Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NBA aims to crush union in labor battle

Default Re: NBA aims to crush union in labor battle

Does anyone think a hard cap would in effect benefit the big market teams more? If the max contract a superstar can get is 8mil say, then sponsorship is going to be a much larger proportion of a players income. If all the stars then go to the markets where they can pull in the best sponsorship dollars, this might be counterproductive in terms of balancing the league.

Quote Originally Posted by skyfire View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone think a hard cap would in effect benefit the big market teams more? If the max contract a superstar can get is 8mil say, then sponsorship is going to be a much larger proportion of a players income. If all the stars then go to the markets where they can pull in the best sponsorship dollars, this might be counterproductive in terms of balancing the league.
    I think superstar players are going to get national exposure no matter what team they play on. See Peyton Manning for an example of a player doing well in sponsor income yet playing for a smaller market team.

I'm not sure what it says about the NBA that recent ads feature Larry Bird and Charles Barkley.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute

(Perhaps the biggest shocker: The owners' proposal includes a provision that would require any pre-existing deals to be revised to conform to the new deal's limits.)

i'd like to see how the owners think they can go around revising already signed contracts.
    If the players agree to have the contracts revised then it can happen. They can do anything. Negotiation is all about pushing as hard as you can for as long as you can.

This is the sort of thing the owners could use to drive a wedge into the players' solidarity.

Last edited by Putnam; 02-08-2010 at 08:15 AM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post

i'd like to see how the owners think they can go around revising already signed contracts.
    Similar to the way the Clinton administration instituted a retroactive tax increase that even raised the taxes owed by people who had died between January and June of that year.

[QUOTE=Bball;956684]

I'm sure of two things with regard to that.

Those guys know more about the game of basketball than any current players.

If you put that dream team back together, and took them back to the ages they were when they were playing, they would trounce any all-star team you could put together from today's players. It wouldn't even be close.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Is that something the players union could even agree to? Wouldn't that have to be a decision made by each individual contract holder?

I could see the players' union agreeing to stand aside and allow owners and players to restructure pre-existing contract and accept whatever was agreed to without complaining (like they would complain if a player accepted a buyout for some crazy cheap number). And when I say "I could see" I only mean I can understand how that situation would be an option. Not, that I could see them actually making that concession easily.

..And how many players would agree to accept a new deal with lesser terms than their existing deal?
    I think you're making this more complicated than it is. I think they're saying something along the lines of .... every preexisting contract is lessened by 20%. Or whatever number they're looking for.

Also, when you get into the NBA you've agreed to be represented by the players union, anything they agree upon I'm quite sure can trump any contract between team and player.

-- Steve --