Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 51

Thread: Pacers still mystified by Rush's inconsistency/Mike Wells

  1. #26
    How u imawhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    B-town
    Posts
    5,159

    Default Re: A thread about a hypothetical article about Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That is a big part of it though, Brandon does fit Jim's system. In fact, most of the team does not. In fact most of the NBA does not. It seems only hall of famers (and guys who stretch the defense) fit this system. If only we had Kobe, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan we might make the playoffs.
    Magic 1) doesn't shoot the three good enough and 2) dominates the ball too much for Jim's liking. He'd need to learn how to initiate the offense by setting up Kevin in the high post and cutting.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:


  3. #27

    Default Re: A thread about a hypothetical article about Rush

    He is my favorite on the team as well, it's like we are watching a completely different season than the coaching staff.

    They better not trade him as some filler just to get rid of TJ. I think that would be the last straw for me. Actually I'm out of straws, but that would really suck.

  4. #28
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: A thread about a hypothetical article about Rush

    My apologies for my blunt handling of the previous thread. It was done out of haste and frustration over repeated issues with absent inks, but I should have just edited the first post and left the thread alone.

    I'm going to re open it and merge these two together.

  5. #29
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: A thread about a hypothetical article about Rush

    I would ask, however, that you PM me with these kinds of comments instead of putting them on the public stage.

  6. #30

    Default Re: A thread about a hypothetical article about Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Magic 1) doesn't shoot the three good enough and 2) dominates the ball too much for Jim's liking. He'd need to learn how to initiate the offense by setting up Kevin in the high post and cutting.
    I can totally see Jim benching Magic and going with the 30 year old vet with a 1 year contract.

  7. #31
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers still mystified by Rush's inconsistency/Mike Wells

    No one on this team is being consistent. He's probably been our best consistent scorer than anyone else.

  8. #32
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Pacers still mystified by Rush's inconsistency/Mike Wells

    Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let's just start calling Brandon Rush "Satan 2" or "Son of McKey" or something like that and let him play his game.
    I literally said this since way back before the draft, and all night at the draft party as well, and I think in the PD party before the season.

    He's the SG version of McKey. The only thing is I think most of us now understand the McKey type, whereas the coach seems to be struggling to come to grips with it.

    McKey was a #7 pick BTW, so getting "him" at 13th (plus 1 year of Jack which should have been longer) is a pretty solid choice.


    As I've said in other threads, this team has a lot of key pieces that look much like the 90's version:

    Reggie = Danny
    Rik = Roy
    McKey = Rush

    What they need is Mark Jackson and the Davis boys. I don't think Tyler fits the bill (nor Josh ). Price is maybe an upgrade on Best, but I don't think he's Jax.

    You don't get Jax till you clear salary, but you could draft one of the Davis boys this year. Unfortunately I think a Jax is more critical.

    Oh, and you need a Larry Brown/Rick Carlisle coaching too.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  10. #33
    Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Broadripple
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,199

    Default Re: Pacers still mystified by Rush's inconsistency/Mike Wells

    This article is ridiculous, Brandon has been playing some of his best ball recently.

    I can't wait to get a real coach in here. Its stuff like this that makes me question the Mcroberts situation, another passive offensive player who brings defense and intangibles. Gee no wonder he doesn't get time. Brandon Rush plays a smart game, but obviously by his comments JOB would prefer he jack more shots. This coach is a detriment to this team.

    For the love of God can we please have a new coach next season???
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 02-09-2010 at 01:19 PM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

    - ilive4sports

  11. #34
    We need John Wall. Thesterovic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    962

    Default Re: Pacers still mystified by Rush's inconsistency/Mike Wells

    I'm afraid we'd have new players before we'd have a new coach. I'm starting to believe he's here for the long run.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

    Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

  12. #35
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,880

    Default Re: Pacers still mystified by Rush's inconsistency/Mike Wells

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For the love of God can we please have a new coach next game???
    Fixed.

    I agree with the rest of you... Brandon isn't jacking up shots left and right. That's what matters to O'Brien.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  13. #36
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,340

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers still mystified by Rush's inconsistency/Mike Wells

    Ya, I firmly subscribe to the theory that you work with what you got and use the system that best utilizes the strengths of your "parts"... not try to force-fit the parts you have into your preferred "system", whether they are a good fit or not. Which is what seems to be happening here in Indy. Even if the coaching staff is actually trying to do that, it's hard to tell... and it isn't working, so they need to go down a different avenue.

    I also wish we'd see more continuity in our line-up... not changing the line-up every game. Take the five players that work the best together in whatever system they are most comfortable in, and then leave it alone and let that line-up build up time and experience together. Chemistry... it's how you win consistently.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 02-09-2010 at 01:59 PM.

  14. #37
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,205

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers still mystified by Rush's inconsistency/Mike Wells

    Quote Originally Posted by Thesterovic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm afraid we'd have new players before we'd have a new coach. I'm starting to believe he's here for the long run.
    I've thought the same thing for 2 years now. I think Bird is too stubborn to fire him.

  15. #38
    On the Vogel Wagon gummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,909
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers still mystified by Rush's inconsistency/Mike Wells

    This article is mostly recycled from a week or so ago. I wonder why? Do they have nothing else to write about?
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

    "Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

    Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

  16. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Pacers still mystified by Rush's inconsistency/Mike Wells

    Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This article is mostly recycled from a week or so ago. I wonder why? Do they have nothing else to write about?
    I think Mike Wells asked JOB what was wrong with the team and he came with the same excuse.

  17. #40
    On the Vogel Wagon gummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,909
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers still mystified by Rush's inconsistency/Mike Wells

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Mike Wells asked JOB what was wrong with the team and he came with the same excuse.
    If Brandon shooting over 50% from 3 over the last 13 or 14 games isn't enough to make JOB like him it's never going to happen. Maybe the problem is Jim thinks Rush should obviously be shooting more 3's since he hits so many.

    I do wonder if this repeated focus on Brandon's "inconsistency" in the press is to set us up for a trade. Here's a guy who can defend at an elite level, can rebound very well for a SG, can give you some assists and steals and a block every other game. He's finding his NBA three point range after being a good long range shooter in college, he's got good court awareness. He's a second year player who is a somewhat inconsistent scorer and needs to work on his dribble drive, who has spent his whole NBA career working in an offensive system that many people think is less than desirable with a coach that specializes in mixed messages/actions. Total bust. Let's trade him!

    I'm tired of the Rush *****ing, especially when he's in the midst of his best scoring stretch of the season. Give it a rest, coach.
    Last edited by gummy; 02-09-2010 at 03:14 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

    "Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

    Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

  18. #41
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A thread about a hypothetical article about Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ding ding ding.............EXACTLY a good coach should be able to adjust just like he wants his players to adjust , not be stubborn and bull headed.
    There are two types of coaches. Now I'm not saying Jim is in the other type of coach, but there are two types.

    (a) Those that can adopt to the skills and abilities of their roster and

    (b) Those than have the power to get a GM to build a roster around thier mindset.

    As you all know, I'm not a big Rick Carlisle fan. But during his first season with the Pacers, he did an excellent job of #1.

    But Larry Brown didn't take Bo Hill's roster and get a better record out of them. He forced Donnie into a number of roster changes to fit his style.

    Unfortunately for Pacers fans, Jim hasn't shown "a" and hasn't been given "b".

    And that's a recipe for disaster.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  19. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,436

    Default Re: Pacers still mystified by Rush's inconsistency/Mike Wells

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sobchak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree here. Brandon is arguably the best athlete on the team. He has the capabilities to get to the bucket and throw it down but he just hasn't for some reason.
    FWIW, he was criticized for the same thing while going up against college players.

  20. #43
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,029

    Default Re: A thread about a hypothetical article about Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was done out of haste and frustration over repeated issues with absent inks
    Your inks are pretty challenged, too.

    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  21. #44
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,029

    Default Re: Pacers still mystified by Rush's inconsistency/Mike Wells

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've thought the same thing for 2 years now. I think Bird is too stubborn to fire him.
    Worthy of a poll: who is more stubborn, JOB or Bird?

    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  22. #45
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Pacers still mystified by Rush's inconsistency/Mike Wells

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Mike Wells asked JOB what was wrong with the team and he came with the same excuse.
    I wondered the exact same thing.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  23. #46
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,029

    Default Re: Pacers still mystified by Rush's inconsistency/Mike Wells

    Here's a theory regarding Rush's performance the past two years:

    1. Rush gets new team and new coach. Strange, this coach doesn't emphasize defense and possessions like the former coach (NCAA champion coach).

    2. After half a season, Rush starts to figure out the new coach's style. He begins to perform very well the second half of the season.

    3. The new coach tells Larry Bird that he needs defenders in order to have a defensive emphasis, after being constantly criticized for a sieve of a defense all year long.

    4. New players arrive for the second season. In the first ten games (okay, injuries forced this, we all know) the team wins a bunch of games in a row with a defensive emphasis and a style more like the winning style at Kansas. Rush re-adapts to this system, which he is a natural for.

    5. No, actually the Pacers won't play that style. But it takes Rush another two or three months to cipher through JOB's mixed messages.

    6. Rush starts playing good ball again with good shooting percentages.

    7. JOB spouts nonsense and adds more messages to the contradictory mix.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  24. #47
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,685

    Default Re: Pacers still mystified by Rush's inconsistency/Mike Wells

    I don't think there is any mystery to Rush's performance - you guys are making way too complicated. Rush has a timid personality and that carries over to the court. That is his problem.

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  26. #48
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: A thread about a hypothetical article about Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your inks are pretty challenged, too.

    My iPhone has failed me.

  27. #49
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,275

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers still mystified by Rush's inconsistency/Mike Wells

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As I've said in other threads, this team has a lot of key pieces that look much like the 90's version:

    Reggie = Danny
    Rik = Roy
    McKey = Rush

    What they need is Mark Jackson and the Davis boys. I don't think Tyler fits the bill (nor Josh ). Price is maybe an upgrade on Best, but I don't think he's Jax.

    You don't get Jax till you clear salary, but you could draft one of the Davis boys this year. Unfortunately I think a Jax is more critical.

    Oh, and you need a Larry Brown/Rick Carlisle coaching too.
    As long as Bird is guiding this rudderless ship....I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is not a coincidence but by design. By the start of the 2011-2012 season.....we will have 2 draft picks and enough $$$ to spend on one or more FA that will get us there.

    I'm half joking here.....but I really find the coincidence interesting.
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-09-2010 at 05:39 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  28. #50
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,877

    Default Re: Pacers still mystified by Rush's inconsistency/Mike Wells

    I'm mystified that the focus is not Rush's 8 straight double figure games prior to his off night.

    I'm mystified there wasn't an article every 10 days about Stephen Jackson's inconsistent shot.

    I'm mystified that some people expect Rush to play like a top 10 pick when he was probably picked too high at 13.

    The fact is, Rush is getting better. He is getting more consistent. Even Reggie Miller had an off night folks...and he didn't play nearly as good D.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 09-02-2013, 05:30 PM
  2. Pacers-Celtics Matchups (IndyStar)
    By ChicagoJ in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 09:36 AM
  3. USA Today Pacers update
    By Speed in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 09-18-2008, 11:52 PM
  4. Star Article, Pacers don't want to gut roster.
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 07-08-2004, 05:18 PM
  5. Pacers History 1993-1994 Season
    By Sollozzo in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 03:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •