View Poll Results: Quinn Buckner is still the TV color commentator for Pacer games because:

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • He is an interesting commentator

14 35.90%
  • He is a past high profile Indiana player and known quantity

5 12.82%
  • Clark Kellogg is only available for certain games.

14 35.90%
  • Quinn is close friends with Larry Bird

2 5.13%
  • It is difficult to fire a color commentator

2 5.13%
  • The society of engineers, mathematicians and all things arcane endorses Quinn

0 0%
  • Chris Denari is terrified of silence

2 5.13%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quinn Buckner is still the TV color commentator for Pacer games because:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Quinn Buckner is still the TV color commentator for Pacer games because:

I will wait to share my opinion, so as not to taint the poll.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Default Re: Quinn Buckner is still the TV color commentator for Pacer games because:

He has unflattering pictures of Bird and Stacey Paetz together?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndyHoosier For This Useful Post:

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Quinn Buckner is still the TV color commentator for Pacer games because:

Quinn rocks! Gotta love him.

He's been loyal to the Pacers and they have been loyal to him.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I like Quinn better than Denari...but both are several rungs below Kellogg.

Honestly, I hope they have some fans, but I'm not one of them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

We have a pretty good cast of TV guys.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:

You know... I know I've seen Quinn doing some higher profile work. I think there's a 'comfort' factor he has when doing the Pacers that isn't indicative of what he would do in a different setting.

I'm assuming you'd like him to be more straight laced and take the job more seriously?

I doubt he'd announce NBA or college games the same way on ESPN... or CBS.... or TNT...

So are you about to say he's gotten too comfortable broadcasting Pacer games and needs to remember he is broadcasting a game and not just sitting with some buddies?

I guess I could see that... I don't much care though. I'm glad he can have a good time at a Pacer game. A lot of people can't these days. We have bigger problems than our broadcast teams.

Although it is something different to talk about!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty sure you're too late for that.

Anyway, I'm in the "I Like Quinn" group. I don't agree with people who think he's terrible, and I'd say at worst he's "okay."

I don't have a laundry list of reasons why I feel that way, but I've obviously watched him hundreds of times and I feel he's a good commentator.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I love how Quinn gets caught up in the game as a true Pacer fan. His laugh is the best. He's a keeper.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to geetee For This Useful Post:

I'd be perfectly fine with the people we have for years to come.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:

Banned

I voted for the colored commentator angle because I thought it was funny.

Banned

because he is good

Banned

I like him even though he's an iu guy.
    His insights are usually accurate (IMO)

Mood

Colored? Is it 1950 again? lol.

Anyway, I pretty much agree with Hicks, especially after hearing all the guys around the league this year. Quinn's just fine with me.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Clark Kellogg is one of the best commentators I have ever heard period. He is always informative , non biased, and always enjoyable to listen too. Buckner just makes me laugh when he starts cracking up on anything. If Murphy takes too many steps to the basket trips over a shoe thrown by a mascot after it riccocheted off of Stacy Paetz the dude would laugh for like 10 minutes.
    JOB is a silly man

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jhondog28 For This Useful Post:

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like them all. Sometimes Stacey drives me nuts, but she's leaps and bounds better than she used to be.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP63 View Post
    I like them all. Sometimes Stacey drives me nuts, but she's leaps and bounds better than she used to be.
    yeah she drives nuts too.............

I miss something...I like Quinn.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Pretty sure you're too late for that.
    Good memory.

Quinn drives me absolutely nuts.

He talks ad infinitum, and always tries to explain the minutia of every incident. He also claims to know things that are in people's minds but are really unknowable.

Clark Kellogg is super.

I actually like Chris Denari a lot.

And I think Stacy Paetz is pretty sharp too.

I guess this is like favorite movies: everybody has different tastes.

Oh, and I voted "He is close friends with Larry Bird." He is. And I think that's the reason he's still there.
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 02-04-2010 at 09:38 PM.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Denari and I love Kellogg. I dislike Buckner. I loathe Paetz.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quinn for a local guy he's pretty good. comparing him to Kellogg isn't fair. Clark is the number 1 college guy for the network that does the NCAA tournament. I would hope he's a lot better than Quinn. Quinn is entertaining, sometimes funny, sure he butchers the english language at times, but I have no problem with him at all

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quinn also serves as Director of Communications for the Pacers (in addition to his TV role) and does a lot of PR efforts for the Pacers.

And yes, he is good friends with Bird (from their years in Boston) and they knew each other when Bird went to IU for a while. But Quinn also worked for ESPN, NBC, CBS, etc. so it's not like he doesn't have experience.

I know we've talked about Quinn, Clark & Stacy, but what about Croshere? It's been nice to see a recent player and his perspective and Austin seems to enjoy the gig.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I've never been impressed with Kellogg. Wasn't impressed when he was a player at Ohio State and their over-hyped Kellogg-Williams front court went 9-9 against the Big 10.

Wasn't impressed with him as an NBA player, although you can't fully separate his career from Herb so that probably hurts his reputation in my mind a little bit.

I think he's an average or perhaps below-analyst but will give him credit for being much more articulate than many ex-players so he makes ordinary observations more astute than they actually are.

I think Quinn is much more insightful, but with less polish so it doesn't always work as well. Still, I'd rather hear what Quinn is trying to say than listen to Clark say, "he was in position to grab the rebound" (duh) much more eloquently.

I think Clark should stick with the college game. He at least played one more NCAA tournament game than NBA playoff game so I guess that makes him more of an expert on college ball.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quinn is awesome! Don't have a problem with any of the people who work broadcasts of Pacers games, television or radio. Since I got LP this season, I've had a chance to hear quite a few other teams of broadcasters and I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with the notion that we have some of the best in the business all the way around. We are VERY lucky to have the television people we have, and even more lucky to have Mark & Slick. Let's not take them for granted!

It took me a while to get used to Chris Denari, but he has really grown on me and I feel like he is a true professional for making that happen. Seems like a nice guy too.

I love Clark Kellogg, but who doesn't (except for Jay!!)...The guy was on the air with Obama at a Georgetown game not long ago...he took it in stride and totally brought it off. Just a great, great guy and a total natural for the job, college or pro.

Quinn offers a different perspective, that is for sure, but he is still fun to listen to, and brings plenty of his own positives. He definitely roots for the Pacers and gets caught up sometimes, but I like that. He isn't nearly as much of a homer as some other teams' announcers. It could get FAR worse, believe me.

Stacy Paetz wasn't very good when she first started, but she has gotten infinitely better, and is now doing a great job. She seems to have a good rapport with the players and has really worked to polish her game. No complaints at all, and she is also very nice.

Not sure about Cro just yet. I'm glad he is here, and I'm glad he's got the gig. I think he'll grow into it just fine. Also a great guy, and obviously knows what he's talking about. I always look forward to seeing him. I don't get to see him or the rest of the television crew much, because we've been GOING to far more games than I've been watching on TV! It would be awful for that trend to continue...!!

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

I think the color commentators we have are just fine. I've gotten use to Denari to the point where he's ok, but his style and delivery just isn't my cup of tea.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I think the way you phrased the question ("is still..."), and poll choices, did a more-than-adequate job of tainting the poll.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post: