Thread: Amar'e Stoudemire Leaning Toward Not Opting Out of Contract/expiring in 2011

Banned

Default Amar'e Stoudemire Leaning Toward Not Opting Out of Contract/expiring in 2011

This could be good news for the Pacers, 1st big free agent in 2011

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/02/03/a...t-of-contract/

DENVER -- Amar'e Stoudemire offered some bright news Wednesday to fans of the Phoenix Suns.

In an interview with FanHouse, the Phoenix forward said he's leaning toward not opting out of his contract this summer. Unless he were to sign an extension before then, that would mean he would put off his free agency from next summer until the summer of 2011.

"I can opt out this summer or I can opt in, which means I'll be back another year (for $17.69 million)," said Stoudemire, speaking after the morning shootaround in preparation for Wednesday night's game against Denver. "That's definitely an option. I'm leaning more toward that right now. Maybe opting in. ... (That would be to) buy time. See how we do. ... I think we got our game back on track. A three-game winning streak

Default Re: Amar'e Stoudemire Leaning Toward Not Opting Out of Contract/expiring in 2011

You think he wants to play/live in Indianapolis?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DEEman For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Amar'e Stoudemire Leaning Toward Not Opting Out of Contract/expiring in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by DEEman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Something tells me we're going to be asking ourselves this question a lot if we opt to play the FA market.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Ive read that PHX might want to deal him because they fear that Amare will leave PHX for a big market (city) team which Indy is not.

But it is worth throwing the money at him in 2011
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Chad Ford tweeted this a little earlier

http://twitter.com/chadfordinsider

Suns offered Amare for Iggy and Dalembert - explains why Amare started talking about not opting out
    Not sure how I feel about that offer?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Chad Ford tweeted this a little earlier

http://twitter.com/chadfordinsider

Not sure how I feel about that offer?
    I would make that deal if I was phoenix, I would not do it if I was Philly, they already have EB and I don't think they could play together. Regarding the comments about Amare coming to indy, I think it could be possible if they have a better team by that time and all they need is him to compete I think it could be worth it.

if we have a couple good draft picks in the next two years, Granger, Price, Hansbough and Hibbert contuine to progress then we will have a good foundation and should make it atleast semi-attractive for a Big Name Free Agent... AKA Joe Johnson or whom ever...

Gotta Remember, players follow the money and if the new CBA Agreement is inplace we could be a front runner...

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GO!!!!! For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DEEman View Post
    I don't see why big names wouldn't consider living/playing in Indianapolis. It's the cheapest NBA city to live in. Just sayin. I know there's more factors that play a role in a free agent's decision making, but I don't think players realize how cheap Indianapolis is, compared to New York, Seattle, Miami...etc, except for those who have played and lived here.

:thepacers

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Baba O'Riley View Post
    I don't see why big names wouldn't consider living/playing in Indianapolis. It's the cheapest NBA city to live in. Just sayin. I know there's more factors that play a role in a free agent's decision making, but I don't think players realize how cheap Indianapolis is, compared to New York, Seattle, Miami...etc, except for those who have played and lived here.
    they save more in miami because there is not income tax and is also hot and the hot girls, s*** what Im doing in indy?

whats Indiana's state tax situation I know that here in Texas we dont have any so that could be a factor in people choosing states to play in
    JOB is a silly man

I remember when Artest was traded to the Pacers and bought a house in Carmel (and later Zionsville) and commented on how cheap real estate was in Indy compared to Chicago and NY.

As far as the tax situation, Indiana has a flat state income tax (3.4%). It's actually one of the lower tax rates (for states with income taxes). Obviously states like Tennessee, Florida, Texas, etc. don't have state income tax, but they make it up in other ways (property tax, sales tax, corporate tax, etc).

The other issue is that players pay tax in other states that they play games in. For example, when the Pacers travel to Milwaukee on Saturday for their game against the Bucks, Granger and his teammates will pay State of Wisconsin taxes and will file a tax return for the State of Wisconsin next year. They won't have to pay State of Indiana tax for their game on Saturday, but will do so for their game against the Pistons in Indy on Friday. On the other side of the coin, Kobe, LeBron, etc. all pay State of Indiana income tax each time they play in Indy. To put it into perspective, a guy like Troy Murphy will pay about 187k in State of Indiana taxes this year, but won't pay any State of Florida, Texas, Tennessee, etc.

For Amare, I think his priorities are:

1. Money/contract
    2. Type of market
    3. Decent team/teammates
    4. Coach
    5. Nightlife/social scene

Players will always follow the money in just about every situation. Amare and his agent want to get paid and he will follow the money to whatever team allows that. Maybe it's Indy? Maybe it's a team like Jersey or Miami?

If I was a basketball player, here's how I would breakdown my city choice:

1. NYC
    2. Chicago
    3. Miami

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post

1. NYC
    2. Chicago
    3. Miami
    you are forgetting LA

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post

1. NYC
    2. Chicago
    3. Miami
    Assuming everything were equal (money, coach, team, etc.), I think that if I were an NBA player, I would look at:

-- Miami, Orlando, Phoenix, San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, LA. When it's snowing in January in NYC or Chicago, I'd rather be laying on a beach in Miami

It doesn't matter if Amare wants to play here or not, honestly. The more high profile free agents available, the more they'll take the attention from other teams with cap space and leave us with better players remaining in free agency.

As a small scale example, if only 2 teams have cap space, and there is only 3 free agents. One free agent is great, one is good, and the other is average .... we'll end up with the "good" free agent. If the great player (Amare) is a free agent in 2010, instead of 2011 we're getting the average guy because the better destination will get the good FA, without the great FA being on the market.

Simple. Amare will eat up someone's cap space, that's good for us.

-- Steve --