Thread: Let's take a nostalgic trip down memory lane..Larry Bird at his best..

Default Let's take a nostalgic trip down memory lane..Larry Bird at his best..

My favorite basketball player of ALL-TIME is Larry Bird.
    He is the reason I became a basketball fan. I remember back when I was real little, and my grandpa introduced me to his fav player.. Bird ...
    This was back around the time shortly after he was drafted by Boston.

I was watching some videos earlier and came across this and wanted to share.
    Larry wasn't the most athletic player, but in my opinion, he was one of the best to ever grace the basketball court..

Watch this video and reminisce with me on what was one of the most amazing and funnest players to watch in basketball..

warning... music on video is an eminem song with language...

I sooo wish basketball was as exciting and fun to watch as it was in the 80's ...

I have yet to see a player have the uncanny passing ability and eyes in the back of his head , that Bird had..

I long for one day , 2 or 3 players to come in and change the game the way Bird and Magic did .....
    Last edited by Kemo; 02-08-2010 at 06:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Talking Re: Let's take a nostalgic trip down memory lane..Larry Bird at his best..

Larry Bird - Trash Talking

Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Let's take a nostalgic trip down memory lane..Larry Bird at his best..

Hi Kemo, I live in Terre Haute and when Larry was sitting out after coming here from IU, I had a friend who got me in to watch him work out the year before he started playing for ISU. After watching him I told people he was the best I had ever seen and this was before his first game in college. I got season tickets and at that time I was in the 2nd row mid court. I got them before everyone else found out how great he was and saw every home game he played. He was an even better shooter in college. He broke his finger on his shooting hand playing softball his senior year and never did shoot quite as well after that. It was a great time for me to be able to see him in person at that time.
    Good is the enemy of Great

We're changing the identity of our basketball team -- dramatically. We're a power post team -- a blood-and-guts, old-school, smash-mouth team that plays with size, strength, speed and athleticism. We attack the basket. . . . This is the new identity of our team. It was a great effort. I'm very proud of our guys."
    -- Frank Vogel.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to colts19 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Let's take a nostalgic trip down memory lane..Larry Bird at his best..

That is an AWESOME story Colts19 !! Thank You for sharing it with us..

You are sooo lucky to have had that experience...

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo
    warning... music on video is an eminem song with language...
    Thank you for being considerate enough to note this.

And you may be the youngest guy around here who says this:

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo
    I sooo wish basketball was as exciting and fun to watch as it was in the 80's ...

But to balance cotls19's story I've got the tell what Bird's college career did for me. Swinford Hall at Ball State managed the NCAA 1979 pool by putting every name in and drawing for teams. As it turned out, I got ISU all to myself, which made me look really really good. Until they played UCLA in the finals. Phooey! That was the last time I ever bet on any sports outcome.

Last edited by Putnam; 02-08-2010 at 07:19 PM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

All hail King George! KnicksRGarbage's Avatar

God , nothing is more inspiring than basketball.

I won't lie, I'm a little young to have any recollection of Bird playing. I always knew Bird was great, but those clips were amazing. I think I enjoyed that more than any LeBron or Kobe compilation I've ever seen. I can only imagine the drama in the playoffs and domination during Larry Bird games. Thank you for posting this.
    Coach Vogel on the Chicago crowd in game 4 : "I only heard pacers fans. I didn't see any red, I saw Pacers fans I saw yellow and blue, and I heard Pacers chants. That's all I heard the whole game."

http://www.cacawebdev.com

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KnicksRGarbage For This Useful Post:

Didn't they play and lose to Magic Johnson's Michigan State Spartans in the final game?

He never let Magic live it down when they both got to the NBA, either.
    Last edited by heywoode; 02-08-2010 at 07:51 PM.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was flipping channels the other day and ran across an All Star game where Dantley gives a nasty elbow to Bird's schnahze while Larry gets called for the reach. What does Larry do? Run over to the bench, have some tissue crammed up his nose, and get back on the court ASAP... despite that his nose is gushing and running profusely...

With the replay, I'm amazed that his nose didn't break.

Makes you think of Pete Rose running over a catcher in a meaningless game, right?

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    Didn't they play and lose to Magic Johnson's Michigan State Spartans in the final game?

He never let Magic live it down when they both got to the NBA, either.

Yes, you are right. I was misremembering.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

I was too young to remember his games, but I did pull up his NBA stats. Bird was a beast.

http://www.nba.com/historical/player...yer=larry_bird

I didn't know that he ENDED his career averaging 20.2 PPG, 6.3 APG, 9.6 RPG, and .9 SPG while shooting 46.6% (40.6 3PT%) in his final season. Makes you wonder why he hasn't fired JOB yet given he ended his career as one of the best. Here's the Larry Bird that I want to see.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...birdla01c.html

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    Larry wasn't the most athletic player, but in my opinion, he was one of the best to ever grace the basketball court..
    At the risk of blowing open the whole "what is athleticism" argument again, I have to say that Larry had a superb sense of timing and superior body control. He didn't have a sculptured body, elite quickness or hops, but timing and body control are also components of being athletic in my opinion.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    At the risk of blowing open the whole "what is athleticism" argument again, I have to say that Larry had a superb sense of timing and superior body control. He didn't have a sculptured body, elite quickness or hops, but timing and body control are also components of being athletic in my opinion.
    Agreed, and well said. He rebounded awfully well for someone that could barely get off the floor. And blocked some shots too.

