt so bad that he's playing at this low level, then WTF is he playing at all!!!!!

A guy as "hurt" as this needs to shut it down when the team is clearly not a playoff contender. If he's not hurt then it's mental/emotional.

What is insulting to me to even suggest at this point is that "he still gets winded and his legs are weak". Freaking Fat Shaq played himself into game shape in less time than this, and more than once.

And as you get better you show signs of PROGRESS. Sheesh.
    I watched Dun in GS and he never played at this level even then that is why to me this points to physical. He didnt play this bad even when he got booed. You dont fall off the map like he has from 17ppg to 9ppg unless something is wrong. For most posters on here to jump on him this season is ridiculous. Even if he was 100% healthy the fact that people are on his *** makes them look silly. Sorry Seth but it does. The guy had almost career ending surgery and for people to expect him to be 100% game shape and 100% leg strength right now is crazy. He can still play and every now and then contribute. That is what he gets paid to do. I agree I wish he would sit out and rest until next year since this year means diddily poo right now but it is not going to happen. He still can help the team win even if he is struggling. Its not like his absence last year made the team any better.
    JOB is a silly man

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

His mechanics are s*&t right now. Anything that he shoots quickly, like curling off screens, is going to be off. The only thing he really seems to be hitting is feet planted set shots. That smells like knee issue to me. Whether it be pain, conditioning or whatever. To be honest, I'm shocked at his percentages. I didn't figure them anywhere near that high.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I've come to the point where I just don't really care about the rest of the season. Let Jimmy coach as always, let Jimmy play Murphy & Dunleavy, don't play play Price, don't start Hibbert, etc. It's just going to get the Pacers an infinitesimally greater chance at being selected for a better draft pick come June. That's the only silver lining I can see in this dark cloud hanging over the Pacers.

fixed.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

I'd rather trade Mike than Murph at this point. Murph has played much better than Mike this year. Watching Mike out there reminds me of watching a globetrotters game without the fancy stuff. He just runs the routes, passes the ball when he is supposed to, he is on autopilot all the time. When the ball bounces the other direction he seems to ignore it and just keep on going on his route. Like that rebound last night at the end of the game. WAKE UP DUDE!!

What drives me crazy (even more) is how our coach criticizes Rush constantly but you never hear a word about Mike. I think our coach is scared of him. I have no idea what logic or reasoning our coach uses anymore or the motivations behind what he says. I'd like to sit down with him and have a good debate over a few beers to see if he can defend his position.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I think Mike looks a lot thinner, even a bit anemic. You'd think the injury would make him gain weight, not lose it.

Maybe he has some other illness we don't know about.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I think Mike looks a lot thinner, even a bit anemic. You'd think the injury would make him gain weight, not lose it.

Maybe he has some other illness we don't know about.
    He always has put on poundage during the offseason because he knows he is going to drop 15-20 pounds during the season. One thing this past off season though is he was not able to put on that extra muscle because he was busy rehabbing. It has always been that way ever since college. I think he just needs the off season more than anyone. He needs to stay at 20 min a night and play no more than that right now.
    JOB is a silly man

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

1) Injury worsens...

2) Surgery needed, could be career threatening...

3) Rehab...

4) Getting close to playing...

5) Injury set back...

6) More Rehab...

7) Missing camp & first 1/4 of season...

8) Not being a starter & poor play...

9) Not being 100% healthy, can't do what once could..

10) Rumors of Trades, including guy he played w/ his entire career...

11) Daily interaction w/ JO'B... :

12) Knowing I'm likely not in the teams "3 year plan"...
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Bird seems to have the potential to be a very hands off, impersonal manager.
    Bird was also a hands off coach who let Harter and Carlisle do the coaching for him so this isn't surprising.

Dun comes from a culture where you don't quit doing your best because you don't like your coach or teammates. I would guess this is about his injury and the frustration of not playing the way he should.
    Last edited by speakout4; 02-10-2010 at 06:53 PM.

Frustration at not playing well and the team not playing well. The guy has played what, 57 games in the past 2 seasons and had to go through a lot of rehab without being in the game shape he is used to be in?

The fact that he averages 3pg more with rest really makes me feel that way. If there was an injury risk to make it worse I'm sure that he wouldn't be playing.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He didn't have major reconstructive knee surgery, he had a large bone spur rubbing and causing pain. They removed the spur without causing problems with the patella. His knee should be better than it's been for many years.

Everything I've read said the surgery went better than expected. His rehab went better than expected, he returned faster than expected. He had a few minor setbacks but still returned months ahead of schedule.

I don't buy that it's just a physical problem, he does not favor the knee. I don't buy it's a confidence thing. He looked very confident early and played very well. He just continues to get worse and worse. All I know is a lot of these excuses people are making for him make zero sense.

He's not playing much different than he did in Golden State. When is it time to just call him Doneleavy and move on. Maybe the sooner any remnants of the horrible Golden State trade are gone the better.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    He didn't have major reconstructive knee surgery, he had a large bone spur rubbing and causing pain. They removed the spur without causing problems with the patella. His knee should be better than it's been for many years.

Everything I've read said the surgery went better than expected. His rehab went better than expected, he returned faster than expected. He had a few minor setbacks but still returned months ahead of schedule.

I don't buy that it's just a physical problem, he does not favor the knee. I don't buy it's a confidence thing. He looked very confident early and played very well. He just continues to get worse and worse. All I know is a lot of these excuses people are making for him make zero sense.

He's not playing much different than he did in Golden State. When is it time to just call him Doneleavy and move on. Maybe the sooner any remnants of the horrible Golden State trade are gone the better.
    I will agree to disagree on so many levels with this. To each his own
    JOB is a silly man

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Anything we get from Dunleavy during 2009-2010 is gravy.
    This gravy is hurting the meal. Not all gravy is good. Dunleavy's gravy is made from urine and sits atop our open faced turd sandwich that we call a team. His contributions haven't helped the team in any way. Entirely the opposite.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This gravy is hurting the meal. Not all gravy is good. Dunleavy's gravy is made from urine and sits atop our open faced turd sandwich that we call a team. His contributions haven't helped the team in any way. Entirely the opposite.
    Sometimes I eat while reading PD. Glad I wasn't just now.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

To help with UB's point ....

3 years ago I had a major life/death surgery. I have a foot long scar right down the middle of my stomach. Even to this day when I play basketball when someone lowers a shoulder into my stomach ... even if for just a split second I still question if that's going to be the one that hurts.

I'm 99% sure it'll never hurt, but mentally ... believe me it still makes you wonder. It used to bother me a lot more, and it's this mental worry that I believe UB is talking about. I know it quite well, and he's probably correct. Every time Mike cuts he probably has that same worry in his head that I do ... "Is this the one that hurts??!".

You can't reduce, or get that out of your head by sitting on the bench.

-- Steve --