Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

Horologist Extraordinaire t1hs0n's Avatar

Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

You can't discount all of ronnies play just for one shot that you didn't like. One shot does not make you a ball hog. There had been several games over the course of the year where ron took over near the end and put 4-8 points up in a row and forced the other team to ajust. Then he would swing the ball to other people and we would walk away with a ~10 point lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    MSA, I'd normally like your avatar, but I thought the Bus should've retired two seasons ago. He's holding the Steelers back.

Suaveness, I can't believe you don't get tired of making the same old excuses. Surely you realize at some subconscious level that Ron's *individual* effort to take the game over is exactly the reason the *team* lost. Was the one-on-five drive to try to dunk on Ben Wallace in the last two minutes dumb, too, or just the forty-footer?
    I am not making excuses, Ron is not the reason the Pacers lost. Other than that bad shot by Ron, the other ones where shots that he normally made. I refuse to believe that a couple of missed shots cost us the game.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    Sauve, I don't think anyone's real role is to take the bigger shots, except maybe Reggie. If the opportunity arises, anyone on the team should take it, even AJ.
    But who was stepping up to take those shots? I didn't see anyone out there calling for the ball, and telling Ron to give it up. Someone had to shoot the ball, and it ends up being Ron. If he makes his shots, he is considered a hero. If he misses, he should be traded and blamed for the loss

And its SUAVE Geez, get it right!
    I wasn't referring specifically to that game. Your comments sounded as though AJ shouldn't take big shots because he's not "supposed to." My comments were just a general rule of thumb type of thing. Okay, Sauve?
    Oh, I definitely agree with you. Anyone can take the big shot, the problem is in that game no one stepped up to do it.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quit telling lies.

Reggie's teammates were setting screens for him. He was wide open at one of his favorite spots. Ron shot the forty-footer because he wasn't even looking for his teammates.

JO was struggling, no doubt. Because of his injury, we probably wouldn't have won any way. But with Rick on the sideline screaming to get the ball to JO, and JO doing everything he could to establish position, you just don't know if your first option is going to be effective down the stretch if your first option never touches the ball.

AJ can't really run the offense but he certainly hit a lot of big shots for us last season.
    Oh come now, like I said, that was one bad shot by Ron. You can't go judging a game based on a single bad play. Yes JO was hurt, and I'm sure Ron realized that. I have absolutely no idea what goes on in basketball players' heads, but he felt as though he could score. And if he felt he could, I don't have a problem with him taking shots. And I didn't see the players blame Ron afterwards. If he was such a problem, he wouldn't be a Pacer right now. At that specific point in the game, I see nothing wrong with Ron's play.

Sauve, I don't think anyone's real role is to take the bigger shots, except maybe Reggie. If the opportunity arises, anyone on the team should take it, even AJ.
    But who was stepping up to take those shots? I didn't see anyone out there calling for the ball, and telling Ron to give it up. Someone had to shoot the ball, and it ends up being Ron. If he makes his shots, he is considered a hero. If he misses, he should be traded and blamed for the loss

And its SUAVE Geez, get it right!
    I wasn't referring specifically to that game. Your comments sounded as though AJ shouldn't take big shots because he's not "supposed to." My comments were just a general rule of thumb type of thing. Okay, Sauve?
    Oh, I definitely agree with you. Anyone can take the big shot, the problem is in that game no one stepped up to do it.
    How is anybody supposed to step up and take the big shot if Ron chucks it up from just past half-court?

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Like I said, that was one shot.

At some point this weekend if I have 15 minutes, I'll watch the 4th quarter of the of game #6 again and then I'll weigh in on this discussion.

But I will say right now I have no problem what-so-ever with Ron trying to dunk the ball. I don't care who was in the area, as I remember it it was a great, great block by Ben

RA231

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    At some point this weekend if I have 15 minutes, I'll watch the 4th quarter of the of game #6 again and then I'll weigh in on this discussion.

But I will say right now I have no problem what-so-ever with Ron trying to dunk the ball. I don't care who was in the area, as I remember it it was a great, great block by Ben

I'm not totally sure what play ur talkin about UB but I remember a play near the end of the game where Ron ran around Ben and went for a dunk and missed it, he looked off balance and didnt get a good take off and seemed to barely get to the rim.

Yeah Ben blocked that one. It was towards the end.

I have the game right in front of me. Ben didn't block it. Ron was starting to throw it down, and then put an extra "umph" into it on the down swing and just threw it too hard and it clanked the rim.

RA231

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I have the game right in front of me. Ben didn't block it. Ron was starting to throw it down, and then put an extra "umph" into it on the down swing and just threw it too hard and it clanked the rim.
    Thats what I thought

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was gonna say, I don't remember a block... I remember thar Ron couldn't get close enough to finish the dunk because Ben was standing there waiting on him.

Ever hear of using the glass/ shooting a high %-age layup instead of trying to power it over someone bigger than you?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

RA231

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    I was gonna say, I don't remember a block... I remember thar Ron couldn't get close enough to finish the dunk because Ben was standing there waiting on him.

Ever hear of using the glass/ shooting a high %-age layup instead of trying to power it over someone bigger than you?
    Ill chime in since I have seen this whole thread

I understand what people are saying about Artest. I do think he tries to hard sometimes, but I think some of you are being to hard on him for a couple of plays.

You can say what you said about Ron jay, but at the same time, you can say if Reggie doesnt let up on that lay up or jsut dunks it, we win game 2.

I dont like the fact that people judge a player on one play. One player doesnt lose a game, or a season. If other guys had stepped up, then this wouldnt even be discussed.

With that said, I do think Ron hogs the ball, but that "hogging" he also helped the team get a few extra wins.

Its a two way street, and its not hard to tell some of you really dis-like Ron, which is fine. But I dont think its fair to jusge aplayer on one play or one game

Totally agree

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm with Suaveness 100% on this Ron discussion.

Ron shot 42% - JO shot 43% for the season, they both need to work on there shot selection. Why does Ron always get blamed for being a ball hog. Assists per game Ron 3.7 - JO 2.1
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

RA231

Al Harrington is bad to, 1.7 assists per game.

I just 15 minutes ago watched the 4th quarter of game 6 again.

Anyone who criticizes Ron Artest for going strong to the rim and trying to dunk the ball is crazy. That was the right play. As to the question whether it was blocked or not. Ben was there, but it seemd Ron was a little far from the basket to make that. But Ben caused the miss.

The long three that Ron took was with 15 seconds left and the Pacers down 4. Not a good shot. But I have seen Ron make those long shots before. Pacers did need a quick shot.

Someone mentioned that Rick was yelling at Ron to get the ball inside to J.O on that play. J.O was 22 feet from the basket trying to set a pick for Reggie.

[edit=24=1090035252][/edit]

That's not the play Rick was yelling to get the ball to JO. We were down by more than two, so everyone else was setting screens and running a play for Reggie.

IIRC, it was the dunk play and another missed jumper prior to that play when Rick was yelling to get the ball into JO.

VA, RA -

Check my history. We're talking about one sequence of a game that's a microcosm of the problem with Ron. Everything he brings physically and talent-wise he throws away with selfish play and a basketball IQ that's abysmal. There are numerous other examples; Ron *was* suspended for conduct detrimental to winning last season so at least once the current coaching staff has agreed with my assessment.

It doesn't say it over on the side anymore, but I've been living in Chicago for the last four seasons - so I've been paying attention to his ability to disrupt a team since long before he joined the Pacers. I'll acknowledge that he finally showed some signs of progress last season, but even with the reduction of flagrant fouls, he's still got a long way to go before I'm going to trust him.

Everything he brings physically and talent-wise he throws away with selfish play and a basketball IQ that's abysmal. There are numerous other examples; Ron *was* suspended for conduct detrimental to winning last season so at least once the current coaching staff has agreed with my assessment.

Jay I don't know what you mean by *was* suspended. Maybe I have completely "spaced it" but he was not suspended. He did not start the second half of the Nets game, but the next game was a home game with the Grizzlies and he was not suspended for that game.

I completely disagree that Ron's baskketball IQ is "abysmal" In fact I would go so far as to say his basketball IQ is above average. It certainly is not a detriment

He was benched for the second half of the Nets game..
    -----------------
    "Ron Artest did not play in the second half for conduct detrimental to winning," Carlisle said. "Part of it occurred on the court, part of it occurred at halftime.

"As a coach, there's times where you've got to make a stand and there's times when the soul of the team is more important than one guy's particular agenda," Carlisle said.

"I've lived here too long, I know how these people in this state and this city feel about this game, and to watch one guy ... compromise what the game's all about is gut-wrenching and unacceptable," he said. "I will not accept it."
    --------------

Then he didn't start the next game because he missed a shootaround with one of his infamous "maladies"....
    ------------
    The flaky forward missed Monday's shootaround, saying he overslept. Artest met with Pacers executives Larry Bird and Donnie Walsh before claiming he had a sore back.
    ------------------

[edit=19=1090039151][/edit]
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

"benched" instead of "suspended". My bad.

Everything he brings physically and talent-wise he throws away with selfish play and a basketball IQ that's abysmal. There are numerous other examples; Ron *was* suspended for conduct detrimental to winning last season so at least once the current coaching staff has agreed with my assessment.

Jay I don't know what you mean by *was* suspended. Maybe I have completely "spaced it" but he was not suspended. He did not start the second half of the Nets game, but the next game was a home game with the Grizzlies and he was not suspended for that game.

I completely disagree that Ron's baskketball IQ is "abysmal" In fact I would go so far as to say his basketball IQ is above average. It certainly is not a detriment
    I'm not trying to be an @$$, but you just watched the fourth quarter of a game in which he took an ill-advised flagrant foul that cost us the lead, tried to dunk on the best shotblockers in the game today, and fired up a forty-footer while one of the best clutch players of this generation was open coming off a screen.

I know the flagrant was a questionable call by the official, but if he doesn't retaliate, Rip doesn't get a chance to exaggerate and we may never have lost the lead.

I'm laughing to myself because you and I both know that you wouldn't put up with that from any other player.

If we could just get his basketball-IQ up to "bad"; I might get off his case.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop

Ron shot 42% - JO shot 43% for the season, they both need to work on there shot selection. Why does Ron always get blamed for being a ball hog. Assists per game Ron 3.7 - JO 2.1
    Jermaine is our STAR and our best offensive player. If the offense is running right he's touching the ball on 1/2 our posessions. Artest is a COMLEMENTARY player the likes to shoot as much as our star. And usually from further away.
    How many 3's did Jermaine attempt this year?
    Artest?

agreed

RA231

Quote Originally Posted by Freddies

Jermaine is our STAR and our best offensive player. If the offense is running right he's touching the ball on 1/2 our posessions. Artest is a COMLEMENTARY player the likes to shoot as much as our star. And usually from further away.
    Artest?
    Ok I'm not gettin what ur sayin. Especially that last part.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Freddies

Artest?
    I know JO is our star and should touch the ball most everytime down the floor, but he should be shooting better than 1 percent point better than Ron who does shoot 3's. COMLEMENTARY player my @ss, Ron was a All Star and 3rd team all NBA, a team can have more than one go to guy!

So it's OK for JO to shoot a low percentage and not OK for Ron to? JO only averaged 1.8 more points per game than Ron did while only shooting 1.3% better.

All I was saying is they both need to work on there shot selection and maybe both of there FG%'s will go up.

Sorry for the rant

"Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"