Thread: ESPN's John Clayton Calls Freeney Doubtful For Super Bowl

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default ESPN's John Clayton Calls Freeney Doubtful For Super Bowl

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ory?id=4874674

Now there's something to worry about.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: ESPN's John Clayton Calls Freeney Doubtful For Super Bowl

I'd be absolutely shocked if he didn't play. For the Super Bowl, you have to be almost dead not to play in it.

I could have sworn I heard someone in an interview this week (Polian?) say it was an ankle problem, but not a high ankle problem.

Surely in two weeks he could be ready to play. Unless something really nasty happened to the lower ankle.

Wasn't Freeney supposed to miss a game this season and he still played... and effectively? What was that injury?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wasn't Freeney supposed to miss a game this season and he still played... and effectively? What was that injury?
    Yes, I don't remember which week it was but he had a pretty severe muscle strain/tear in one of his legs, played anyway, and played pretty good if I recall correctly. I'll see if I can go dig up which game that was from.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Yes, I don't remember which week it was but he had a pretty severe muscle strain/tear in one of his legs, played anyway, and played pretty good if I recall correctly. I'll see if I can go dig up which game that was from.
    Think it was against the Seahawks, and it was a quad injury.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Banned
    Mood

Dwight Freeney could be decapitated in a horrific automobile accident the day before the game and I'd still list him as likely to play. The guy is tougher than a $2 steak.

Obviously, Manning is far and away the most irreplaceable player on this team, but the only other guys whose absence I think would be difficult to overcome are Freeney and Mathis.

Everybody else, they can work around.

Mood

He's tough. Heal quickly Freeney!
    Go Colts!!

Go Pacers!!

It's a torn ligament, I'm sure he'll give it a go and put a bunch of pain meds, but I'm not really holding my breath, yes it hurts to lose him, but Mathis has become a big time player so I'm not as worried as I used to be when Freeney would go down.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

I think he'll go. He may need a boatload of tape and a cortizone injection, but he'll give it a go.

I sure hope he plays, but he could end up like Nick Harper did in the last super bowl and not finish. Next man up as usual!!
    Give the ball to your best playmakers to win

Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

This whole thing is just stupid. The media is blowing it up just to have something to talk about on 1st and 10 and PTI tomorrow. It was already reported as a low grade 3 ankle sprain, which is a torn ligament. It just wasn't reported as a torn ligament until today. It is bad, but I bet he would cut his foot off to play.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I hope this report is accurate. No ligament tear sure sounds better.

I hope if he does play he can be effective. I would imagine a player like Freeney that relys on quickness and explosiveness would be more effected than some other type players.

"Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

After the Marvin Harrison injury saga, I'm going to assume it really is a tear.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I am posting this from another guy's posts on the IU site, peegs.com

It is purportedly an e-mail from a trainer at Miami of Ohio explaining the probable nature of Freeney's problem:

"A sprain is defined as a injury to a ligament, which is a soft tissue structure that connects bone to bone, it is non-contractile and henceforth has no blood supply, so it won't heal, but can scar.

A 3rd degree sprain is defined as a complete tear. Sprains have 3 classifications - 1, 2, 3

1- stretch
    2 - partial tear
    3- complete full thickness tear

The low ankle sprain they are speaking of is just in comparison to a high ankle sprain. I don't know the specifics of Freeney's injury (meaning I haven't spoke to anybody from the colts)... I can tell you with a fair amount of certainty that he has a inversion ankle sprain (foot went in), injuring the outside of his ankle, there are 3 ligaments of concern w/ a inversion/lateral ankle sprain... The anterior talofibular, calcaneofibular, and the posterior talofibular and that is the order they are injured in. I would bet Freeney has torn the anterior talofibular. To be quite honest, I'd imagine amongst our friends, 25-30% of us have done this and we just though we had a moderate ankle sprain. The high ankle sprain refers to a injury to the anterior tibiofibular ligament and is a much longer recovery time.

I deal with these all the time w/ basketball, one situation a couple of years ago, one of our best players had the exact injury I described above, it occurred on a Saturday night game. We treated around the clock, taped and braced and he got 19 pts, 11 rebounds in a big win at Illinois the following Thursday, now 2 days later we played at Kansas and he did have some trouble there. But Freeney has one game!!

The entire issue w/ Freeney isn't the torn ligament, his ability to play and effectiveness will be determined by whether or not the ankle joint is stable. Only the Colts know the real answer to this. If the joint is instable, that's a problem. If stable, This is a very manageable injury. Not to be an ***, but if you give me 2 weeks w/ this and an athlete that WANTS TO PLAY and you can get this done.

He's doing all this fancy ARC therapy and hyperbaric chamber, but you need to decrease the swelling, increase/restore full range of motion, work on strength and do a ton of balance. Get that done, then tape the hell out of it, got all offseason to heal/rehab. Typically a torn anterior talofibular ligament is not a surgical injury."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

The key is to get the swelling down and hopefully he has sensation in his foot. If he can plant ok, then maybe he can play. If he can at least play passing downs, maybe that will be ok.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

In Peter King's MMQB article he discusses it saying how since it's his right leg it, it's the leg his plants/pushes off of.

I wonder if there is any thought to switchin him and Mathis up? Put Mathis on the right side of the line, and DFree on the left, so he's not planting/pushing off on the weaker side.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    In Peter King's MMQB article he discusses it saying how since it's his right leg it, it's the leg his plants/pushes off of.

I wonder if there is any thought to switchin him and Mathis up? Put Mathis on the right side of the line, and DFree on the left, so he's not planting/pushing off on the weaker side.
    PK mentioned this in MMQ TE. I think it's a really good idea as well. Mathis and Freeney know how to play on opposite sides as well, and this would allow Freeney to get a better push without the pain/numbness. Assuming the swelling goes down of course. But this would be a good idea. Also, they could do some more stunts as well with Freeney rushing the middle like he's done on occasion.