View Poll Results: Jim O'Brien will stay with the Pacers

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • until being fired during this season.

0 0%
  • until being fired after this season (this summer)

39 61.90%
  • until his extended contract ends in June 2011.

14 22.22%
  • sometime during the 2010-2011 season

10 15.87%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

Choose one of three options.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Default Re: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

He'll finish the season...

I hope he gets fired at the All Star break. And we get a coach who'll develope the young guys.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm thinking he's done this summer.

He'll start next year and then it will depend how the team plays. Over .500 and he stays, under and he gets replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He'll start next year and then it will depend how the team plays. Over .500 and he stays, under and he gets replaced.
    So I guess Congress has definitely legalized torture?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post

That's how I figure it. BUT how long under .500 b4 being fired is the $64,000 question.

He'll be here until his contract expires, Bird's too stubborn.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

While we know Jim has an extension for next season, I wonder how much of it is guaranteed money.....

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Hicks, if you want, go ahead and add another option: "sometime during the 2010-2011 season."

Times are tight. I said he gets fired next year. He will definitely not be fired this year or over the summer purely because they'd need to pay another coach.

I would not be surprised if he "coaches" until the end of his contract, but I still think he gets fired next year during the season...at an opportune time.

realistically or in my dreams?

Silly McKeyFan... You ask this question and don't actually give the one true answer in the options:

Question: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?
    Answer: Too Long
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I'm starting to think Jim will be there as long as Larry is.

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    I'm starting to think Jim will be there as long as Larry is.
    Didn't Vecsey say Bird was gone after this season?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post

Didn't Vecsey say Bird was gone after this season?

If only one time in Vecsey's life he was correct, let it be this time!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

He'll be here through the end of next season. Here's why:

1. His offense - putting up lots of quick perimeter shots is terrific basketball and is much-appreciated by the knowledgable fans who grew up on basketball in Indiana. It's excitingly inconsistent, for one thing, and has a cozy softness about it that pleases those who feel that action under the basket is sometimes too rough. It is also considerate to the opponent in not making them run around on defense and have to work hard for more than a few seconds each possession, allowing them to save their strength and be at their best late in the game.

2. His defense - it gets better every year with greater emphasis on it, as O'Brien and Bird have explained, yet it still allows plenty of 60 and 70 point halves so that you know you can look forward to the same level of continuing improvement the following season. What's scary to me and should be to the league is the thought of what might happen if O'Brien started actually making decisions on playing time based on who plays good defense. If he unleashes this weapon - and I don't think he will because he's a more considerate person than that - opponents will not look forward to playing the Pacers.

3. His personnel decisions and player development. Murphy over Hibbert. Watson and Ford over Price. Anybody and everybody over Josh McRoberts. This is about consistency and fairness. Jim never stops developing players, even into their late 20s and early 30s. He doesn't get caught up in tangents and trivialities like who plays defense, who scores inside, who passes the ball inside or even who gets the ball inside and passes it out to open 3-point shooters. He continues instead to develop his veterans and anybody with the stones to keep firing up one jumper after another, despite that low shooting percentage and that defender right in his face.

22. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Freddie fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lawrence Frank hired by the Pacers this summer? Please?

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie fan View Post

1. His offense - putting up lots of quick perimeter shots is terrific basketball and is much-appreciated by the knowledgable fans who grew up on basketball in Indiana. It's excitingly inconsistent, for one thing, and has a cozy softness about it that pleases those who feel that action under the basket is sometimes too rough. It is also considerate to the opponent in not making them run around on defense and have to work hard for more than a few seconds each possession, allowing them to save their strength and be at their best late in the game.

2. His defense - it gets better every year with greater emphasis on it, as O'Brien and Bird have explained, yet it still allows plenty of 60 and 70 point halves so that you know you can look forward to the same level of continuing improvement the following season. What's scary to me and should be to the league is the thought of what might happen if O'Brien started actually making decisions on playing time based on who plays good defense. If he unleashes this weapon - and I don't think he will because he's a more considerate person than that - opponents will not look forward to playing the Pacers.

3. His personnel decisions and player development. Murphy over Hibbert. Watson and Ford over Price. Anybody and everybody over Josh McRoberts. This is about consistency and fairness. Jim never stops developing players, even into their late 20s and early 30s. He doesn't get caught up in tangents and trivialities like who plays defense, who scores inside, who passes the ball inside or even who gets the ball inside and passes it out to open 3-point shooters. He continues instead to develop his veterans and anybody with the stones to keep firing up one jumper after another, despite that low shooting percentage and that defender right in his face.
    Dude, your hilarious.

He's getting Isiah Thomas bad.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Unfortunately, he'll probably be here till the end of the season. He can't get out of town fast enough to suit me.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Jim should be gone in -1.5 years.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie fan View Post

*snipped*
    Thanking you was not enough. I need to tell you that was wicked good fun, well done.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

29. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

i'd guess sometime before all star break next season when they are about a dozen (maybe 2 dozen) or so under .500
    they will have gotten enough out of the contract by then that firing him won't be as big a money loss as firing him during the summer.
    i also suspect that there will be those who actually still go to the games chanting fire o'brien quite loudly. it will be interesting to hear what the broacasters say when the crowd gets loud enough that they can't ignore it.

I never thought I'd think this, let alone say it.

Zeke is a better coach...unless JOb is trying to lose on purpose.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jim O'Brien has held this team hostage for far too long. I am sure Jim is a good man, but he is not a good NBA coach.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post: