Thread: IndyStar-Johnson agrees to terms-Brewer-Wright Point guard competition

Default IndyStar-Johnson agrees to terms-Brewer-Wright Point guard competition

http://www.indystar.com/articles/0/162912-9800-179.html

Johnson agrees to terms

The Pacers reached an oral agreement Thursday with point guard Anthony Johnson on a four-year contract worth $10 million-$11 million.

Johnson, 29, averaged 6.2 points and 2.8 assists for the Pacers last season. His agent, Richard Howell, said 10 to 12 teams expressed interest.

"All along, Indiana was his No. 1 option," Howell said. "This is where he wanted to go."

Johnson, who played for a league-minimum salary of $813,679 last season, is scheduled to fly to Indianapolis today to sign his contract.

Point guard competition

After Johnson signs, there will be just one roster spot for another point guard and at least two players vying for the job.

Free agent Jamison Brewer, who spent the past three seasons with the Pacers, and second-round draft pick Rashad Wright have designs on the job.

It's an audition of sorts, Pacers associate coach Mike Brown said, a competition that should bring out the best in two competitive players during the Pacers' summer league stint at the Rocky Mountain Revue, which begins today and runs through July 24.

"He's right. It's wide open, healthy competition," Brewer said.

Default Re: IndyStar-Johnson agrees to terms-Brewer-Wright Point guard competition

I've been saying I didn't think the Pacers would carry 4 point guards this year. It would seem they don't intend to. As for the competition I think Brewer might have the edge. (if he's developed a shot) He's familiar with the Pacer's system thus making him more of a veteran, I think Wright will really have to be something to beat him out.

Another thing, Saying there will be just one roster spot for another point guard leaves one roster spot open. The Pacers are apparently searching for another big man. Mark Montieth says they have shown interest in Dampier, but don't appear desperate to get him.

What I think will happen if they don't make any more trades is they will keep one of the big centers on their summer league team. One of the following.

RUBEN BOUMTJE-BOUMTJE C 7-0 257 5/20/78
    A second round draft pick (No. 50 overall) of the Portland Trail Blazers in 2001, he has logged a total of 44 games in three seasons and 11 games in the last two campaigns for Portland...before being traded to Cleveland along with Jeff McInnis, 1/21, he had four points and one rebound in nine games for the Blazers...after being acquired by the Cavs, he was placed on the injured list where he remained for the remainder of the season...in just two games in 2002-03, he had one offensive rebound, one steal and one assist in five scoreless (0-1 FG) minutes...his rebound, steal and assist all came in the same game--vs. Golden State, 4/1/03...as a rookie, he played in 33 games, averaging 1.2 ppg and 1.7 rpg...in the best game of his career, he had career-highs of five points and five rebounds in 16 minutes at Sacramento, 12/29/01...in a career-high 24 minutes vs. Detroit, 12/21/01, he had three points, four rebounds, an assist and two blocked shots...he blocked a career-high three shots twice: vs. Golden State, 10/31/01, and at San Antonio, 12/19/01...as a rookie, he missed 41 games due to injury and eight due to coaching decisions.

SOUMAILA SAMAKE C 7-0 230 3/18/78
    A 2000 second round draft pick (36th overall) of the New Jersey Nets, he played 34 games for the Nets, averaging 1.4 ppg and 1.6 rpg as a rookie in 2000-01...in July, 2001, he was traded to Phoenix as part of the Jason Kidd-Stephon Marbury trade...he was then dealt by the Suns to Chicago for Jake Voskuhl, but never played for the Bulls...playing in Italy, he averaged 9.5 ppg and 9.2 rpg for Orlandino Basket in 2001-02...signed in August, 2002, by the L.A. Lakers, he logged 13 games and 77 minutes for L.A...he averaged 1.7 ppg and 1.8 rpg for the Lakers...he was the Lakers' starting center on opening night, 10/29/02, registering two points, six rebounds and two blocked shots in 13 minutes vs. the Spurs...the next night at Portland, he scored a career-high 10 points on 4-6 FGS and 2-2 FTS...he added seven rebounds and two assists off the Lakers' bench...after being waived by L.A. in December 2002, he signed with the Greenville Groove of the NBDL, where he led the league with an average of 1.6 bpg in 33 games....he ranked third in the league in field goal percentage, hitting 101-181 FGS (.558), and ranked fifth best in the NBDL with 7.0 rpg...he also averaged 8.2 ppg...in January 2004, he signed with Detal Met Notec Inowroclaw in Poland...in Poland, he averaged 9.6 ppg and 8.1 rpg in 15 games...before being drafted by the Nets, he played one season for KK Slovan in Slovenia, where he averaged 7.0 ppg and shot 81-123 from the floor (.659)

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: IndyStar-Johnson agrees to terms-Brewer-Wright Point guard competition

Isn't Brewer, as a four-vet vet, going to cost several hundred thousand more than Wright? And after having been on the IL for three years, he should clearly be better than the rookie? "Its wide open, healthy competition." isn't exactly a ringing endoresement.

I don't see Brewer wearing blue-and-gold next season; and if anybody in the NBA picks him up, he won't get any more minutes than he's gotten here. He needs three or four seasons in NBDL/ CBA/ overseas. The Pacers have actually done him a major dis-service by stashing him away on the injured list.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

*If* Brewer actually had a reliable jump shot, he would be a great 2nd PG, bringing high energy, huge athleticism, good size and tight defense. He has the ability defensively to break the opponent's PG down. The difference in his jump shot from 2 years ago to last year was remarkable. I think he knows what he has to do and if has done it, we will retain him. Keep in mind Heywoode Workman stuck in the league despite being buried on benches before he got a break here.

On the other hand, I think AJ's 4 year deal is the true sign that the team still doesn't believe in Brewer.

75Ranger

If they don't make a move for a center like Dampier I wouldn't mind having Ruben Boumjte Boumjte on this team as a second or 3rd center on this team. Hes another big guy with bulk that we can throw in a game against some of the more physical teams.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Ranger
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they don't make a move for a center like Dampier I wouldn't mind having Ruben Boumjte Boumjte on this team as a second or 3rd center on this team. Hes another big guy with bulk that we can throw in a game against some of the more physical teams.
    Of course, if he makes the team - baring any trades - he'll be the FOURTH center off the bench!
    Which is to say, he won't be leaving the bench at all.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Quote Originally Posted by blanket
    Quote Originally Posted by 75Ranger
    Of course, if he makes the team - baring any trades - he'll be the FOURTH center off the bench!
    Which is to say, he won't be leaving the bench at all.
    He might when we play the Heat 3-4 times a year.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

He might if there was an injury. That's it.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I'd feel very comfortable going into next season with the roster we currently have-Brewer or Wright: who cares.

I'm very glad to have Harrison in the middle and I think we have a good chance to advance very far-maybe even win the whole thing.
    Two=the number 2
    Too=means "also"
    To=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (two, too) do not apply.

Their=shows ownership-'it is their house'
    They're=they are
    There=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (their, they're) do not apply

Sorry but it bugs me when these are used incorrectly when I read posts on PacersDigest.com.

I just can't believe we gave AJ a 4 year deal, supposedly ed:

I mean, he's not terrible, but he's not great, and last year the offense came to a grinding halt when he checked in. Opposing point guards pressured him down the court, forcing us to start our offense late, and obviously AJ isn't going to be threading the needle to the cutter for an easy layup. To me, he's like Eric Strickland with a better attitude, less athleticism, and better feel for the PG position.

I understand we needed someone with some experience back there, because we couldn't go into the season with Wright and Brewer as our options, but 4 years seems a little excessive, unless we plan on packaging him as filler down the road.

Here's to hoping either Brewer or Wright outplay him this season :

The deal was between 10-11 mill...

Does anyone know how much he made last year?
    Here, everyone have a : on me

Quote Originally Posted by ILovethePacers
    The deal was between 10-11 mill...

Does anyone know how much he made last year?
    $800k.

I don't care about Brewer's shot. He's gotta show some bball-IQ and lead the team on the floor. His shot don't matter (much.)

I think Brown's comments are very telling. This is Sigg's last chance. He needs to bring it. It'd help if Artest went to Salt Lake and cheerlead for him, too.

You know, in 5 years, when we've got a real farm system, we're gonna be sitting around here saying, "Can you imagine what this thing could have done for guys like Jamison Brewer?" :
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!