Thread: what do we really need now??

bapspacers4life

Default what do we really need now??

keep roster or make trade ?? sign fa?? keep brewer and start team pac rite away??

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: what do we really need now??

I'd say maybe one more trade.But that trade better not include Ronnie.Maybe trade for Divac.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Keep roster unless it's an outstanding trade (and I don't mean Dampier).

Trade Pollard for Divac. Give Divac a two year contract, by then Harrison will be hitting his stride.

Quote Originally Posted by Will
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Trade Pollard for Divac. Give Divac a two year contract, by then Harrison will be hitting his stride.
    Yeah - like JB has!

The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

75Ranger

To be honest with you I was hoping in the offseason to uprgrade the two guard position which we did, add another big man with some bulk on him and upgrade the backup pg spot which I don't think we did.

I like backup pgs who are quick and get after you on the defensive end and who are a little more offensive minded. AJ while decent defensively and can hit an open shot is very limited when hes on the court.

I use to love the Jackson/Best combo it was a perfect mix in my oppinon. They both covered up each others weaknesses. I was hoping we could do the same thing for Tinsely in getting somebody a little quicker, better defender and a little more agressive offensively.

I think we are fine.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I'd think any trade will have to involve moving Pollard or Cro for a better C.

It's hard to imagine who might want to part with an even semi-decent C if it involved taking on a bad contract.

So...

I'm getting used to the idea that the team that we have is the team that we are going to have in November. I'm OK with that, actually.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think we're set for another run at 55-60 wins and the second round of the playoffs or perhaps the ECFs.

Did everyone forget that we now play in the same division as the Champs? And the team that took us to six games just picked up the most dominant player (when healthy) in the game.

We've still got some upgrading to do. We need to get the best center avaiable, so if there's a better center available than Dampier (I'm not suggesting he's the second-best center, just that nobody better is available) then we just need to pay the cost.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

75R, I know it's wishful thinking, but Rashad sounds like the type of PG you're wanting.

Jay, don't forget that one person cannot win a game, including Shaq. It was discussed in the other thread that all the Pistons had to do was shut down the other players and Shaq didn't become as effective. Plus, we have Mike Brown, who I think sort of knows how we should defend Shaquille.

As for the roster, I hope we just sign a low-cost big man and then we're set.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What Jay said is 100% accurate.

I expect the Piston's and Pacers and MAYBE the Heat to run rampant thru the east during the regular season. We will get killed in the PO's. Probably by Detroit in the 2nd round.

Miami will be weak unless Wade decides he's going to do what Kobe wouldn't and that is to dump it in to the big fella. If he does that, Miami can do just about whatever they want to with the rest of the team.

If we do not land a big man, we are destined to be a decent regular season team that NEVER accomplishes anything in the Post-season.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Still, btown, if the Pacers contain the others, Shaq becomes less effective. I know they have Wade and Jones. It's still early in the off-season, we'll see who else they bring in.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not looking forward to seeing that CRAZY Miami crowd/arena when they have Shaq in the house. It was loud before but this is going to be unreal>
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    Because we did an EXCELLENT job "containing" Wade last year. As a rookie. Being in the playoffs for the first time. And having no low post presence to feed off of whatsoever. It's easy to talk about containing all those guys. Impossible for us to actually do with our current roster.
    We didn't do an excellent job of containing Wade in the playoffs. Well, the way that team was set up, btown, they didn't need a low post presence. Their gameplan/system is going to change this upcoming season. Impossible? Artest & Jones can take care of the two guards, although it's not likely coach would do that for me.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Well IF we make a move ths off-season and its not at Center, I wouldn't be too surprised to see Ron traded to SacTown for Stojakovic given some of the comments after the season ended for them. I think they would want a little more from us though.

I don't like the idea of trading Ron at all though.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

No, a change of gameplan won't be bad for them, but if teams like the Pistons and the Pacers can "contain" or "slow down" those two fellows, then it's more likely to beat the Heat. I cannot think of too many teams who can do that to the Heat. I think the Pacers can.

I don't think we need anything!

Currently we have 13/15 positions filled (excluding brewer)...

I don't want to cut anyone that we have now and I am certain we will want to sign a few from our Summer team.
    [edit=392=1089997522][/edit]
    Here, everyone have a : on me

75Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    75R, I know it's wishful thinking, but Rashad sounds like the type of PG you're wanting.

Jay, don't forget that one person cannot win a game, including Shaq. It was discussed in the other thread that all the Pistons had to do was shut down the other players and Shaq didn't become as effective. Plus, we have Mike Brown, who I think sort of knows how we should defend Shaquille.

As for the roster, I hope we just sign a low-cost big man and then we're set.
    You may be right but that will come in time. If he even makes the team I don't him getting much playing time. Hes a project that has some potential. I hope we do keep him over Brewer though.

Jay you're good.

Don't forget though, maybe JB will revolutionize the center position!
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I think we're done, we've got what we need to win a title, now, because Jackson will add 10ppg to our playoff games over no-show Harrington. We can create mismatches with several different players, and we can exploit them. For instance, Jackson should do a better job of defending Rip Hamilton, but how do you think Rip will do against the 6'8" Stephen Jackson in the post? It will be hard on the Pistons if we can almost guarantee foul trouble for Rip every time we play them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    I think we're done, we've got what we need to win a title, now, because Jackson will add 10ppg to our playoff games over no-show Harrington. We can create mismatches with several different players, and we can exploit them. For instance, Jackson should do a better job of defending Rip Hamilton, but how do you think Rip will do against the 6'8" Stephen Jackson in the post? It will be hard on the Pistons if we can almost guarantee foul trouble for Rip every time we play them.
    And Stephen is good at getting steals. He ranked 6th in the NBA in SPG & 7th in total steals.