Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55

Thread: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

  1. #1
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,051

    Default IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

    http://www.indystar.com/articles/0/162902-7970-179.html

    Jackson fine with the pine
    By Mark Montieth
    mark.montieth@indystar.com
    July 16, 2004


    The debate could rage forever about whether Stephen Jackson is a better player than Al Harrington.

    The Indiana Pacers, however, like what they got from the trade they made official Thursday because of the impact Jackson can have on their chemistry -- on and off the court.

    Jackson, 26, signed a six-year contract worth about $38 million with Atlanta as a prelude to the trade for Harrington, whose contract calls for $13.3 million over the next two seasons.

    The two conducted simultaneous news conferences, Harrington at Philips Arena in Atlanta and Jackson at Conseco Fieldhouse. The trade has the potential to improve both teams and create better opportunities for both players.

    Harrington was a combination small forward/power forward, an overcrowded position for the Pacers. Jackson is a combination shooting guard/small forward who addresses their need for perimeter shooting and defense.

    Harrington was a six-year reserve who wanted to start and asked for a trade. Jackson is a two-year starter who is willing to come off the bench and wanted to join a winner.

    Harrington struggled in the postseason, with the exception of this year's first-round series against Boston. Jackson gained a reputation as a clutch shooter as a starter on San Antonio's championship team two years ago.

    Harrington was a first-round pick who made the leap from high school. Jackson was a second-round pick who had to pass through foreign countries and minor leagues, enduring cuts and injuries along the way, to make it to the NBA.

    "When you hear him talk, he doesn't say anything about minutes or points," Pacers president Larry Bird said Thursday. "He's always talking about winning."

    Jackson, who averaged a career-high 18.1 points for the Hawks last season, will be the only player on next season's roster to own a championship ring, barring another transaction. He not only brings size, energy and athleticism to the backcourt, but also a welcomed apathy toward starting. He reiterated Thursday his willingness to back up Reggie Miller, who is due back for his 18th NBA season.

    "Yes," he said emphatically. "My family's secure and I have a ring and I have a chance to win another one. That's what it's about. It's not about starting all the time. When your team wins, you win. When your team gets recognition, you get recognition. One person can't win a game."

    Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said he hasn't determined who will start.

    "That situation will evolve and we'll figure that out as we go along," he said. "But it's great to know that Steve didn't come in here with any conditions. He didn't make any demands.

    "The No. 1 thing you'll hear us talking about this year is that it's not about minutes, it's about trying to win."

    Jackson also brings Harrington-like charisma, which he put on display frequently during his news conference.

    How badly does he want to win another championship?

    "Just say I'm from Somalia and I need food," he said.

    What's his best position, shooting guard or small forward?

    "Both. It's that simple."

    What does he know about Indiana?

    " 'Hoosiers,' the movie. That's it. I've studied Jimmy's (Chitwood) jump shot and tried to make it mine. All I know is Larry Bird and 'Hoosiers,' that's it."

    How will he handle losing?

    "I'm going to be the jerk on the team if we're losing. Honestly. I'm going to be a problem in the locker room, everything. But I know this is a winning organization and I want to be a part of it."

    Nothing Jackson said surprised Carlisle. He got a taste of Jackson's boyish enthusiasm before the news conference.

    "He was just chest-bumping me in the hall," Carlisle said.

    Jackson said he will move to Indianapolis in a couple of weeks. Having played for so many teams since leaving high school eight years ago, he has learned to travel lightly. Although he joined the NBA four seasons ago in New Jersey, his list of moveable possessions remains small: two TVs, two cars, a bed and a couch.

    "Everything else I can throw in a bag," he said.

    After waiting so long to achieve security in the NBA, he said he believes it was meant to be for him to wind up with the Pacers.

    "The plan was for me to come here, learn from Reggie and help this team win a championship," Jackson said. "That's what I'm going to do."

  2. #2
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,051

    Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

    Jackson has a refreshing attitude, and I like his closing remarks where he says, "The plan was for me to come here, learn from Reggie and help this team win a championship," Jackson said. "That's what I'm going to do."

    It appears Jackson looked around and decided the best place for him in the NBA was the Pacers. One, they needed a replacement for Reggie. Two, he knew Reggie was soon to retire and he could learn from him and then take his place. Three, the Pacer's are a young team at the top. Four, he really likes Mike Brown.

    I think I'm going to like him! He seems to have an engaging personality like Harrington, and he just wants to win.

  3. #3

    Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

    I like Stephen Jackson's game and attitude.

    The fact he had to pay his dues is a big plus.

    Stephen is hopefully the kind of pro who continues to work on his game and gets better and better each year.

  4. #4
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,051

    Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

    I don't want much from him, just to fill Reggie's shoes.

  5. #5
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,945

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

    :devilshock: Fill Reggie's shoes :devilshock:
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  6. #6
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,051

    Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    :devilshock: Fill Reggie's shoes :devilshock:
    I thought that would get a reaction!

  7. #7
    Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,889
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

    I don't have a Doubt in my Mind that we Signed SJ for the Future to replace Reggie once he retires and this is great he is willing to learn.

  8. #8
    Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,097

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

    I'm liking this guy more and more all of the time. He has a great attitude.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

  9. #9
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,852

    Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

    How will he handle losing?

    "I'm going to be the jerk on the team if we're losing. Honestly. I'm going to be a problem in the locker room, everything. But I know this is a winning organization and I want to be a part of it."
    So if they lose a game in the Garden next season, there's going to be a race to the nearest HD camera......

    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  10. #10
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How will he handle losing?

    "I'm going to be the jerk on the team if we're losing. Honestly. I'm going to be a problem in the locker room, everything. But I know this is a winning organization and I want to be a part of it."
    So if they lose a game in the Garden next season, there's going to be a race to the nearest HD camera......
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  11. #11
    Member Harddrive7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,176

    Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

    "It's not about starting all the time. When your team wins, you win. When your team gets recognition, you get recognition. One person can't win a game."


    I think this is the best, most refreshing quote. I have never seen anyone with such a team attitude. I know a lot of players come in and try to win the fans over. For some reason though I really think Sjax is sincere.

    Maybe Ron will learn something from him.


  12. #12
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,985

    Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

    Quote Originally Posted by Harddrive7
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "It's not about starting all the time. When your team wins, you win. When your team gets recognition, you get recognition. One person can't win a game."


    I think this is the best, most refreshing quote. I have never seen anyone with such a team attitude. I know a lot of players come in and try to win the fans over. For some reason though I really think Sjax is sincere.

    Maybe Ron will learn something from him.
    I don't understand your point about Ron


  13. #13
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,051

    Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I don't understand your point about Ron
    I agree, Ron wants to win as bad as anyone. He sometimes trys to do much, but it's only when the team is losing. In other words if no one is doing anything he's not afraid to try.

  14. #14

    Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

    I think Ron wants to win more as much as anyone, and his drive to be the best makes him play as good as he does. He is one of the few people in this league who puts 110% out there every play. It is so much fun to watch.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  15. #15
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

    Buck, I think what Ron needs to pay attention to is "One person can't win a game"

  16. #16

    Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Buck, I think what Ron needs to pay attention to is "One person can't win a game"
    This may be totally off topic, but 0 people can't win a game either. And in game 6, no one stepped up to try and win it. So Ron took it upon himself to try.

    Sorry for ranting.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  17. #17
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

    Agreed. And I understood HD7's point.

    Basketball is a team game. Ron needs to remember that fact when his well-documented "desire to win" leads to a lack of trust in his teammates and/ or selfish play.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  18. #18
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Buck, I think what Ron needs to pay attention to is "One person can't win a game"
    This may be totally off topic, but 0 people can't win a game either. And in game 6, no one stepped up to try and win it. So Ron took it upon himself to try.

    Sorry for ranting.
    How do you know "no one" stepped up and tried to win it?

    Ron wouldn't share the ball.

    JO was making a valient effort despite a badly injured knee.

    Reggie was wide open off a double-screen when Ron fired up that forty footer. Everybody else was committed to the game plan and thier teammates.

    That was AJ's best game in months.

    Just because Ron hogged the ball, destroyed the offense, and committed a flagrant foul that put us behind for the first time all night - all in the name of trying to win the game - doesn't mean that his teammates weren't trying. In fact, I think his teammates were trying desparately to win the team game while Ron was goofing around, trying to make himself the individual hero.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  19. #19

    Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How do you know "no one" stepped up and tried to win it?

    Ron wouldn't share the ball.

    JO was making a valient effort despite a badly injured knee.

    Reggie was wide open off a double-screen when Ron fired up that forty footer. Everybody else was committed to the game plan and thier teammates.

    That was AJ's best game in months.

    Just because Ron hogged the ball, destroyed the offense, and committed a flagrant foul that put us behind for the first time all night - all in the name of trying to win the game - doesn't mean that his teammates weren't trying. In fact, I think his teammates were trying desparately to win the team game while Ron was goofing around, trying to make himself the individual hero.
    It was not possible for JO to step up because he was injured. And I really don't think I want AJ to be our main offense guy to step up to win the critical game. He is there to run the offense and hit the occasional shot, not the bigger shots.

    I think you are being too critical of Ron in that situation. Ron did not hog the ball. He was merely trying to get some points when no one else seemed willing to score. And if someone wanted the ball, I'm sure Ron would be willing to give it up. Calling Ron a goof and saying that he wants to be an individual hero is absurd. He wanted to win the game badly, and no one else was stepping up and asking for teh ball. Ron is not the type of player to be concerned about individual glory, rather to win the game. And that flagrant foul was questionable. Rip did a fantastic job faking that hit, and he even said so afterwards. Now, that 3 he took was dumb, i will admit that. But other than that, he tried his best to win, and that is all I want from a player.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  20. #20

    Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

    Sauve, I don't think anyone's real role is to take the bigger shots, except maybe Reggie. If the opportunity arises, anyone on the team should take it, even AJ.

  21. #21

    Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

    Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sauve, I don't think anyone's real role is to take the bigger shots, except maybe Reggie. If the opportunity arises, anyone on the team should take it, even AJ.
    But who was stepping up to take those shots? I didn't see anyone out there calling for the ball, and telling Ron to give it up. Someone had to shoot the ball, and it ends up being Ron. If he makes his shots, he is considered a hero. If he misses, he should be traded and blamed for the loss

    And its SUAVE Geez, get it right!
    [edit=80=1089995229][/edit]
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  22. #22
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

    MSA, I'd normally like your avatar, but I thought the Bus should've retired two seasons ago. He's holding the Steelers back.

    Suaveness, I can't believe you don't get tired of making the same old excuses. Surely you realize at some subconscious level that Ron's *individual* effort to take the game over is exactly the reason the *team* lost. Was the one-on-five drive to try to dunk on Ben Wallace in the last two minutes dumb, too, or just the forty-footer?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  23. #23

    Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sauve, I don't think anyone's real role is to take the bigger shots, except maybe Reggie. If the opportunity arises, anyone on the team should take it, even AJ.
    But who was stepping up to take those shots? I didn't see anyone out there calling for the ball, and telling Ron to give it up. Someone had to shoot the ball, and it ends up being Ron. If he makes his shots, he is considered a hero. If he misses, he should be traded and blamed for the loss

    And its SUAVE Geez, get it right!
    I wasn't referring specifically to that game. Your comments sounded as though AJ shouldn't take big shots because he's not "supposed to." My comments were just a general rule of thumb type of thing. Okay, Sauve?

    edit: Jay, that seems to be the problem people have with all my favorite players.
    Mark Jackson--too old/has been
    Reggie Miller--holding team back/has been
    Jerome Bettis--holding team back/has been
    Rickey Henderson--too old/has been

    [edit=53=1089995637][/edit]

  24. #24
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sauve, I don't think anyone's real role is to take the bigger shots, except maybe Reggie. If the opportunity arises, anyone on the team should take it, even AJ.
    But who was stepping up to take those shots? I didn't see anyone out there calling for the ball, and telling Ron to give it up. Someone had to shoot the ball, and it ends up being Ron. If he makes his shots, he is considered a hero. If he misses, he should be traded and blamed for the loss

    And its SUAVE Geez, get it right!
    Quit telling lies.

    Reggie's teammates were setting screens for him. He was wide open at one of his favorite spots. Ron shot the forty-footer because he wasn't even looking for his teammates.

    JO was struggling, no doubt. Because of his injury, we probably wouldn't have won any way. But with Rick on the sideline screaming to get the ball to JO, and JO doing everything he could to establish position, you just don't know if your first option is going to be effective down the stretch if your first option never touches the ball.

    AJ can't really run the offense but he certainly hit a lot of big shots for us last season.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  25. #25
    RA231
    Guest

    Default Re: IndyStar-Jackson fine with the pine

    I'll be the only one to agree with you SAUVE.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •