Thread: Best commentators in the league?

Default Best commentators in the league?

I have had NBA League Pass for about eight years now and sometimes cant even watch games because the commentators are so bad. The Clippers announcers come to mind when I think of the worst in the league. I think the Pacers commentators are up there with the best. Others that stick out are Golden State and the Lakers. The Blazers' guys are too bad either. Who do you think?

Default Re: Best commentators in the league?

The bulk of commentators don't occupy any kind of thought on my behalf. They're just kind of there. It takes the truly terrible (Warriors color guy is a hyperhomer) or the really great to make me notice.

I grew up on Chick Hearn, and I still think he's the gold standard.

Clark Kellogg, I wish he did more NBA games.

I had league pass last year, and if I recall correctly my favorite in the league was the Hornets guys. Either that, or I really hated them. I can't remember which. I'm about 75% sure it was that I liked them though. LOL

-- Steve --

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Whoever the guys are that do the summer league games from Orlando.

Banned

Mark Jackson and VanGundy

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

The Clippers have great announcers.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

8. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Clippers have great announcers.
    Ralph Lawler and at the time Bill Walton were a great duo during the 90's. A lot of their stuff was comedy gold just reacting to how bad the team was and how Donald Sterling (owner) was even worse.

Lawler is still my favorite play by play guy in the league.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Ralph Lawler and at the time Bill Walton were a great duo during the 90's. A lot of their stuff was comedy gold just reacting to how bad the team was and how Donald Sterling (owner) was even worse.

Lawler is still my favorite play by play guy in the league.
    I agree 100% Lawler is the best and he and Walton back in the day were great.

Walt "Clyde" Frazier, the Knicks commentator, but I think Chris, Quinn, and Clark do a great job and I'd put them at the top of the league as the best commentators.

All hail King George! KnicksRGarbage's Avatar

Throw it down big fella!!
    Coach Vogel on the Chicago crowd in game 4 : "I only heard pacers fans. I didn't see any red, I saw Pacers fans I saw yellow and blue, and I heard Pacers chants. That's all I heard the whole game."

http://www.cacawebdev.com

IMO, Indy's guys are easily Top 5 local commentator teams in the league regardless of whether you're talking about Quinn or Clark. (I prefer Clark slightly, but both are upper echelon in terms of explaining the game objectively.)

I put Marv/Fratello (NJ) and Breen/Clyde (NY) clearly ahead of them, but that's it. Guokas/Steele in Orlando are great, too, and Lawler/Smith for the Clips are good times. Other than that, the rest of the league mostly ranges from "passable but unmemorable" to "holy s*** I'm muting this in favor of a baby crying" (any broadcast with Sean Elliot or Clyde Drexler)

Then there's Heinsohn/Gorman (BOS) who I love (grew up with these guys), but fully understand why people hate.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JayRedd For This Useful Post:

Ah I don't like the Pacers duo that much. Buckner is too subjective while both of them don't talk much about statistics, especially from the opponent. Hard to describe, but when I watch Indys games on the road, I do like commentators who have a clue of the Pacers' season, their record, their main contributors etc. and I don't get that from Buckner/Denari.

While I watch most of the games I can't say that one pair shined out over the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    IMO, Indy's guys are easily Top 5 local commentator teams in the league regardless of whether you're talking about Quinn or Clark. (I prefer Clark slightly, but both are upper echelon in terms of explaining the game objectively.)

I put Marv/Fratello (NJ) and Breen/Clyde (NY) clearly ahead of them, but that's it. Guokas/Steele in Orlando are great, too, and Lawler/Smith for the Clips are good times. Other than that, the rest of the league mostly ranges from "passable but unmemorable" to "holy s*** I'm muting this in favor of a baby crying" (any broadcast with Sean Elliot or Clyde Drexler)

Then there's Heinsohn/Gorman (BOS) who I love (grew up with these guys), but fully understand why people hate.
    My favorite local team is Steele and Guokas in Orlando - both are really good.

Clyde is bad, the Horbets announcers are bad.

I used to think Greg Kelser was good - have not heard from him in awhile

Gorman is great - Heinsoln IMO used to be pretty good, but he's too cranky now

I love Chris/Clarke (not Quinn). Can't stand Boston, they complain about EVERY call against the Celtics....especially Heinson...Of course don't watch the other teams announcers near as much as in previous years since we have a choice this year...

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post

I hate agreeing with you but everything you said is how I see it too. Perhaps we're being regionalists with our love for the Nets and Knicks announcers, but they really do make games we shouldn't watch quite interesting. Tommy point!

anyone but bill walton
    JOB is a silly man

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jhondog28 For This Useful Post:

I loved Dante and Galante during the summer league...haven't heard them do an Orlando broadcast though.

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksRGarbage View Post
    Throw it down big fella!!
    I'll see your "Throw it down big fella!!" and raise you a Smothered Chicken!!

Overall I'd say that we do have some of the best commentaters in the league (Clark Kellog is terrific IMO).

On a national level I'd have to say Kevin Harland is my favorite HANDS DOWN. The best crew I ever heard was the 2002 playoff series we had against the Nets when Kevin Harland, Jeff Van Gundy, and John Thompson worked one of the games.

Back when NBC still had the NBA I always enjoyed Bob Costas.

Bill Walton = basketball version of John Madden. No thanks. Although I will say the pairing of Tom Tolbert and Bill Walton (horrible for basketball commentary, perfect for comedy) was entertaining simply because Tom Tolbert would call Walton out on every idiotic thing he said. Needless to say that pairing didn't last long.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Walton & Lawler were really good with the Clippers, Walton was very funny. I didn't like Walton on NBC but he was a different guy doing Clipper games. I also like the guys that do Golden State games, don't remember their names.

Dante and Galante in the summer league are so bad they're great! Funny stuff.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Best: Walt Frazier - Like I said in the other thread, the guy is hilarious.

Worst: Celtics Announcers - In their entire lives, they have never seen the Celtics foul one person. Its so bad, that I went to a Celtic forum once, and they were even talking about how their Celtic homerism annoys them. They do no research on other teams and just make up facts throughout the game.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

I think Sacramento's announcers should be in the running for best. They seem genuinely knowledgeable about the game and other NBA teams. Plus their broadcast is very game focused and objective.

Breen/Frazier is a very good combo as well. And the New Jersey Nets combo is pretty good, but a little too self-centered to be in consideration, imo.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phree Refill View Post

Bill Walton = basketball version of John Madden. No thanks. Although I will say the pairing of Tom Tolbert and Bill Walton (horrible for basketball commentary, perfect for comedy) was entertaining simply because Tom Tolbert would call Walton out on every idiotic thing he said. Needless to say that pairing didn't last long.
    Walton is more like Dick Vitale for NBA. Or even a version of Howard Cosell—the guy you love to hate.

I think he did a great job pulling off the schtick.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Walton is more like Dick Vitale for NBA. Or even a version of Howard Cosell—the guy you love to hate.

I think he did a great job pulling off the schtick.
    Love Walton, hate Vitale. When Vitale did an nba game couple of weeks ago I thought I would have to quit bball.