Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: not only Cleveland is interested in Murphy, Milwaukee and Sacramento are too/Mike Wells

Default Re: not only Cleveland is interested in Murphy, Milwaukee and Sacramento are too/Mike Wells

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Some people on these boards focus way too much on expiring contracts, and don't even bother to look at the actual players. Warrick or Ilyasova would be a good pickup for Indiana at the PF.

Both those players would be great additions to the Pacers as would Ridnour. I just can't fathom Milwaukee interested in Murphy. How does he fit in with Skiles wanting "D" played?

Default Re: not only Cleveland is interested in Murphy, Milwaukee and Sacramento are too/Mike Wells

I'd say getting some young talent for Murphy is imperative at this point. Next year Dun and TJ and Jeff 's expiring's alone are not going to land you an allstar via trade a, you gonna have to give up some young talent as well. So if you get a Hickson or Casspi, or Brockman, then you gonna be in better position to pull trades next year for some real talent to go along with Granger.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    sacramento is half a game below us in the standings right now. milwaukee is higher but not entirely safe from the lottery. neither team is giving up their first rounder for murphy, unless it's highly protected.

warrick would be all right, in a band-aid earl watson sort of way. we sure could use a bit more athleticism.

i've suggested ilyasova myself, but do the pacers really want a player whose upside is murphy? but then, i guess i wouldn't mind a poor man's murphy who's paid a fraction of what the really murphy is getting. as long as obie doesn't play him 30+ min a game.

that would be a great idea, if we could find d-league big men who are better than mcbob or solo. and then we'd have to see whether obie would play them.

no good pg prospects next year other than wall, unfortunately. watson will be gone regardless - we can't afford him next year. unless he strikes out in free agency and is willing to play for the minimum.
    We must be seeing two different Warrick. Warrick would be an athletic upgrade over Solo and McRoberts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44604oiH5bw

The season is still young, I'm pretty sure that there are other PG prospects outside of John Wall. Good catch on the Ilyasova 3PT shooting. I didn't know that he was shooting that high of a percentage. With that in mind, I would eliminate him from consideration. Heaven forbid if we give JOB another stretch-4.
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 02-10-2010 at 11:29 AM.

Some of you want to get rid of Murphy sssooooooooooo bad, that you're willing to cut off your nose despite your face.
    Amen to the above!

Bird has said he isn't trading unless it's for someone that the Pacers can go forward with. (Paraphrased)

Some of you guy would be such rotten gm's that not only would your owner want to fire you they would want to convene a firing squad!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Both those players would be great additions to the Pacers as would Ridnour. I just can't fathom Milwaukee interested in Murphy. How does he fit in with Skiles wanting "D" played?
    That's a good question. The Bucks would have been the last team that I thought would want Murphy. Especially considering they already have someone who's a younger version of Murphy. Possibly a 3-team trade?

We would be thin at the PF spot if we traded away Murphy for peanuts. Hansbrough is still questionable and Foster is out for the season. Some of you want to get rid of Murphy sssooooooooooo bad, that you're willing to cut off your nose despite your face. If we get back a solid, young PF (Solo and McRoberts are alright), then we can draft a PG (and get rid of Watson).
    Look, it's not that I'm anti-acquiring a young PF. By all means, if you can get one, go ahead. My issue is this: I get the impression they'd say no to what might be considered a "good" deal for Murphy just because there's no PF coming back. That would be stupid IMO. That would be the Pacers cutting of THEIR nose to spite THEIR face IMO.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

And hey, Pacers, here's a super-secret tactic to getting a young, talented power forward: Stopping worrying so much about trying to make the playoffs and/or winning more than 30 games, and "magically" you'll have a top pick in a draft FILLED WITH YOUNG TALENTED POWER FORWARDS.

And hey, maybe, just maybe, you can get something ELSE that's valuable (a young player who is not a PF, or a 1st round pick) by trading Murphy right now.

Just a thought.

*edit* If that line of thinking would end up with me in front of a firing squad, then the Pacers are dumber than I thought.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Triple posting to rant and use capital letters? I feel like I'm becoming Seth.

To make this even more geeky (by a thousand), I'm having flashes of Luke Skywalker just after he beat Vader in ROTJ, looks at his own robotic hand, and realizes the path he's on before it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Look, it's not that I'm anti-acquiring a young PF. By all means, if you can get one, go ahead. My issue is this: I get the impression they'd say no to what might be considered a "good" deal for Murphy just because there's no PF coming back. That would be stupid IMO. That would be the Pacers cutting of THEIR nose to spite THEIR face IMO.
    The best long-term deal is acquiring a player back in return, because that would be one less player to worry about. Giving away a player for free for salary relief when it's tough to acquire top-notch F/A for our small market is being stupid. I would be just as quick to keep Murphy my d*mn self, if I couldn't get back a PF (or even a good backup PG).

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Bird has said he isn't trading unless it's for someone that the Pacers can go forward with. (Paraphrased)
    And how'd that work out for us with Tinsley? Ford?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I'm glad that we are finally getting some insight into the "many calls" that the Pacers FO has gotten regarding Murphy, but before anyone gets excited......I would really like some clarification on any recent interest in Murphy and whether it is legit on the same level as the Cavs interest in him.

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...goes_from.html

Quote:
    My man Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer is reporting that the Cavaliers and Pacers have made "some progress" in talks about forward Troy Murphy.

Cleveland isn't the only team that has shown some interest in Murphy. Sacramento and Milwaukee are two of "several" teams that have called about Murphy.
    To me, Wells post is somewhat ambiguous in terms of detail. Did Sacto and Milwaukee just make cursory calls to guage interest? Were these calls made recently and there is still some lingering interest there?

For example, it wouldn't have surprised me if Sacto did call a month ago since they were in search of a Big Man. They checked to see if they can pry Murphy away for ( probably ) some package surrounding Kenny Thomas ( as an Expiring contract )...found out it was too expensive and decided to go with the New Orleans route of acquiring Hilton Armstrong.

I know that Wells probably wouldn't be able to provide much details.....but this just tells me that other Teams either ARE interested in Murphy or WERE interested in Murphy ....but for all we know, this could have happened some time ago. What's worst is that Sacto and Milwaukee hung up ( and hasn't called back ) when Murphy asked for WAY TOO MUCH in return.

I'm really hoping that there is still some "seeds of interest" in Murphy that Bird and Co. can cultivate into a trade during All Star Weekend......but I'm too pessimistic about this season to hope that something realistic could happen.
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-10-2010 at 11:54 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Dear God, please let us get Kevin Martin... pleeeaaasseee!!!1
    I'd even throw Hibbert in there with Murph for him.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    < 20 min. & a screw-job by Houston for Tinsley,
    Ford is TBD
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Some of you guy would be such rotten gm's that not only would your owner want to fire you they would want to convene a firing squad!
    They may need to use that firing squad to ward off the rioting fans charging with pitchforks.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    We need an "No-Thanks" button.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

A good deal would be in the eyes of the beholder. Beyond that sometimes you pass on good deals because it's not good enough.

For example, we have 4 point guards so we wouldn't want to do just a good deal for a point ithout getting rid of one. It also has to make sense and go along with what we are doing. It would have to be a no brainer for us to deal for a point.

I can see why they would want a pf for Murphy, but I'm sure they would do a deal if it was the 'right' good deal.

Banned
    Mood

I can understand Milwaukee's interest. They're currently a game out of the playoffs and you would have to think Troy would not only push them over the top, but could move them up a few spots (they're two games out of the 6th spot, 4.5 out of 5th). On the other hand, I really don't get why Sacramento would be interested. They have a good, young front court and their playoff hopes died a long time ago.

So who all is rumored to be interested in Murphy now? Cleveland, Milwaukee, Sacramento... San Antonio? Denver? Either way, if any of these rumors are based in reality then it becomes clear Murphy is a far more attractive player than a lot of people here want to believe. No he's not an all-star, but he's not only very productive, he also brings a unique element to the table with his size and shooting.

I think we'll end up getting a nice deal for him, much better than some realize.

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    So we can REALLY become a perimeter oriented team? Sorry, no thanks. I like Kevin Martin, but not enough to give up Hibbert.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

The best long-term deal is acquiring a player back in return, because that would be one less player to worry about. Giving away a player for free for salary relief when it's tough to acquire top-notch F/A for our small market is being stupid.
    Well it's a good thing that's not my argument, then, isn't it? You understand that's not what I'm advocating, right?

I would be just as quick to keep Murphy my d*mn self, if I couldn't get back a PF (or even a good backup PG).
    I'm not hot to do a pure-salary dump deal, but I wouldn't be hung up on whether or not it's a PF I get back. That would be nice, sure, but not the only thing I would consider taking back (PG, SG, C, pick, whichever).

Also, while most of us prefer not to do a pure salary dump, keep in mind if we don't trade one of these contracts (Murphy, Ford, Foster, Dunleavy), we will likely be over the luxury tax, and that means not only paying the tax, but losing out on the income you get if you're below the tax.

I highly think the Pacers will try hard to get out from under that tax. It might take a Murphy dump to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    We need an "No-Thanks" button.
    We need a "Homer" button

And hey, Pacers, here's a super-secret tactic to getting a young, talented power forward: Stopping worrying so much about trying to make the playoffs and/or winning more than 30 games, and "magically" you'll have a top pick in a draft FILLED WITH YOUNG TALENTED POWER FORWARDS.

And hey, maybe, just maybe, you can get something ELSE that's valuable (a young player who is not a PF, or a 1st round pick) by trading Murphy right now.

Just a thought.

*edit* If that line of thinking would end up with me in front of a firing squad, then the Pacers are dumber than I thought.
    Actually you're one of the guys I think could cut it as a gm.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

So we can REALLY become a perimeter oriented team? Sorry, no thanks. I like Kevin Martin, but not enough to give up Hibbert.
    Who cares if we are perimeter team the rest of the year.

This is about landing an all star calibre player alongside Danny for the future. We will find some bigs in the offseason.

Roy has a nice hook shot and can block some shots, but let's be realistic here. He is not Dwight Howard or the 2nd coming of Kareem. He is not in the same teir as Kevin Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Bird said that sometime within the past two months. I looked at for the quote but couldn't find it.

Sports Logo

Can someone with a Twitter account Tweet Wells and have him clarify whether the interest in Murphy is recent and whether there is still some lingering interest in him from Sacto and Milwaukee?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Roy and Danny are our two generally untouchables.

For reasons of talent and also popularity with the fan base.

They could trade AJ but would just barely get away with it.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown