Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SuperBowl Commercial (Larry Bird)

Default SuperBowl Commercial (Larry Bird)

Everyone get a chance to see the McDonalds commercial featuring LeBron, Dwight and Bird that was filmed at Conseco a few months back?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01Jh6i77tpE

Mood

Default Re: SuperBowl Commercial (Larry Bird)

I missed that one, nice.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

nice. the CG could have been done better, though. some of the dunks had noticeable stutters/jumps inbetween motions that clearly showed that the players themselves weren't really dunking.

Mood

Sports Logo

Yes, I saw that.

That was quite a surprise to all of a sudden see Larry over there thanking
    them for lunch!

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

"Who's that?"

"I have no idea."
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Who's that?"

"I have no idea."
    "your future GM"....

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It was so-so, 'til Larry showed up and saved the commercial. The end was very funny to me.

Yeah the ending was good, the first 3/4 of the commerical I thought was bad

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

It is kind of surreal that 20 years later, with all the superstars the NBA has created, they still need Larry freaking hick Bird to get people's attention.

Amazing.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    It is kind of surreal that 20 years later, with all the superstars the NBA has created, they still need Larry freaking hick Bird to get people's attention.

Amazing.
    I don't think that was why Larry was in the commercial. Dwight and Lebron were doing an updated version of a similar commerical that Larry and Magic did from the 80's - Magic and Bird were making incredible shots where as Dwight and Lebron were doing incredible dunks. So it was ironic to have Bird show up and then it funny that Dwight claimed to not know who Bird was.

I don't think the makers of the commercial was sitting around worrying that if they did one with just Dwight and Lebron that many peopl wouldn't know who either was and that they needed Bird in it so people had a clue.

More people right now know Lebron than they do Larry

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Yeah the ending was good, the first 3/4 of the commerical I thought was bad
    The talking heads on ESPN were panning it today, saying they should have just been real dunks.

I agree that the punchline was pretty funny... though we all know that LeBron and Dwight know who #33 is.

My favorite part was Dwight saying "no jump shots".

I would have liked to seen Larry wad up the McDonald's bag after he finished and bounce it off the scoreboard into the other basket - nothing but net.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post

I would have liked to seen Larry wad up the McDonald's bag after he finished and bounce it off the scoreboard into the other basket - nothing but net.
    Now that would have been perfect......and from a sitting position.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Horrible CGI for the win.

From the people that brought you Anaconda and every single horror/sci fi shot featuring a human mouth opening beyond realistic size for "shock" effect.

I know they used effects for the crazy Bird/Jordon long distance shots, but at least they seemed to start off with reality. Why not have a couple of real dunks, then add in some of the CG to enhance crazy half-court off a trampoline kinda things, stuff that maybe they could do but would be way too risky, maybe the Boomer bungie cord drop in for a dunk too.

Heck, why not have one of them do a classic Nique dunk to win and then have him with Bird eating the fries, then saying "not impressed" with Bird adding "nope" as they leave in a "been there, done that" way.

Then you take that, flip it to a 2nd version where James wants to go to jumpshots since Howard won by dunks. Again James wins with some Bird like baseline over the backboard and you again cut to him and Nique (or Jordan if you could get him btw) with a similar type of "still not impressed" response. Now you've got 2 different ads on the same gimmick.

Then again I've been mega-PO'd ever since Coke blew a homerun by failing to have Kevin Greene be the little kid from the original Mean Joe Green Coke commerical, and then tossing his own PIT jersey to a kid when they went to the SB.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post

the parallel is nice with Bird saying "no dunks" in the original version

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I don't think that was why Larry was in the commercial. Dwight and Lebron were doing an updated version of a similar commerical that Larry and Magic did from the 80's - Magic and Bird were making incredible shots where as Dwight and Lebron were doing incredible dunks. So it was ironic to have Bird show up and then it funny that Dwight claimed to not know who Bird was.

I don't think the makers of the commercial was sitting around worrying that if they did one with just Dwight and Lebron that many peopl wouldn't know who either was and that they needed Bird in it so people had a clue.

More people right now know Lebron than they do Larry
    Good points.

But I think I still disagree.

First of all, why not Jordan? Why Bird? My guess is that he hits a demographic that the other guys still can't reach.

Secondly, no, I don't think Lebron is known by more people. Simply years and numbers would give Bird the advantage. Most everyone who knows Lebron is familiar with Bird. But of bunch of older folks who gave up on the NBA are far more familiar with Bird than LeBron.

Just my opinion. I bet there are some marketing statistics out there that could answer the question.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

um...I guarentee you Jordan was asked to be in it first, and most likely turned it down.

Probably 3/4 of the kids watching that commercial said "who's that?" right along with Dwight.

Bird was put in there to appease sentimental old timers like you. If he actually mattered beyond that, he'd have a bigger part in the commercial.

LMAO at the assumption that more people know Bird than leBron. Maybe in the 65 and older demographic....
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-09-2010 at 03:41 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    um...I guarentee you Jordan was asked to be in it first.

Probably 2/3 of the kids watching that commercial said "who's that?" right along with Dwight.

Bird was put in there to appease sentimental old timers like you. If he actually mattered beyond that, he'd have a bigger part in the commercial.
    Well, thanks for clearing that up!

I kid because I care.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Good points.

But I think I still disagree.

First of all, why not Jordan? Why Bird? My guess is that he hits a demographic that the other guys still can't reach.

Secondly, no, I don't think Lebron is known by more people. Simply years and numbers would give Bird the advantage. Most everyone who knows Lebron is familiar with Bird. But of bunch of older folks who gave up on the NBA are far more familiar with Bird than LeBron.

Just my opinion. I bet there are some marketing statistics out there that could answer the question.

I think Lebron is known by more people overall. But I'm 100% convinced that Lebron is known by more people in the younger demographics the advertising are trying to reach. They pay a premuim to reach the 18-34 male demo.

Why not Jordan? they certainly could have, maybe he didn't want to do it - not sure

I think the more depressing thing is that we live in a basketball world where now a commercial made with two stars doesn't even have jump shots in it anymore, the cool thing about the Jordan-Bird commercial was we've all played HORSE. Not all of us are going out to the blacktop and doing 360 windmills against each other. Should have had Lebron and Melo or Lebron and Kobe or Lebron and Wade and still have it be jumpshots...

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

the point behind the commercial was a different take. It was perfect for them to have a "no jumper" rule after the original "no dunking" rule.

Having Howard in the ad had nothing to do with it, either. You dont think they couldnt have had him making 80-foot jumpers? None of that **** is real!

And not all of us are throwing 300-foot bounce shots off main street either. It's a commercial.

Put me in the crowd that liked the new commercial. I think doing an exact remake with Howard and LeBron would be really stupid.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-09-2010 at 04:05 PM.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Banned

we should be happy that the commercial was film in the conseco fieldhouse and that the GM(Larry Bird) was in it, at least that was a happy note about the pacers this season.

Meh, true I'm not making the shots they made, but the point still stands, the dunk rules the NBA now...

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods