Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clippers Eyeing Isiah Thomas

Default Clippers Eyeing Isiah Thomas

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap/
    Source: Clippers Eyeing Isiah Thomas

Feb 05, 2010 5:59 PM EST

Isiah Thomas has emerged as a candidate to run the Clippers, a source has told FOX Sports.
    The Clippers have reached out to Thomas to take over as coach, general manager and president, according to a source close to the situation.
    Mike Dunleavy was revealed of his coaching duties earlier this week, but he remains the general manager.
    Thomas, the former coach of the Pacers and Knicks, is currently coaching at Florida International University.
    ------------------

I find this really hard to believe!

Those poor Clipper fans!

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Clippers Eyeing Isiah Thomas

Nooooooooo!
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Banned

Is that from the "Onion"?
    No way anyone could possibly see anything in any work Isiah has ever done to think he deserves a chance to run an organization.
    only the clippers....................

Incredible!!
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is that from the "Onion"?
    No way anyone could possibly see anything in any work Isiah has ever done to think he deserves a chance to run an organization.
    only the clippers....................
    I'd trade O'Brien for Thomas any day of the week.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    I'd drive JOB to LA.........

Mood

I'm pretty sure when your choices are JOB and Zeke, you're in the 9th Circle of Basketball Hell...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Somewhere, Bill Simmons just had a stroke.

Seriously, if this is true, then we need to start calling him ASAP to see if we can rip him off on a few deals.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Somewhere, Bill Simmons just had a stroke.

Seriously, if this is true, then we need to start calling him ASAP to see if we can rip him off on a few deals.
    that is what I was saying, maybe we can get BD and Kaman for cheap

Heres the source RealGM got this from.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/L...-Thomas-020510

Jeff Goodman
    Jeff Goodman is a senior college basketball writer for FOXSports.com.

According to a source close to the situation, the Clippers have reached out to Thomas -- who coached the Indiana Pacers and also the New York Knicks -- to take over coaching, general manager and president duties.

He would replace Mike Dunleavy, who was relieved of his coaching duties earlier this week but remains the general manager.

Thomas, 49, was hired this past April as the head coach at Florida International down in Miami.

He took over a downtrodden program that has endured nine consecutive losing seasons. FIU is 7-18 this season, but Thomas and his staff will add a talented recruiting class next fall that includes a Top 50 player.

Thomas was previously the owner of the CBA, head coach of the Pacers and also held the coach, GM and president positions with the New York Knicks.

A 12-time NBA All-Star in his 13-year NBA career with the Detroit Pistons, Thomas joined the Knicks as the president of basketball operations before taking over the head coaching job in 2006. He was 56-108 in two seasons before being fired in 2008.

The Los Angeles Clippers are 21-28 and in 12th place in the Western Conference. Top pick Blake Griffin has yet to play a game this season after suffering a season-ending knee injury.

I really think the source is full of huey.

This is from ESPN and it doesn't sound like Mike Duleavy Sr. wants totally out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=4891505
    Hughes to debut Saturday vs. Spurs

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- The Clippers' mounting losses, injuries and lack of playoff success finally took their toll on coach Mike Dunleavy. For once, he wanted to watch a movie instead of game film on the flight home.
    Dunleavy said that's when he knew it was time to step aside as coach and for him to focus strictly on his duties as general manager.
    "I thought, 'It's time for me to give somebody else a shot, you're burnt out on this," he said Friday at the team's practice facility.
    In a move that surprised his players, Dunleavy turned things over after 6˝ years on the bench to assistant Kim Hughes, who'll make his debut as interim coach at home against the San Antonio Spurs on Saturday night.
    Hughes ran his first practice on Friday, pulling players like Baron Davis and Marcus Camby aside for one-on-one chats.
    The team has lost five of six, and with nine of their next 13 games at home it could be a pivotal stretch that decides whether the Clippers make a move toward their first playoff appearance since 2006 or chalk up another lost season.
    At 21-28, the Clippers are 12th in the Western Conference. They dropped a season-worst seven games under .500 with six losses on a just-completed eight-game road trip.
    Dunleavy said he initially proposed giving up coaching after the Clippers lost at Phoenix on Christmas Day. But owner Donald Sterling said he didn't want to do it.
    "I was really down off that loss," Dunleavy said.
    He perked up after the Clippers beat Boston 92-90 two days later, and he was buoyed by a four-game winning streak that included their first win over the Lakers since 2007.
    "Now we regained our momentum and I got a little battery life," he said. "As a coach you need to be recharged and regenerated, and the way that happens is your players win big games for you."
    But the momentum quickly evaporated with four consecutive losses. Then came the disastrous eight-game road trip that cemented Dunleavy's decision, which should assuage fans who chanted "Fire Dunleavy" at some home games.
    "I said to myself, `Maybe they're not hearing me, maybe the things I'm saying is not getting through at times, maybe another voice could do it.' It came down to the last two or three years, a lot of wear and tear as far as trying to juggle lineups," he said.
    "This trip was a real drain on me and I worried about my enthusiasm going forward. If that was an issue, then it's time to make a change."
    Dunleavy was 215-325 in 6˝ seasons on the bench, and Los Angeles made the playoffs just once in his first six seasons, getting within one game of the Western Conference finals in 2006. The Clippers haven't been back to the playoffs since, winning just 42 games in the past two seasons.
    Dunleavy will be off scouting when Hughes is introduced as coach Saturday.
    "Everybody is pretty much in shock so far," said Davis, who credits Dunleavy with helping him improve. "The only way we'll know how everybody truly feels is by how we come out and play."
    Hughes has been Dunleavy's assistant since they started together in Los Angeles, and subbed for him when Dunleavy was ill. A former ABA and NBA player who has never been a head coach, Hughes spent several years on the Nuggets' bench before joining the Clippers, and has been a scout in Denver and Milwaukee.
    "It's hard to say you want a job when you've never tried it," Hughes said. "Some people may perceive 33 games, it's a tough gig. I think it's a wonderful chance. I'm not fearful it could be a short reign."
    Hughes said he has not been promised his old job back if he isn't hired as the permanent coach.
    Unlike Dunleavy, who called most of the plays, Hughes will leave that to Davis.
    "Now I just got to learn them all," Davis said, smiling.
    Hughes said the team will run more while emphasizing tough defense. Practices will be shorter, there will be fewer film sessions, and Hughes promises to keep his pregame speeches to eight minutes.
    "For me, shorter is sweeter. We need to shorten the intelligence factor and make things simpler for us," he said. "We've gotten stale. There's so much things, our guys were kind of fried."
    Dunleavy vowed he won't offer Hughes any unsolicited advice, even though the coaching mentality will stay with him.
    "I wanted to stay with this organization, see things through, one way or the other," he said. "I would have rather done it as a successful coach, but on the other hand, I can see ahead. It was going to be a tough struggle all the way through."

That would be a pretty interesting discussion for its own thread.

I'm fairly certain that if those were my two choices, I'd take Zeke.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Huh? Dun wasnt relieved he voluntarily left the coaching circle. Also since he is GM why would he bring in Isaiah that doesnt sound like him
    JOB is a silly man

To make himself look good?

Really though, is anyone going to argue that this isn't the best thing for the Clippers legacy? I mean, if Pacer fans feel sorry for them, then they've really accomplished something.

You would rather have Isiah? Uh, really?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Clippers Eyeing Isiah Thomas
    Well, that makes sense.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    You would rather have Isiah? Uh, really?
    anything is better than JOB ........

Mood

My first thought upon reading the thread title was basically...

"Yeah, I'd keep an eye on him too, just to make sure he didn't get anywhere near my team."

But then I read the story. Only the Clippers...
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    anything is better than JOB ........
    I don't think so, and that's coming from someone who probably won't watch a single game if JOB is still the coach next year. Isiah, in addition to being a bad coach and GM appears to be a Class A Jerk/Dumbass off the court. No thanks.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

This coming from a person who can't STAND Jim Obrien as our coach anymore, I have come to this conclusion.

JOB hate has offically jumped the shark... as soon as people start spewing pure insanity such as "I would rather have Isiah Thomas" its time to think about things.

My friends, no matter how bad it is, it can ALWAYS be worse.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    This coming from a person who can't STAND Jim Obrien as our coach anymore, I have come to this conclusion.

JOB hate has offically jumped the shark... as soon as people start spewing pure insanity such as "I would rather have Isiah Thomas" its time to think about things.

OK OK I will coach the team
    JOB is a silly man

Banned

@ESPN_NBA Sources: Clips have not contacted Isiah Thomas - http://tinyurl.com/yfrmfm3

Quoted for the ******* truth!
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

I don't see how it could be worse to be quite honest. At least from a perspective of seeing all the other coaches in the NBA and then ours. Isiah Thomas wasn't a great coach, but most of his notoriety came as a GM, he was just the coach at the as well and since the coach is in the public eye it was crossed. On the sidelines during the game, I'd rather have Thomas.

Now, from a GM perspective, I wouldn't want Thomas anywhere near our FO. But I'm talking about as a coach.

I don't see how it could be worse to be quite honest. At least from a perspective of seeing all the other coaches in the NBA and then ours. Isiah Thomas wasn't a great coach, but most of his notoriety came as a GM, he was just the coach at the as well and since the coach is in the public eye it was crossed. On the sidelines during the game, I'd rather have Thomas.

Now, from a GM perspective, I wouldn't want Thomas anywhere near our FO. But I'm talking about as a coach.
    From bankrupting an entire league, to coaching, to being a GM. Everything that man touches turns to ****.

I don't want him anywhere near any team I root for. I don't even want him selling popcorn in Lucas Oil Stadium.

-- Steve --

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacersfan46 For This Useful Post: