Thread: Trading The 2010 1st Pick

Default Trading The 2010 1st Pick

I have been a proponent of getting a 4-7 pick this season, but after looking at what picks other teams have I'm not sure I would mind trading a 4-7 pick to another team for their picks, pick and a player, etc. What are your thoughts about trading the 010 pick?

Default Re: Trading The 2010 1st Pick

I'd rather keep the pick. This year's draft seems like its going to be good
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Not sure how many "must haves" are in this class. Wall (and I don't think he's a sure thing yet), Turner, Wes Johnson perhaps, Patterson, Favors look safe...ish.

But if you are at 6-8, I don't see any reason not to trade back 5-6 positions.

Banned

Hell no, If you have a pick between 4th and 7th you have a chance to get a top player.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We can't afford to lower our chances of drafting a significant player, which is what trading back would do.

I'm not sure, I don't know too much about the draft class..but I would think that two picks between

8-15 is in general better than one pick between 4-7...as there doesn't seem to be more than 2 must have players coming out.

There's apparently a lot of good PFs this draft...if we get two pretty early in the draft you'd think between McBob, Tyler, and the 2 draft picks one of them would end up being the PF "of the future."

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure how many "must haves" are in this class. Wall (and I don't think he's a sure thing yet), Turner, Wes Johnson perhaps, Patterson, Favors look safe...ish.

But if you are at 6-8, I don't see any reason not to trade back 5-6 positions.

I was thinking that Minnie has 3 1st's in the draft. As it stands now, they have the #2, 13, and 23. I was mulling around the idea of what if the Pacers traded their 1st to Minnie for the 13 & 23 plus flipped their 2nd with Minnie for Minnie's 2nd. It would give the Pacers a 13, 23, and a #2 in the 2nd. Kahn then has Minnie's the #2 pick, the Pacers 1st, plus a 4-8 pick in the 2nd round in order to continue his rebuilding.

You have stated that there should be some nice PF's and other players available in the teens. This is what got me to thinking about trading the #1. I know you'd love to have Love, but I don't see anyway Minnie would trade him in a package deal to get the Pacers #1 pick unless Granger was included. I can't see Bird trading Granger as an option.

"My intention isn't to make this into a trade thread, but if posters would be in favor or not in favor of trading the Pacers 1st."

Personally, I could see trading the 1st "IF" the right trade came along that would benefit the Pacers for the future.

I'm glad you started this thread, JT; thanks! I'm on record as being a Seth disciple here: if in top 5, try to get Wall, Evans or Favors; else consider trading down a bit and pick up an additional 1st-rounder.

You raise a titilating alternative, however. Consider two current players on teams looking to deal: the Hornets' Okafor and Golden State's Biedrins. Sure, they both have seemingly daunting 4-to-5-yr contracts currently at $9-10.5 mil. But no matter what, after next year we'll be looking for at least one stud FA -- on a new salary scale, perhaps, but we'll be shopping.

So, two (related) questions:
    1) Might we be able to lure a FA in two years who will be as good or better than Okafor, or even Biedrins?

2) If our "sweet spot," in terms of maximal competiveness, is in 2-3 years, would a strategy of drafting a player in the 6-10 range (let's say Patterson) this year be preferred -- in 2 to 3 years -- to having Okafor still in his prime (and with only 2 more years on his contract at a time when we're having to renew Hibbert, Rush, etc.)?

Have to find someone to trade up first.
    JOB is a silly man

Quote Originally Posted by jhondog28 View Post
    Have to find someone to trade up first.
    I like the idea of trading with Minnesota. But is this draft deep enough to make it worthwhile?

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    I like the idea of trading with Minnesota. But is this draft deep enough to make it worthwhile?

That's a good question. What I do know is players are going to rise to the top like cream during conf playoffs and March Madness that aren't the heralded ones now. It will be interesting to see if this draft is deep enough to trade down. My guess is it will be.

I said this before in a previous thread. I would do it in order to get a top-notch FA. Historically, Indiana has a TOUGH time attracting TOP free agent talent to Indianapolis. I wouldn't mind a 10-15 pick if we got Chris Bosh in a sign and trade deal. Obviously, I just threw out a name, but you all get the picture.
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 02-08-2010 at 02:31 AM.

Mood

If we could get a top-tier guy for a player and our pick, why not. If this guy is envisioned to be playing next to Danny or Roy and would make us absolutely better. I would even make that trade now if we could get that pick top 5 protected or spread out to the 2012 draft. One guy that comes to mind is Bosh right now. Having a line-up of Price, Dun or Rush, Danny, Bosh, and Roy could be a pretty descent team.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    If we could get a top-tier guy for a player and our pick, why not. If this guy is envisioned to be playing next to Danny or Roy and would make us absolutely better. I would even make that trade now if we could get that pick top 5 protected or spread out to the 2012 draft. One guy that comes to mind is Bosh right now. Having a line-up of Price, Dun or Rush, Danny, Bosh, and Roy could be a pretty descent team.
    If the pick is protected, that would even be better.

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    If the pick is protected, that would even be better.

Why does anyone trading for a low pick want to trade for a protected one? That defeats their purpose in trading for a 4-7 pick if it's protected. It's we'll trade you our 4-7 pick for this, this, and that; but our pick is protected 1-7. That's not going to fly and smacks of homerism.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Why does anyone trading for a low pick want to trade for a protected one? That defeats their purpose in trading for a 4-7 pick if it's protected. It's we'll trade you our 4-7 pick for this, this, and that; but our pick is protected 1-7. That's not going to fly and smacks of homerism.
    Find the right team, and they'll do it. For example, Lakers could do such a trade. Unless the Lakers are completely degutted (ala Da Bulls), they'll never be bad enough to fall into the lottery. Clearly, teams do it and have done it, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion now.

Philadelphia, Washington, New York, Detroit, & Sacramento all have similar records to the Pacers. I see the Pacers drafting 9-11 in this group if we don't hit top 3.

I think it will be more interesting to see what happens with the expiring contracts of Ford, Murphy, & Dunleavy. If the a team is willing to take on a large expiring and one of those contracts I feel that the Pacers trade up in the draft if they don't land a top 3.

Hey everyone, new poster here, but I've been lurking for years, but not in a creepy way. Been a Pacer fan since the days of Big Mac and Slick. I know we need to wait till the lottery to see where we end up, but I'm all for using our pick to improve our team anyway possible. If it's through a trade for a veteran, great. If we get lucky in the lottery and get a top 3 pick, even better. Quite frankly, I'm more concerned with what makes us better in 2012. Everything we do between now and then needs to have that goal in mind, because we are not going to be competing for any championships this year or next. Later, Bingo

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Hmm, I like that Minny idea.

Here's what you could realistically get, let's say the Pacers were at 6th before the deal.

So 6th and 36th, turned into 13, 23, 32. I can see both sides having some interest there.

Let's do a quick, dirty mock. I'll move Davis and Henry to 2011 for now.
    Wall
    Turner
    Johnson
    Favors
    Aminu

Pacers give up shot at Patterson, Cousins, Montejunas, Monroe.
    That's 9.

The rest should include Aldrich, Sanders, Robinson perhaps.

So the best you could get would be Lawal (strong, tad short), Udoh (raw but coming on well), D James (SF, but good enough to improve Indy??), Bradley (very raw SG/PG), Brackins (SF style PF, see Odom)

With the 23rd you are adding Poindexter (SG, good stroke, not much else), Booker (great power guy, height is issue)

This could see Ndiaye at 32, but he could also go to 36. Poindexter and Booker are the same really. Lace Dunn coming out would shake this up.

So to me while I'm here jocking something like this, it is HIGH RISK. At 6 you get a POWER guy for sure, at least one you think can be that. At 13 all that might be left are the more undersized types.

Who is in or out of the draft has a monster impact as well. I think if you can get Ndiaye AND Brackins AND Dunn or Poindexter (or Udoh instead of Ndiaye perhaps) then you've got a power inside, a scoring PF/SF, and a little SG bump/flier.

I don't think that's a horrible hit to go from Patterson, Monroe or Sanders to Ndiaye AND Brackins. And it's possible that going from 36-32 is what keeps Poindexter there for you, though if Lace Dunn is also there then I don't care that much.

If Patterson is tracking toward 13 then this becomes nice, same with a few other guys. Lots of juggling still to go unfortunately.

Bottom line - risky, but maybe if somehow we are looking more like 12 and 18th instead of 13-23...or of course the involvement of a player(s).

Also, in the top 5 where you get at least Aminu or Favors, I don't think you can vacate that. I'm a tiny concerned with using Aminu here with Danny on board already.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think it comes down to who we want. We wanted Tyler and could not trade back. Granted there may be more takers since we are higher in the draft, but there will be a short list of players that Bird wants.

All I know is that there will be at least one player calling foul on any pick we take.

if we get d cousins n d. jone from usf as point wit 2 nd we set for future....