View Poll Results: Jim O'Brien will stay with the Pacers

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • until being fired during this season.

    0 0%
  • until being fired after this season (this summer)

    39 61.90%
  • until his extended contract ends in June 2011.

    14 22.22%
  • sometime during the 2010-2011 season

    10 15.87%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 47 of 47

Thread: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

  1. #26
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,151

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

    Quote Originally Posted by ryheathco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jim O'Brien has held this team hostage for far too long. I am sure Jim is a good man, but he is not a good NBA coach.
    Post of the year IMHO.

  2. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

    just like Charles Barkley said, "I think JOB has a picture of Larry Bird doing it with a monkey" that is the only reason why I see Larry staying with this guy.

  3. #28
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,079

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    just like Charles Barkley said, "I think JOB has a picture of Larry Bird doing it with a monkey" that is the only reason why I see Larry staying with this guy.
    Barkley said that?
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  5. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Barkley said that?
    no, he said that about a college coach, I just used that to write about JOB, sorry

  6. #30
    Since 1984 1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,811

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I never thought I'd think this, let alone say it.

    Zeke is a better coach...unless JOb is trying to lose on purpose.
    I feel dirty... but you are right.

  7. #31
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,151

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

    Quote Originally Posted by ryheathco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I feel dirty... but you are right.
    Yes, I'm a little ashamed to say it...but it's the truth. The thing with Zeke...he didn't contradict himself all the time. His words were usually backed up by his actions. Maybe they were poor decisions, but you could at least follow the flawed logic. I simply do not understand JOb's decisions.

    In contrast, Rick Carlisle always made sense to me. He almost always did what I thought he should be doing....and even when I disagreed with his over-use of JO in the post....I at least knew where he was coming from.

    The only thing I'm confident about with JOb is that he will play Troy Murphy...regardless of any evidence that should put him on the bench...or at least temporarily. Not even a test!

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  9. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,436

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I never thought I'd think this, let alone say it.

    Zeke is a better coach...unless JOb is trying to lose on purpose.
    Should be noted JOB beat Zeke in a playoff series where Zeke had the better team. (Yes, JOB actually had a team that got to the playoffs and actually won a playoff series)

  10. #33
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,935

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While we know Jim has an extension for next season, I wonder how much of it is guaranteed money.....
    Yes, this was brought to my attention also this week. It's not like the details were ever spelled out to how much he would receive if O'Brien was broken off at the end of the season. We just all assumed that he would be paid for the whole year, guaranteed.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  11. #34
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,935

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

    Unfortunately... Another way to look at this is: We were in every game last year with close to the same players, but this year we had to deal with an injury to a key components like Jeff Foster and had to deal with a sub standard rotation at point guard. Maybe Jim deserves a chance with those parts.

    Dear God please don't let it be the above scenario!!!!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  12. #35
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,412

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

    Maybe JOB will opt to step down like he did in Philly over Philosophical reasons. I could see this happening if Bird ends up pulling strings from the top during the last month of the season.

  13. #36
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,756

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

    Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Should be noted JOB beat Zeke in a playoff series where Zeke had the better team. (Yes, JOB actually had a team that got to the playoffs and actually won a playoff series)
    Yes, and I wish we had the old threads where probably 80% of the fans posted that JOB outcoached Isiah.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  15. #37
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,043

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I never thought I'd think this, let alone say it.

    Zeke is a better coach...unless JOb is trying to lose on purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryheathco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jim O'Brien has held this team hostage for far too long. I am sure Jim is a good man, but he is not a good NBA coach.
    Nonsense! Jim had a .517 coaching record when he came to the Pacers!

    As for Isiah, 187-223 with better players.

  16. #38
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,324

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, and I wish we had the old threads where probably 80% of the fans posted that JOB outcoached Isiah.
    What a ringing endorsement that would be.

    JOB will be gone within a week after the end of the season.

  17. #39
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,324

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nonsense! Jim had a .517 coaching record when he came to the Pacers!

    As for Isiah, 187-223 with better players.
    Actually Isiah would be the perfect coach for this team. Considering what he was able (or unable) to do with significantly more talent, he would probably have us running neck and neck with New Jersey for the John Wall sweepstakes.

    Of course, if he were in charge he wouldve already traded our pick away for Jerome James.

  18. #40
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, and I wish we had the old threads where probably 80% of the fans posted that JOB outcoached Isiah.
    Dear God.

    Isiah Thomas ran out of timeouts (had to burn one right before the mandatory 10:00 minute television timeout when Ron was having an on-court meltdown) and then subbed Foster for Reggie for rebounding purposes on the final Boston FTs and then realized that he couldn't call timeout or stop the clock to put Reggie back into the game so we had to execute the final play without him.



    This box of binder clips on my desk could have outcoached Isiah in that series. Utterly embarassing.

    That's not exactly saying much.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  19. #41
    YOUR MY BOY BLUE & GOLD Groove1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kokomo Indiana
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

    I disagree Freddie. Sure he does all that, but thats also like saying "I never want to make the playoffs...EVER". Never thought he could get the team fired up before the first whistle, and thats the coach's job. We come out flat, second guess too much, and for the level of talent we have, we should be winning more period.

  20. #42
    Brains of the Operation.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    On the Westside
    Posts
    151

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

    I would say Jimmy will start next season for one reason. They will still be paying him, however, I personally believe our next coach is already under contract. IMO, Jimmy will be fired prior the the all-star break next season and Lester Conner will be assigned as interim coach. He is already under contract and that wouldn't require additional salary. If Lester does an admirable job, I believe he will be signed as permanent head coach moving forward. I for one things LC would do a nice job as coach.

    Anyone agree, disagree, otherwise?

  21. #43
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,607

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

    I know that this is simplistic and probably will sound like a smart @ss answer even though it is not my intention of being one.

    Jim O'Brien will be the coach until he is not.

    I have no idea what to expect otherwise.

    On the one hand.

    The coaching right now is so cartoon villianish bad that I have to believe that Bird is in on it. If Bird is in on it then my thought is he thinks Jim is not to blame and that the combination of injury and poor player chemistry is the problem.

    On the other hand.

    I have no idea.

    If this were Donnie Walsh it would have been easier to predict what would happen however we only have what is going on at current to see what Bird would do.

    But really I tend to think at this point the first hand is the issue. I mean the coaching right now is that bad, the player management aspect of the coaching alone is as bad as I've ever seen and that is saying something considering I've seen both Versace & Irvine (twice).


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  22. #44
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,699

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

    simple answer: way way way to long
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  23. #45
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,935

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

    Judging from the Larry Bird asking for patience thread.... Looks like the hits are just going to keep on coming.


    Wrong way, Larry!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  24. #46
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,607

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know that this is simplistic and probably will sound like a smart @ss answer even though it is not my intention of being one.

    Jim O'Brien will be the coach until he is not.

    I have no idea what to expect otherwise.

    On the one hand.

    The coaching right now is so cartoon villianish bad that I have to believe that Bird is in on it. If Bird is in on it then my thought is he thinks Jim is not to blame and that the combination of injury and poor player chemistry is the problem.
    On the other hand.

    I have no idea.

    If this were Donnie Walsh it would have been easier to predict what would happen however we only have what is going on at current to see what Bird would do.

    But really I tend to think at this point the first hand is the issue. I mean the coaching right now is that bad, the player management aspect of the coaching alone is as bad as I've ever seen and that is saying something considering I've seen both Versace & Irvine (twice).
    Wow I typed that at lunch break before I even knew the Bird interview existed. I had a feeling that this was the case, I was just really hoping I was wrong.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  25. #47
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Times are tight. I said he gets fired next year. He will definitely not be fired this year or over the summer purely because they'd need to pay another coach.

    I would not be surprised if he "coaches" until the end of his contract, but I still think he gets fired next year during the season...at an opportune time.
    I agree. They'll try to bring in the new coach at the midway point next season to give him half a season to get the team acclimated to his style. Then the following season there will be no excuses to say "the team's getting used to the new coach".
    Grown Man Ball

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. O'Brien Not Phased by NBA Firing Spree
    By duke dynamite in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-17-2008, 12:09 PM
  2. Diener out indefinately
    By dlewyus in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 11:42 AM
  3. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 02-05-2008, 07:25 PM
  4. Jim O'Brien interview from WTHR.com
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2007, 08:37 AM
  5. Weekend Recap 02-01: News from Around the NBA
    By kerosene in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 04:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •