Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avery Johnson said that he is ready

Banned

Default Avery Johnson said that he is ready

I was watching the Avery Jhonson interview on PTI and they asking about how bad he wanted to come back to coaching and he responded by saying that he was ready, that coaching is his passion and is waiting for that phone call, should the pacers fire JOB and give AJ a call. What do you guys think? could he be a good coach for the pacers?

Default Re: Avery Jhonson said that he is ready

That would be a serious upgrade.

I'd probably do it as an offseason move, though. At this point you might as well ride it out. If you fire Obie I'd just give Lester the job.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That would be a serious upgrade.

I'd probably do it as an offseason move, though. At this point you might as well ride it out. If you fire Obie I'd just give Lester the job.
    I agree, I think that Larry is sending a message to the future coach that not matter what he is going to support him, he is supporting JOB an we suck, just imagine a coach who can do more with this team. This summer is going to be excited because there would be a lot of things going on with the pacers, I hope I new coach and some trades also.

He would be perfect for AJ Price. I also know Dunleavy and Murphy love him when they played with him in Golden State
    JOB is a silly man

O'Brien needs to go. Now. Avery would be a great coach for us. I would really like to see Mark Jackson or Antonio Davis. That would be awesome. Maybe we get the old team together to be the coaching staff. Rik already lives in Indy. Pay him to mentor Roy. I just don't know about Reggie. I think he has given up on us.

So do we do it this year or wait til next? I just think the coaches attitude is a detriment to the team anymore.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Been preachin Avery's name to the choir for at least the past year. Many don't seem to think he'd be a good coach... I think he'd be a great coach for us. I'd say why not?
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I can go with Avery.

Dallas had no low post threat when they lost to Golden State.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

JOB is going nowhere. Bird extended his contract late Sept 2009 making us obligated to pay him through the 2010-2011 season. Most people saw the contract extension very premature and thought it could have waited. If Bird fires JOB now, it'll look bad on his decision making
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    If Bird fires JOB now, it'll look bad on his decision making
    And keeping him looks good on his decision making???

I don't know enough about Avery. I'm so sick of O'Brien I'd about take anyone though just to see him gone.... and I'm sure Avery is better than several other 'anyone's' that could be picked.

Can he be at Conseco in 30 minutes?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo

JOB is going nowhere. Bird extended his contract late Sept 2009 making us obligated to pay him through the 2010-2011 season. Most people saw the contract extension very premature and thought it could have waited. If Bird fires JOB now, it'll look bad on his decision making
    JOB will be let go within a week after the season ends. Book it. I dont think theres anyone, including JOB, that doesnt believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    JOB will be let go within a week after the season ends. Book it. I dont think theres anyone, including JOB, that doesnt believe that.
    I hope youre right. I hate seeing JOB as our coach. There is some good coaching candidates out there. I would be more than happy with Avery, Byron Scott or Frank as our coach
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    I would really like to see Mark Jackson or Antonio Davis. That would be awesome.
    I still have no idea what the infatuation is over guys who haven't spent a single day in their life as an assistant coach at any level of basketball.

I mean, I'd like to see those two guys, too......as assistant coaches for a few seasons first.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    I still have no idea what the infatuation is over guys who haven't spent a single day in their life as an assistant coach at any level of basketball.

I mean, I'd like to see those two guys, too......as assistant coaches for a few seasons first.
    Thats EXACTLY what Ive been thinking. None of those guys have any experience at this level

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pass on the control freak with an annoying voice.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Thats EXACTLY what Ive been thinking. None of those guys have any experience at this level
    It just blows my mind when people mention that kind of stuff. The league is chalk full of hardworking assistants who have paid their dues, spent countless hours working with players, breaking down film, helping to run practices, going over scouting reports. Those guys deserve a chance.

Oh, but Mark Jackson sounds so articulate on TV and Antonio Davis is just a great guy. Give me a break. It's that exact same logic that the Detroit Lions used to hire Matt Millen as a GM (he had zero previous experience as a coach, scout, executive or player development guy). Those guys have proven nothing in the coaching ranks. It's an insult to the guys who have actually put in the work and gained the experience.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Please tell me that this isn't true?!!! Next season, too?!!!

I will burn the remaining season tickets I own and refuse to purchase them next year unless JOB is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Pass on the control freak with an annoying voice.
    Re: Avery

Avery is a good motivational guy, but he'll wear on players. He'll call guys out in post game press conference. I'm sure fans would initially like the fact that he holds guys accountable and all that, but it eventually wears on players.

Oh, and his offensive strategy in Dallas consisted almost entirely of isolation ball. I understand that the people on this board are big fans of that.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

I like it if it's Roy.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I can go with Avery.

Dallas had no low post threat when they lost to Golden State.
    They also had the better team with the league MVP.

I'd rather have a low post threat.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I'd rather have a low post threat.
    I'd rather have the #1 seed and best roster. Also note that in his last 8 playoff road games, Avery has an 0-8 record.

Probably similar to Peyton Manning's playoff record.

He'd be good at first, but the players will get sick of him before long. No thanks.

Lawrence Frank, please.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kellogg View Post
    Please tell me that this isn't true?!!! Next season, too?!!!

I will burn the remaining season tickets I own and refuse to purchase them next year unless JOB is gone.
    Yes its true http://www.indycornrows.com/2009/9/2...earns-contract

His contract has been extended, but will he remain our coach is the question

I just did a poll to see how many think he'll actually survive his entire contract.