Thread: Knicks discuss deal for McGrady (Yahoo! Sports)

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lightbulb Knicks discuss deal for McGrady (Yahoo! Sports)

Knicks discuss deal for McGrady - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Yahoo! Sports
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 9 hours, 47 minutes ago

The Houston Rockets are in the discussion stages of a complicated, three-team trade that would send Tracy McGrady(notes) to the New York Knicks, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The centerpieces of the trade would include the Washington Wizards shipping forward Caron Butler(notes) and center Brendan Haywood(notes) to the Rockets. The Knicks would send Al Harrington(notes) to the Wizards. For the Wizards’ part, they would still need another player, as well as a draft pick and cash to make this a workable scenario, sources said.

Other players and contracts would still need to be agreed upon for a deal to come together, but there is a framework to the discussions.

The Rockets have been peddling McGrady’s expiring contract of $23 million since exiling him in late December.

Default Re: Knicks discuss deal for McGrady (Yahoo! Sports)

Wow. That would be an amazing trade for the Rockets.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Mood

Would the Wizards be acquring Al to replace Jamison?

streets ahead

The deal doesn't make sense for the Wiz as is - Haywood's deal is an exp contract and Butler has one more year at $10.6. I can't imagine that they see Al as a longterm solution if they think Caron is too old to rebuild around. The "other players" would be the crucial part for Washington, I imagine.

As for the Knicks? They're clearly looking to move Jeffries or Curry in this deal. I don't know why either team would take them unless they add appropriate sweetener.

Houston? Haywood is a playoff / defensive investment, Caron is a quality SF. I suppose it depends on what else they'd be giving up, but it seems like a quality deal.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Would the Wizards be acquring Al to replace Jamison?
    I doubt it.

I think they acquire Al for what he's valued at now...an Expiring Contract. The Wizards are looking to shed Caron Butler's contract to get out from under the LT next season.

What's puzzling to me is that the Wizards have an option to essentially dump a bigger albatross of a contract with an older Jamison. The problem is that they're asking price maybe a little too high for the Cavs and the Wizards FO has some "bad blood" with the Cavs FO. I'd think that it would make more sense to dump Jamison while holding onto a younger Player with as much value and a shorter contract.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Al is already expiring, so for NY to gain anything, they need to move either Jefferies &/or Curry in the deal.
    something that works $ wise is:

McGrady (exp) to NY
    Jefferies, Harrington (exp) to Washington
    Curry, Butler, Haywood to Houston

IMO Washington needs some picks, cheep youth (Chandler or Robinson from NY?) to make this more appealing, but does save them $ w/ Al's exp contract, but this is along the lines of what NY would have to do to match McGrady's $23 mil. contract.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Wow. That would be an amazing trade for the Rockets.

...but...I thought that expiring contracts were no longer capable of netting an All-Star...

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    ...but...I thought that expiring contracts were no longer capable of netting an All-Star...
    I think that the Expiring Contract of TMac is worth a little bit more then the Expiring Contract of Harrington. On the surface, an Expiring Contract is an Expiring Contract....but I'm guessing there is some reason for DW wanting TMac over Al Harrington on this roster.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    Al is already expiring, so for NY to gain anything, they need to move either Jefferies &/or Curry in the deal.
    something that works $ wise is:

McGrady (exp) to NY
    Jefferies, Harrington (exp) to Washington
    Curry, Butler, Haywood to Houston

IMO Washington needs some picks, cheep youth (Chandler or Robinson from NY?) to make this more appealing, but does save them $ w/ Al's exp contract, but this is along the lines of what NY would have to do to match McGrady's $23 mil. contract.

IIRC, Zeke enticed Jeffries as a RFA to sign with the Knicks, so it's not like the Wiz are unfamiliar with Jeffries.

Robinson is a FA as is Lee, so maybe Lee is in the deal b/c it's going to cost NY major bucks to re-sign Lee that they don't want to spend.

I hope Carl Landry isn't in the deal.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    IIRC, Zeke enticed Jeffries as a RFA to sign with the Knicks, so it's not like the Wiz are unfamiliar with Jeffries.

Robinson is a FA as is Lee, so maybe Lee is in the deal b/c it's going to cost NY major bucks to re-sign Lee that they don't want to spend.

I hope Carl Landry isn't in the deal.
    One of the main reason why the Wizards are trying to move Butler is to get out from under the 2010-2011 LT threshold. Getting back Jeffries would negate that.

In fact, getting back an Expiring Contract and Jared Jeffries is crappy value for Butler and Haywood ( both of which probably has greater trade value combined to the Wizards ).

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I think that the Expiring Contract of TMac is worth a little bit more then the Expiring Contract of Harrington. On the surface, an Expiring Contract is an Expiring Contract....but I'm guessing there is some reason for DW wanting TMac over Al Harrington on this roster.
    I'm talking about our own expiring contracts for next season.

DW wants TMac because a healthy TMac is far better than Al.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I'm talking about our own expiring contracts for next season.

DW wants TMac because a healthy TMac is far better than Al.
    Sorry, maybe I should have been more clear....some expiring Contracts are worth more then others....whether it be ours that we have next season....or others. In other words....as one can tell with TMac compared to Harrington....one Expiring contract won't net you the same value as another one.