Thread: How will the Heat stop JO?

Default How will the Heat stop JO?

Brian Grant did a great defensive job on Jermaine. Now to me they have no one, unless the put Shaq on him, to stop Jermaine even a little in the post.

I think they have no choice barring any future signings but to play Shaq on JO, and JO is too fast for Shaq.

And even if say, Karl Malone follows Shaq to Miami, Malone doesn't worry me guarding JO at his age. I think they lost a big thing when it comes to combating our team by trading Butler, Odom, and Grant away because it was those 3 that guarded Ron and JO, and even Butler and Odom weren't stopping Ron, who should have an even easier time now.

Default Re: How will the Heat stop JO?

That's why I said that, if I were Riley, I'd be doing everything possible to include Jones instead of Grant. Not that I have anything against Eddie, I've liked him for a very long time. But, you put Grant next to Shaq, with Wade on the perimeter, and that's it. Game over.

Everybody's dissing LA, but I see some nice things ahead for them. Think of it like this. Take Miami last year, and trade Wade and Jones for Kobe and Payton. Throw in Rudy T on the bench, and that's a nice team, even out west.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You think they're going to put Shaq, the best post defender on the planet today, on Foster instead of JO?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Since when was Shaq "the best post defender on the planet today"?

And if he's so great, how come Karl Malone guarded JO and not him? How come he rarely guarded Duncan?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You think they're going to put Shaq, the best post defender on the planet today, on Foster instead of JO?

Jay, I read your post three times because at first I thought you were maybe being sarcastic, but I don't think you are.

I don't think Shaq is a very good post defender. he rarely if ever has guarded the opposing teams best low post player, and only guarded them when he had to. Granted, part of the reason why he didn't guard the best low post player was to stay out of foul trouble.

I don't think Shaq would guard J.O very effectively.

Howver I expect the

lakers to sign a pretty decent power forward.

Interesting counter-argument. Certainly protecting him from foul trouble against quicker guys is a variable. Duncan is still mostly playing PF, so Shaq would guard Nestorovich/ D-Rob.

But who's a better post defender? Uncle Cliffy is pretty good, but he doesn't have the weight to just move another true center five to seven to ten feet out of his comfort zone like Shaq does.

Shaq's post defense has always been the strongest part of his game, in my opinion.

Who can even establish position against him occasionally, let alone consistently?

RA231

JO and Duncan would kill Shaq if he guarded them. They play more of a outside post if that makes any sense. It would also suck Shaq out of the middle allowing Artest, Bender, Jax, Jones, and even Tinsley to get in the middle for easy shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting counter-argument. Certainly protecting him from foul trouble against quicker guys is a variable. Duncan is still mostly playing PF, so Shaq would guard Nestorovich/ D-Rob.

But who's a better post defender? Uncle Cliffy is pretty good, but he doesn't have the weight to just move another true center five to seven to ten feet out of his comfort zone like Shaq does.

Shaq's post defense has always been the strongest part of his game, in my opinion.

Who can even establish position against him occasionally, let alone consistently?

It isn't that Shaq can't do an excellent job defending a good low post player. It is he does it so rarely. But if he puts his mind to it he can do a good job.

But one area I know he is terrible at is helping on pick and rolls or stepping out away from the basket to contest shots.

back to the low post thing. Certainly if Shaq is motivated to defend J.O well and if J.O tries to back Shaq down or tries to overpower Shaq, J.O. won't be able to do that.

The better question would be,"How will the Heat stop the Pacers?" It won't matter if they stop Jermaine and let the rest of the team run rampant.

I'll give you that; he's significantly below average as a help defender.

JO doesn't have to post up Shaq; he's still fast enough to go around him, and he has the range to shoot over him. Add to that now they don't have anyone to even pretend to guard Ron in the paint, and I think they're in trouble.

Did you read the Indy Star today where it had a quote from Shaq that the only player he was worried about was JO?? It may have already been posted but its worth reading again!

"The Eastern Conference, outside of Jermaine O'Neal, it's not going to be that difficult to me. So I look forward to it," O'Neal said

http://www.indystar.com/articles/9/162593-5429-179.html

Here, everyone have a : on me

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The was a reason Shaw mentioned JO, is because what other power forward out there who can reall do it all in the east no one. Jo should have a field day this year. Now back to the statement. There is no way Shaq plays JO. Shaq would be in foul trouble so quick it would make your head spin.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS