Thread: Birds next transaction

Default Birds next transaction

I guess Bird said he might not be done........

I almost regret doing this.

This "might" be a way to move Pollards contract.

Pollard to LA for Rick Fox.

I know, it left a bad taste in my mouth too.

LA needs bigs & Pollard makes 5,792,250

Fox is on a team loaded with small forwards. Fox has considered retirement & this is the final year of his deal at 4,928,625.

It has REAL GMs seal of approval.

If nothing else we could slice about 800K off payroll & not have Pollards 6.2 on the books for next season.

My hope was I could some how figure a way to get Ostertag in this deal. It could be done, on paper, but hardly in the real world.

Gotta go brush my teeth now
    [edit=136=1089966965][/edit]

Default Re: Birds next transaction

Yikes.

But I follow the logic and the numbers.

With us now playing Shaq 4 times a year in the regular season and possibly 7 more in the playoffs I don't see Pollard going anywhere unless we trade him for Dampier. Pollard for a smaller player like Fox? I don't think we would give Pollard up even if a team offered to take him off our hands for a draft pick, thus freeing up his salary. Not unless we could turn the free space into a big center somehow.

As our roster now stands we have Foster, Pollard, and Harrison at center. Which do you want playing Shaq? Now take away Pollard? Yikes!

I know I don't want JO playing Shaq, because I don't want him getting injured. And Shaq does tend to injure people.

Rick Fox.... what's the point? It's not like he'll be bringing Vanessa with him.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

Well I'm not sure this means anything but ISU alum Nate Green was on the radio talking about possibly getting a call from Miami. Nate is a point guard and keeps in contact with Bird. When asked if he would like to play for the Pacers he responded "that would be my dream job, but I've been told I couldn't get a legit shot until they thin the herd".

Sounds like DW, LB, and RC continue to look at thinning the herd. When you hear this kind of stuff it keeps you wondering if they still don't like Tins.
    [edit=346=1089979600][/edit]
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

when i first heard that bird wanted to nab ben gordon in the draft, my immediate reaction was that bird wanted an athletic, scoring point guard.

IF we had landed gordon, i think he would have eventually replaced tinsley as a starter. can't see them playing together, somehow. so is bird still looking for a tinsley replacement?

personally though, i'm quite satisfied with tins.

One other thing that was pretty funny was a discussion on a swap and trade for Dampier. And I quote "The Pacers are still trying to make a swap and trade with GS for Dampier. Indiana is his first choice, but it might not happen because they (GS) are wanting Bender if they have to take The Big Stiff". Later Pollard's name came up again which put it all together.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we go for anyone else I think it's gonna be a center , I think bird was just putting the word out incase anyone would be intrested Doesn't mean we will make another trade and I think I could live with it if we didn't make anymore trades.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I don't know where Bird not liking Jamaal anymore is coming from...In Tinsley's end-of-the-year analysis: "Took a major step toward stardom -- so much so, in fact, Larry Bird identified him as the player most likely to join Jermaine O'Neal and Ron Artest in the All-Star Game in the future." That makes me think that Larry thinks highly of Jamaal and won't get rid of him. He may bring someone in to challenge him, but I think Jamaal will be a Pacer this year.

By the way, no me gusta Rick Fox. Es un bonito chico.

I would greatly welcome Greg Ostertag. I love his heart/enthusiasm. I am not seeing David getting much time this year, so perhaps Greg can come in and teach him a few things. Wait a minute; that may not be the best thing after all. Greg does have his outbursts too.

Here's the roster if I'd have it my way:
    Foster/Ostertag
    O'Neal/Croshere
    Artest/Jackson
    Miller/Bender/Jones
    Tinsley/Johnson/Wright
    IL: Pollard/Harrison/Jones

Here's what I think they're going to do:
    Foster/Pollard/Harrison
    O'Neal/Croshere
    Artest/Bender
    Miller/Jackson/Jones
    Tinsley/Johnson
    IL: Jones/Wright/FA(probably Boumtje-Boumtje)

We're pretty much set methinks.

Guys, when the GM says something nice about a player at the end of the year, that's not him slapping an "untradable" sticker on them, it's just a compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Guys, when the GM says something nice about a player at the end of the year, that's not him slapping an "untradable" sticker on them, it's just a compliment.
    Actually, that quote of Bird's was made at the beginning of last year. Or close to it. That is a very old quote, because I remember him saying that when Tinsley was benched.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Doesn't really matter when he said it, my point applies regardless of when it's said.

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    Actually, that quote of Bird's was made at the beginning of last year. Or close to it. That is a very old quote, because I remember him saying that when Tinsley was benched.
    The one in MSA's post? That was made at the end of this year. Or are you talking about something else?

The one about the future Allstar game. I am positive he said that earlier. He may have said it again at the end of the year, but I do recall him saying that much before. Oh well, not a big deal.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

He said it around the all-star break.... right after Ron got in. A reporter asked who would be next.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Then, why does it make sense for a guy who believes a player will be an All-Star to trade him before he gets to that level & so soon after the comments? (Don't bring Bender into this.)

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    Then, why does it make sense for a guy who believes a player will be an All-Star to trade him before he gets to that level & so soon after the comments? (Don't bring Bender into this.)
    Because he likes someone else better.

Because he likes someone else better.
    True. Truth is that Tinsley will be on the team this season though & that's what the important thing is, to me.

You don't know that for certain.

You don't know that for certain.
    True, and I don't know that I won't die tomorrow, but I believe I'm going to wake up Sunday.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wasn't Fox going to consider calling it quits?
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by pacerfan2425
    Wasn't Fox going to consider calling it quits?

I thought that's what I heard, but I never did hear a follow up. Right now I'm kind of expecting him to be back, but wouldn't be that surprised if he does retire. He looked like a shell of his former self this past season.