Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

Jay, perhaps we have a different understanding of what basketball IQ is and how it effects a players game.

I consider a basketball IQ to be a players basketball instincts, his god given instincts.

Players with very, very high IQ's. Bird, Magic, Stockton, players who just have a great feel for the game.

Perhaps this is where we disagree, I don't consider decision making baskeball IQ. Ron is not a great decision maker, but he has an excellent feel for the game. His instincts are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Perhaps this is where we disagree, I don't consider decision making baskeball IQ. Ron is not a great decision maker, but he has an excellent feel for the game.
    So Ron just doesn't feel like making good decisions?.....

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by RA231
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddies
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoop
    I'm with Suaveness 100% on this Ron discussion.

Ron shot 42% - JO shot 43% for the season, they both need to work on there shot selection. Why does Ron always get blamed for being a ball hog. Assists per game Ron 3.7 - JO 2.1
    Jermaine is our STAR and our best offensive player. If the offense is running right he's touching the ball on 1/2 our posessions. Artest is a COMLEMENTARY player the likes to shoot as much as our star. And usually from further away.
    How many 3's did Jermaine attempt this year?
    Artest?
    Ok I'm not gettin what ur sayin. Especially that last part.

(artest shoots a lot of bad threes)

Quote Originally Posted by Freddies
    I'm with Suaveness 100% on this Ron discussion.

Ron shot 42% - JO shot 43% for the season, they both need to work on there shot selection. Why does Ron always get blamed for being a ball hog. Assists per game Ron 3.7 - JO 2.1
    Jermaine is our STAR and our best offensive player. If the offense is running right he's touching the ball on 1/2 our posessions. Artest is a COMLEMENTARY player the likes to shoot as much as our star. And usually from further away.
    How many 3's did Jermaine attempt this year?
    Artest?
    I know JO is our star and should touch the ball most everytime down the floor, but he should be shooting better than 1 percent point better than Ron who does shoot 3's. COMLEMENTARY player my @ss, Ron was a All Star and 3rd team all NBA, a team can have more than one go to guy!

So it's OK for JO to shoot a low percentage and not OK for Ron to? JO only averaged 1.8 more points per game than Ron did while only shooting 1.3% better.

All I was saying is they both need to work on there shot selection and maybe both of there FG%'s will go up.

Sorry for the rant
    Agreed on the shot selection improvement for both.
    BUT - Ron was an all star BECAUSE of his defensive abilities. On the offensive end he benefits GREATLY from the attention (double teams) that Jermaine lives with nightly.

Ron is a star, but not even close to the opposing teams focus that Jermaine is.

WHEN Artest can beat a double team, much less shoot 43% while doing it, THEN he won't be complementary. Until then, shooting 42% while unguarded or single man guarded, isn't even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    Everything he brings physically and talent-wise he throws away with selfish play and a basketball IQ that's abysmal. There are numerous other examples; Ron *was* suspended for conduct detrimental to winning last season so at least once the current coaching staff has agreed with my assessment.

Jay I don't know what you mean by *was* suspended. Maybe I have completely "spaced it" but he was not suspended. He did not start the second half of the Nets game, but the next game was a home game with the Grizzlies and he was not suspended for that game.

I completely disagree that Ron's baskketball IQ is "abysmal" In fact I would go so far as to say his basketball IQ is above average. It certainly is not a detriment
    I'm not trying to be an @$$, but you just watched the fourth quarter of a game in which he took an ill-advised flagrant foul that cost us the lead, tried to dunk on the best shotblockers in the game today, and fired up a forty-footer while one of the best clutch players of this generation was open coming off a screen.

I know the flagrant was a questionable call by the official, but if he doesn't retaliate, Rip doesn't get a chance to exaggerate and we may never have lost the lead.

I'm laughing to myself because you and I both know that you wouldn't put up with that from any other player.

If we could just get his basketball-IQ up to "bad"; I might get off his case.
    Listen, Ron did not do a thing on the flagrant foul. All he did was put his arm up. He didn't move it, he just left it there. And Rip did a TERRIFIC acting job. That is about it. And because of Ron's history, they got the flagrant. Not to mention it was blown out of proportion by the commentators.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the dunk attempt. Laying the ball off the glass doesn't always work, as referenced the end of game 2...Ron was just trying to get the basket, and I in no way believe that was wrong. And yes, that long shot by Ron was bad, but that was a single mistake. Ron's IQ is fine, very good.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.