I agree..

But To clarify .. and give an example of what I meant by "athleticism", is the freakishly athletic players like Lebron, Dwight , etc..

Bird was athletic in other ways, but he was no physical specimen like above mentioned..

Loved the video! Thank you!

I went to Books-A-Million last week and saw Bird and Magic's book, When the Game was Ours. You know how book stores have chairs scattered around you can sit in and look at stuff? Well I sat down to look their book over with another book I was thinking about buying. I had no intentions of buying B&M's book because I was never a fan of their teams although I liked both guys.

I spent a good half hour reading it because I couldn't put it down. I spent less than a minute with the other book but it no longer interested me. I bought the B&M book. I finished it yesterday and think it's a great read.

All Pacer fans should read it just to see how Bird thinks. I'm firmly convinced he has a good plan for the Pacers and it will come together in another year and a half.

Something I didn't know is Michael Jordan has Bird in his top 5 all time.

Also I'm convinced the players in the 80's were better players than the guys nowdays. Let me amend that, the teams were better because they played team basketball. They would kill todays teams with their passing.

In 1994 Magic was asked to coach the Lakers the last 16 games, but he couldn't get the team to play right. He told the team he was going to show them they didn't know how to play. He took 4 coaches and beat the Laker's 3 times.

Players nowdays with few exceptions don't try to make their team mates better, it's all me, me, me. And that's not how you play a team game.

I think in a few more years European teams will be better than NBA teams because of the way they play.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Completely agree. When I'm scouting and talking about "NBA athlete" I think both Bird and Magic easily fit that mold. He was clearly quick as h***, great reach (look at some of those steals), handles and arm length for tight, strong behind the back passes, amazing off-balance shooting touch.

See I think people see scrappy guys today and equate that to Bird, but that's totally wrong. He wasn't scrappy, he was one of the best basketball athletes out there. There's more to that than just jumping.

Skiles was closer to "scrappy" rather than being an ideal athlete.

I hated Bird as a kid because I was a huge Magic/Jabbar/Lakers fan, really love them right up to the point they added Kobe/Shaq. It turned that quick. Loved Van Excel years, hated right after that.

But I respected Bird, just like I did Gervin, Dr J, etc. Those guys could ball.

I still say that IMO Jordan was one of the WORST THINGS to ever happen to the NBA. His style was so one on one based and guys like AI came up trying to be more like him and less like Magic/Bird. But in the 80s everyone wanted to throw no look passes, it wasn't about a one on one move for a tongue out dunk.

NBA hit a perfect point in the 80's. That's not nostalgia, it's just how it went. Loved Pacers great years, but the overall style of play by then was far different. The Pacers were a great TEAM, but they weren't playing like the Celts/Lakers had 10 years prior.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up Re: Let's take a nostalgic trip down memory lane..Larry Bird at his best..

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I still say that IMO Jordan was one of the WORST THINGS to ever happen to the NBA. His style was so one on one based and guys like AI came up trying to be more like him and less like Magic/Bird. But in the 80s everyone wanted to throw no look passes, it wasn't about a one on one move for a tongue out dunk.

NBA hit a perfect point in the 80's. That's not nostalgia, it's just how it went. Loved Pacers great years, but the overall style of play by then was far different. The Pacers were a great TEAM, but they weren't playing like the Celts/Lakers had 10 years prior.
    I Couldn't agree with this statement any more..

bravo

Mood

Those highlights are why I fell in love with basketball when I first saw most of them as a kid. It's why I'll always love Larry Bird the player, and in turn (in conjunction with fully diving in as a Pacers fan when he coached them) while I'll always have a soft spot for him now.

I've looked awful hard at buying a hardwood classics jersey of his when I'm perusing the Home Court gift shop. I still probably will at some point.

Mood

I have to agree with you that basketball was much funner to watch in the 80's era. I remember the guys that were like gods to us as children: Bird, Magic, DR J., Kareem, it was all we wanted to be like. I remember shooting ball in the driveway and thinking to myself as the clock was ready to expire in my head and making those same shots and passes that Bird or Magic would make. Then my older uncle would come out and spank me like the little kid that I was.

I have to agree that the 80's were the best for pro basketball. I was a big Walton fan and loved the Blazers of the late 70's because of the great team play. I remember a sports illustrated mag cover that had Walton and Bird on the front with the headline can they save the NBA. I guess they didn't figure Magic would be the one with bird saving the NBA.
    Good is the enemy of Great

We're changing the identity of our basketball team -- dramatically. We're a power post team -- a blood-and-guts, old-school, smash-mouth team that plays with size, strength, speed and athleticism. We attack the basket. . . . This is the new identity of our team. It was a great effort. I'm very proud of our guys."
    -- Frank Vogel.