View Poll Results: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?(championship)

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

5 11.90%
  • no

37 88.10%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

Default Re: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Putting words in people's mouths. Building around is not the same as saying he's a superstar on the level of Melo, Wade, Lebron, etc. It's no different than saying you want to build around Amare, Rose, Roy, Durant, Jefferson, Devin Harrs, etc. Good players, but none of them has proven that they carry a whole team by themselves.
    Danny Granger isn't on the same level as Amare, Rose, Roy, and Durant.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ajbry For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    Not even close. And Durant isn't on that same level either. He's above it.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Agree, but I think he was arguably above them all last year. This year Danny's really slacked off.

I think Danny could rise up again, but I don't know if he can reach Durant level, probably not. Durant is continuing to climb and now I think only Kobe and LeBron are better then him.

Danny Granger Stats this year and last:

Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG

08-09 IND 67 66 36.2 0.447 0.404 0.878 0.7 4.4 5.1 2.7 1.0 1.4 2.46 3.09 25.8

09-10 IND 34 34 36.2 0.406 0.343 0.846 0.9 4.8 5.6 2.8 1.5 1.0 2.65 3.03 22.3

Stats via NBA.com

IMO Danny can't take us to the promise land by himself. I think he would be much better playing along side another All-Star type, either a PF or PG. Last year I did think maybe he could be that guy, last year he played much better and looked to be headed even higher. The team in general played better. DG showed the ability to get to the line a lot more. I have to look at the numbers to see the difference. This year, as we all know he is taking too many threes and relying on his shot more than driving the ball. Though lately he has shown a bit more interior scoring.

IMO, some of the over shooting from three had to do with his foot and I think this has effected his outside shot. But when you think about it more, it shouldn't matter. He should recognize that he needs to move closer to the basket and force his defender to play defense. When he is out there chucking threes, it's giving the defense a free pass almost, especially if he misses. Last year he seemed to recognize this and put more pressure on the defense. The great ones find the best shots and know when to go to the rim when their shot isn't falling. They know how to be vocal and lead their team. Danny is a quiet type, more reserved. Maybe he just isn't the guy to lead us, but I am not going to dismiss him as a leader, we aren't in the locker room.

But again the question is can he lead us to the promise land? And I think the answer is not by himself. I don't think he can be compared with Durant, he is on another level in terms of scoring, the most natural scorer in the league. But DG can help lead us there playing along side another player, preferably a PF who score and defend the paint, draw double teams and free up some space for DG to roam. All and all I think Danny is doing exactly what he should be doing, he has improved every year except this one. He has been the reason we are in a lot of the games we win, but obviously he can't do it by himself. We need another star!
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

6. The Following User Says Thank You to odeez For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Im talking about him being the main guy of the team, the one who takes the last shot and drives the team night in and night out, can he do that? is he overrated? are we expecting to much of him?
    Right now Danny is not cutting it !

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There's not a hope in hell unless we get a lot of help in here. Then it wouldn't really be him doing it, would it?
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's a nonsensical question. Take away Danny and give us MJ in his prime, with this current Pacers team. I'm not sure he could get us past Orlando, Boston, or LA. This team is just no good.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Not even close. And Durant isn't on that same level either. He's above it.
    Yep. Granger < Rose < Amare < Roy << Durant

Durant is on an entirely different level than those guys...who are all really pretty close. I would not argue if people swapped around the 4 on the left a bit...

Banned
    Mood

He's good enough to be the best player on a championship team, but it would take one hell of a supporting cast with great chemistry to get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    He's good enough to be the best player on a championship team, but it would take one hell of a supporting cast with great chemistry to get it done.
    It would have to be a perfect situation where the league had a down period. For example, Kobe and the Lakers would have to not exist in their present form....because several of their players are better than Danny....or very close to being that good.

I think Danny is more fit as 2nd option in this team than first option.
    Danny is different from king james and melo type. He has not only lack of penetration skill ,but also post and face up. We should try to find someone who will lead this team as a 1st option.
    Danny should try to do his best following pippen's role in bulls system.
    Last edited by croxia; 02-08-2010 at 04:01 AM.

Wow...the confidence in this team is soooo overwhelming. How about we jettisioned the whole team, and start fresh?

You're right. He's better than Rose, Amare, and Roy when he wants to be. This year's Granger is a complete stranger to me. As for Durant, he's getting hitting a new stride this year.

If we get a team with 3 or 4 guys as good as Danny, then sure, but he won't be leading us LeBron-style to the Finals.

You're right. He's better than Rose, Amare, and Roy when he wants to be. This year's Granger is a complete stranger to me. As for Durant, he's getting hitting a new stride this year.
    Granger isn't as good as any of those guys, not even when he "wants" to be.

Amare is a multiple time all-star. He's a guy who once averaged 30 and 11 IN THE PLAYOFFS.... against teams like the Mavs and Spurs. Brandon Roy is now a two time all-star in his 4th year in the league and he is going to drag a completely injury riddled Blazer team to the playoffs by sheer force of will. Derrick Rose is an all-star in his second season at 21 years of age while playing a position that is harder to fill than the one Granger plays.

Granger is a very good player, but prior to this year, he's just had one pretty good year and one all-star year. This year, he's been hurt, he has poor teammates and opposing teams recognize that he's pretty good and they're going at him harder than before. He's having a tough time because of stuff like that. It's not because he doesn't "want" to be good.

What he's facing this season is what guys like Carmelo and Paul Pierce have faced season after season and shows you how hard it is to be as good as they are for how long as they have. Plenty of guys have had one or two really good years. It's the guys who have produced year after year through all the burdens, expectations and physical demands of an 82 game season that are the true stars of the league. Granger has yet to reach that level.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Granger isn't as good as any of those guys, not even when he "wants" to be.

Amare is a multiple time all-star. He's a guy who once averaged 30 and 11 IN THE PLAYOFFS.... against teams like the Mavs and Spurs. Brandon Roy is now a two time all-star in his 4th year in the league and he is going to drag a completely injury riddled Blazer team to the playoffs by sheer force of will. Derrick Rose is an all-star in his second season at 21 years of age while playing a position that is harder to fill than the one Granger plays.

Granger is a very good player, but prior to this year, he's just had one pretty good year and one all-star year. This year, he's been hurt, he has poor teammates and opposing teams recognize that he's pretty good and they're going at him harder than before. He's having a tough time because of stuff like that. It's not because he doesn't "want" to be good.

What he's facing this season is what guys like Carmelo and Paul Pierce have faced season after season and shows you how hard it is to be as good as they are for how long as they have. Plenty of guys have had one or two really good years. It's the guys who have produced year after year through all the burdens, expectations and physical demands of an 82 game season that are the true stars of the league. Granger has yet to reach that level.
    Okay...you're right. Let's get rid of Granger in his 5th season, because he's been to the all-star once, and can't take a descent team to the playoffs under bad coaching. You stick with your opinion that's not as good as those "other guys", and I'll stick with my opinion he's better.

Okay...you're right. Let's get rid of Granger in his 5th season, because he's been to the all-star once, and can't take a descent team to the playoffs under bad coaching. You stick with your opinion that's not as good as those "other guys", and I'll stick with my opinion he's better.
    When did I say to get rid of Granger in my post? I said those other players were better, and they have the credentials and accomplishments to prove it.

JOB's bad coaching have gotten to the playoffs before, even with teams that weren't all that talented. Yes, it has happened before. It really has. It was in the NBA. It's in the official records. It's not forged. No joke. Recordwise, he's the second best coach the 76ers have had since the Barkley era ended in Philly, which was quite awhile ago.

When did I say to get rid of Granger in my post? I said those other players were better, and they have the credentials and accomplishments to prove it.

JOB's bad coaching have gotten to the playoffs before, even with teams that weren't all that talented. Yes, it has happened before. Recordwise, he's the second best coach the 76ers have had since the Barkley era ended in Philly, which was quite awhile ago.
    2nd best coach in Philly...worst coach for the past 20 years in Indy. We need JOB to coach NOW.

2nd best coach in Philly...worst coach for the past 20 years in Indy. We need JOB to coach NOW.
    This is also the worst roster Indy has had in the past 20 years, so the record right now it no surprise. Heck if JOB really is doing that poor a job, consider it a blessing because building around 36 win seasons and late lottery picks are a low percentage play.

A reminder for you that Bird's entire plan revolves around changing the players, not the coach. If he honestly thought it'd be worthwhile to make the owners spend some more money on a coach for (the possibility of) a few more meaningless wins, he'd have canned JOB by now.

But he sees the bigger picture and the bigger problem of a talent poor roster, which is why he's more concerned with getting new players rather than making what amounts to a meaningless coaching change at this time.

I think the better and more direct question is can Danny be the best player on a championship team?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I think the better and more direct question is can Danny be the best player on a championship team?
    If he's head and shoulders better than our 2nd best? No. If it's a team with 3-4 guys of relatively equal quality, and Danny is one of them? Yes.

A Pacers championship is on the horizon!

Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited by Putnam; 02-08-2010 at 11:28 AM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    If he's head and shoulders better than our 2nd best? No. If it's a team with 3-4 guys of relatively equal quality, and Danny is one of them? Yes.
    Yeah, I agree if it is like a Pistons team from '04 then yes. If it is like the Cavs from this season and Danny is Lebron - no

This is also the worst roster Indy has had in the past 20 years, so the record right now it no surprise. Heck if JOB really is doing that poor a job, consider it a blessing because building around 36 win seasons and late lottery picks are a low percentage play.

A reminder for you that Bird's entire plan revolves around changing the players, not the coach. If he honestly thought it'd be worthwhile to make the owners spend some more money on a coach for (the possibility of) a few more meaningless wins, he'd have canned JOB by now.

But he sees the bigger picture and the bigger problem of a talent poor roster, which is why he's more concerned with getting new players rather than making what amounts to a meaningless coaching change at this time.
    Then we'll have to agree to disagree. I think this is one of the better rosters in the past 20 years, and I STRONGLY believe that the coach is not playing to the strengths of the team. This team is good enough to get into the playoffs (especially in the weak eastern conference), and learn from the experience to get better for future seasons. We have good PGs in Price and TJ Ford (he's just in the wrong system), solid defensive/scoring SGs in Rush and D. Jones, a solid "all-star" in Granger w/Dunleavy filling out the 6th man role, maybe Tyler (he's been injuried most of this season, so I'm reserving judgement) backed up by Jones/McRoberts, and Roy (if he improves next season as much as he did this season, then he WILL be force in the paint). IMHO, the only thing that this team is really missing is a solid backup C, scrappy PF, and/or pass-first PG. Historically, Indiana has been a good team due to depth, not a single man taking over the game night in and night out. Indiana can continue that tradition with the current roster and just adding 1-2 players.

As for the coaching change, Rick should have never been fired in the first place. Rick took a bunch of nobodies to playoffs the year of the brawl.
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 02-08-2010 at 12:35 PM.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    What I said earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    He'd easily be the worst best player on a championship team in history. Not happening.

That includes the '04 Pistons which had a far superior Chauncey Billups and likely 1 or 2 other players who were better as well.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson