View Poll Results: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?(championship)

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    5 11.90%
  • no

    37 88.10%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 74

Thread: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

    I been asking this to myself for a long time and I want to see you guys opinions about this, Could Danny Granger be the guy who take this team to a championship, is he wired to be a leader? I been saying that Danny is at best the second best player in a championship, he could be the Pippen to a Jordan, were can we get a "Batman"? draft? trade? how?

  2. #2
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,030

    Default Re: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

    By himself, no. When paired with another player of equal talent plus a top-notch surrounding cast, maybe.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,991

    Default Re: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

    This team, right now, nope. But this team in a few years, yes.

  5. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This team, right now, nope. But this team in a few years, yes.
    Im talking about him being the main guy of the team, the one who takes the last shot and drives the team night in and night out, can he do that? is he overrated? are we expecting to much of him?

  6. #5
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,716

    Default Re: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im talking about him being the main guy of the team, the one who takes the last shot and drives the team night in and night out, can he do that? is he overrated? are we expecting to much of him?
    He did pretty well last year at taking the last shot.

    Last night I thought he didn't look particularly great, but he had 25 points. He's the best scorer in Pacer history, and (except for the recent infatuation with 3s) a pretty high-efficiency guy to boot. If Rush and Roy pan out, and we can get a good PF and PG, I can see us consistently making deep playoff runs. Other than that? We'll have to see.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  7. #6
    Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,427

    Default Re: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im talking about him being the main guy of the team, the one who takes the last shot and drives the team night in and night out, can he do that? is he overrated? are we expecting to much of him?
    I really like him (obviously), but he's a notch below Mello and DWade and maybe a couple notches below Kobe and Lebron. It will not happen.
    LeWade are going down.

  8. #7
    Member sportfireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,145
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

    Nope.........unless the promise land is a lottery pick.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

    Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

  9. #8
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,991

    Default Re: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im talking about him being the main guy of the team, the one who takes the last shot and drives the team night in and night out, can he do that? is he overrated? are we expecting to much of him?
    Last year he made the most winning shots in the whole NBA, SO YES!

  10. #9
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,520

    Default Re: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

    The team as currently constructed-no. Is this a rhetorical question? I don't think there's a lot of people here who see him on par with Jordan, Wade, Magic, Bird, etc.

    You can't oversimplify this though. Look at the casts that have also surrounded those great talents. Put Granger with the right group of players and he could contribute, potentially as a leading scorer who could hit some big shots. As Anthem points out, he's shown reasonable succes in that situation.

    So, no he'll never be a guy who can take a team on his back and win single handedly. But isn't that really a bit of a myth anyway? How many guys are there that have truly done that? Put one guy of same or better level next to him and some solid role players and he might be capable.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  11. #10
    Brilliant sunsun sunsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    China
    Age
    23
    Posts
    113

    Default Re: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

    i don't know, but i prefer to say yes if we changed our coach。

  12. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

    Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    So, no he'll never be a guy who can take a team on his back and win single handedly. But isn't that really a bit of a myth anyway? How many guys are there that have truly done that?
    Lebron did it with a crappy team three years ago and he might do it this year.


    Put one guy of same or better level next to him and some solid role players and he might be capable
    I agree with this, get a guy with equal talent and is possible.

  13. #12
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,520

    Default Re: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lebron did it with a crappy team three years ago and he might do it this year.
    Fair enough. Technically still hasn't won it though. I would expect that to change, of course.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  14. #13
    Member sportfireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,145
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

    I love Danny and his game......while he may have the talent to take us there, he IMO lacks the killer instinct, the drive (Jordan, Bird, Kobe, Wade, etc.....) to take us on his own.....with some other player just as good as he is.....then yes.


    Danny's killer instinct comes out when he gets angry....he's laid back most of the time. Laid back doesn't win championships unless your loaded with talent. He needs a killer instinct and you can't go and buy one of those, you're born with it.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

    Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

  15. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

    Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fair enough. Technically still hasn't won it though. I would expect that to change, of course.
    yeah I think that is going to change this year, just imagine switching Lebron to the Lakers and Kobe to cleveland, the Lakers could win five championships in a heartbeat

  16. #15
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,115

    Default Re: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

    I'll hold my vote until we get a new coach. He has the talent to do it, but I don't see him being the player who can single-handedly do it every night. Realistically, those type of players don't come along that often anyways. Mentally...he needs that killer instinct.

  17. #16
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,752

    Default Re: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

    I think the lack of a killer instinct is his main flaw. The great player want to punish everyone they come across. Tonight Lebron was jacking up 35fters just to show up the knicks.

  18. #17
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,126

    Default Re: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

    Championship? I'd be happy just making the playoffs (which Granger hasn't done since his rookie year). Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game.

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:


  20. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the lack of a killer instinct is his main flaw. The great player want to punish everyone they come across. Tonight Lebron was jacking up 35fters just to show up the knicks.
    my thing is that are we really hoping for him to be the player he is not?
    he is what he is, why are we expecting him to carry this franchise if he is not that kind of guy? like I said before to me he is more Like a Rashard Lewis than Lebron or Melo.

  21. #19
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,520

    Default Re: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    my thing is that are we really hoping for him to be the player he is not?
    he is what he is, why are we expecting him to carry this franchise if he is not that kind of guy? like I said before to me he is more Like a Rashard Lewis than Lebron or Melo.
    I don't know who you mean when you say we. You'd be hardpressed to find anyone here who considers him a Lebron or Melo-level player. I don't think the Pacers assess him that way either, but I may be wrong. I think they see him as being most effective with another top-flight player and strong role players.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  22. #20
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,752

    Default Re: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

    I'd say he is a top 5 Small forward, meaning he has all the skills needed. Just not there mentally.

  23. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

    Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know who you mean when you say we. You'd be hardpressed to find anyone here who considers him a Lebron or Melo-level player. I don't think the Pacers assess him that way either, but I may be wrong. I think they see him as being most effective with another top-flight player and strong role players.
    Im saying we because as you can see the pacers feel that he is their franchise player and should build around him. The we is also because we get mad when he does not have a 20 point game or when he is not taking over in the 4th quarter, that is the reason why I said we. And trust me there is more than one guy who think that he is the next coming.

  24. #22
    Member esabyrn333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    Age
    37
    Posts
    697

    Default Re: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

    Get enough talent around him and sure he can. no one can do it by themselves its a team sport.

    If we are going to win a championship we are going to have to do it the same way Detroit did it with a bunch of good guys that play together.

    Not a superstar with a cast of role players around him

  25. #23

    Default Re: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

    He isn't versatile enough. He's different than Reggie Miller, of course, but some similarities are there. Mainly the most similar point is that his best and only major asset is his shooting ability. Neither one can boast being above average at setting up teammates, rebounding or on defense. The only real difference is Danny is a better shot blocker and more athletic. Reggie had a flair for the dramatic. There are differences, but a lot of similarities in skill sets.

    Neither one was good enough all around to survive or thrive in this league by carrying a team. Reggie needed a cast of borderline All Stars around him. I would guess Danny will need the same, at the very least.

    -- Steve --

  26. #24
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,115

    Default Re: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im saying we because as you can see the pacers feel that he is their franchise player and should build around him. The we is also because we get mad when he does not have a 20 point game or when he is not taking over in the 4th quarter, that is the reason why I said we. And trust me there is more than one guy who think that he is the next coming.
    Putting words in people's mouths. Building around is not the same as saying he's a superstar on the level of Melo, Wade, Lebron, etc. It's no different than saying you want to build around Amare, Rose, Roy, Durant, Jefferson, Devin Harrs, etc. Good players, but none of them has proven that they carry a whole team by themselves.

  27. #25
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,204

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Could Danny take this team to the promise land?

    He'd easily be the worst best player on a championship team in history. Not happening.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

Similar Threads

  1. The PD NBA Draft - #10 Milwaukee
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-16-2009, 09:36 AM
  2. Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0
    By MyFavMartin in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-13-2008, 12:16 AM
  3. The PD NBA Draft - Selection #4 - Seattle
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 03:01 PM
  4. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 3
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 11:37 AM
  5. 4-16-2004
    By Ragnar in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-19-2004, 01:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •