Thread: Reggie Probably Starting Next Year

PacersFan

Default Reggie Probably Starting Next Year

hmm....I think it looks like there's a pretty good chance that Reggie will be starting

He [S. Jackson] made it clear before he ever got here that hes a big Reggie Miller fan and in his mind hes fine with coming off the bench, said Carlisle. He just wants to win. He went through a tough situation in Atlanta last year, going from a championship team to a team that won 20-some games. And you can tell hes hungry to get back to the business of winning.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/news_jackson_040715.html

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Reggie Probably Starting Next Year

Yeah, eventhough Jackson has the credentials to be a starter on this team, the team probably feels that Reggie Miller is one of the largest draws for the casual fan and S. Jackson is not a bright enough star to warrent unseating Reggie. I think the only way Reggie doesnt start is that "Reggie" request that HE WANTS to come off the bench!

:ticked: :spam: Not going to happen !!!
    [edit=29=1089935245][/edit]
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Let's hope that in training camp Jax proves he's better suited to start at 2 and that Reggie says to Rick it's OK.

Zesty

I think that if Jackson comes and does really well and Reggie continues to look like Old Reggie, we'll see a switch mid-season.

sweabs

I think Reggie will ask to come off the bench.

You know, I keep hearing how Reggie spreads the defense etc., and I suppose he does, but wouldn't a guy who TAKES and makes clutch shots keep defenses more honest than a guy who is going to pass it most of time?

I love Reggie but for his sake and the team's he needs to come off of the bench next season if he's going to play. In fact, I strongly believe that Reggie would be a stronger asset to the team if he DOES come off of the bench - with Al gone Reg could be our number one or two scoring option when the starters sit - he could play 20 minutes a game and just run through screens trying to get open most of the time, like he used to for 35-40 minutes a game when he was younger.

Remember, it's not who STARTS the games, it's who FINISHES them - right?

PacersFan

I agree with SaS, I feel that by starting Reggie we reallt aren't losing much. I feel he should be in there for short stretches in the game. Reggie probably is better starting because it's harder for him to come off the bench, and it's easier to be put in there right after shootaround.
    We started games very well last year, so why not keep the starting line-up as it is. The starting line-up is not who's going to play the most minutes....but what will be the most useful to the team.
    I feel that Reggie should stay in there for about 5 min. and let SJ finish out the quarter. Plus, wasn't Reggie first or one of the best on the plus minus charts? That shows teams still fear him to some extent. But I do feel his minutes should be more limited than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Remember, it's not who STARTS the games, it's who FINISHES them - right?

So they say.. and I'm more worried about that then who is gonna start. If they are gonna be starting Reggie just because of his reputation or whatever, how are they gonna justify leaving him on the bench when its clutch time? Really hope he is on the bench at the end of most games except for special situations when we need a three.

Quote Originally Posted by rscarey

I agree with you, but I think we are the only two who believe this.

Reggie is Reggie. Stephen is Stephen. Starting is starting. Finishing is finishing. Benching is benching.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck

No, there are at least 3 of us.

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I honestly think that if Reggie was asked to come off the bench, he wouldn't hesitate to accomidate the coaching staff.

I just don't see him asking to come off the bench.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

I don't know, somehow I would feel a little bad if I saw Reggie coming off the bench. I want next year to be like 2 years ago for the Spurs. Your aging vet superstar only playing a few minutes a game. But still starting and giving that extra little umph to get a championship. Who wouldn't love that storyline.

The latest article on Indystar.com has the following paragraphs

Jackson, a starter the last two seasons, reiterated his willingness to come off the bench behind Reggie Miller, who will return for his 18 th NBA season.

Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said a decision on who starts will be made later. "That situation will evolve and well figure that out as we go along," he said. "But its great to know that Steve didnt come in here with any conditions. He didnt make any demands."

Jacksons only demand: winning. "Ill be the biggest jerk in the locker room if were losing," he said. "Im the type of player who will do anything to win the game. If I have to start a fight, Ill do it. Its that simple. Its about winning

Quote Originally Posted by Da
    I don't know, somehow I would feel a little bad if I saw Reggie coming off the bench. I want next year to be like 2 years ago for the Spurs. Your aging vet superstar only playing a few minutes a game. But still starting and giving that extra little umph to get a championship. Who wouldn't love that storyline.
    I concur.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck

No, there are at least 3 of us.

Make that 4

Ricky said it's not important who starts, it's about winning and who FINISHES.. glancing at Jackson with a raised eyebrow.