Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Granger! Party of none, Granger Granger!!

All hail King George! KnicksRGarbage's Avatar

Default Granger! Party of none, Granger Granger!!

Looking for a "Danny Granger! 2008 All Star, future of Indianapolis. Leader of the team!!"

So.. What's the deal with Danny.
    I understand this team is worse than 2008 Detroit Lions, I really do. I also understand he had the torn plantar fascia as well. But come on...

Tonight Danny had eight points and went 3-13 FG and 1-5 3pt. 2 reb. 3 asst. 4 fouls. and 2 turnovers in 30 minutes.
    Dahntay Jones had 8 points in 12 minutes. Danny was tied (Granger, Jones, AJ) for the lowest point total on the team tonight with 8. Hell, even AJ Price had one more board than Danny tonight, along with same amount of steals (1) and 0 turnovers all in 18 min.

Last game against Cleveland he went 6-23 FG and 1-8 3pt. in 40 minutes finishing with 13 pts. But you better get 13 points if you chuck it up 23 times.
    Again, AJ scored 10 pts and he played 20 less minutes than Danny did.

The Lakers game.. If you take away FT's (5) Danny would have had 9 points going 4-8 FG and 1-3 3pt in 30 min. Not a terrible game but I'd expect more for our 9 mil we're paying him this year. Not to mention the 14 million in 2013. I mean Luther Head played 15 minutes and scored 9 points making $884,000.

This is a recent game overview but we've all seen it this year. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Granger fan. It just concerns me a bit that there is absolutely no passion or fire from Danny this season. I saw it the very first game of the year. Something was wrong with our beloved Danny. Where's the guy I saw bust his teeth out to fight Paul Pierce for a loose ball??
    So I ask you, what's eating Granger Danger?
    Coach Vogel on the Chicago crowd in game 4 : "I only heard pacers fans. I didn't see any red, I saw Pacers fans I saw yellow and blue, and I heard Pacers chants. That's all I heard the whole game."

http://www.cacawebdev.com

Default Re: Granger! Party of none, Granger Granger!!

Quote Originally Posted by KnicksRGarbage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking for a "Danny Granger! 2008 All Star, future of Indianapolis. Leader of the team!!"

So.. What's the deal with Danny.
    I understand this team is worse than 2008 Detroit Lions, I really do. I also understand he had the torn plantar fascia as well. But come on...

Tonight Danny had eight points and went 3-13 FG and 1-5 3pt. 2 reb. 3 asst. 4 fouls. and 2 turnovers in 30 minutes.
    Dahntay Jones had 8 points in 12 minutes. Danny was tied (Granger, Jones, AJ) for the lowest point total on the team tonight with 8. Hell, even AJ Price had one more board than Danny tonight, along with same amount of steals (1) and 0 turnovers all in 18 min.

Last game against Cleveland he went 6-23 FG and 1-8 3pt. in 40 minutes finishing with 13 pts. But you better get 13 points if you chuck it up 23 times.
    Again, AJ scored 10 pts and he played 20 less minutes than Danny did.

The Lakers game.. If you take away FT's (5) Danny would have had 9 points going 4-8 FG and 1-3 3pt in 30 min. Not a terrible game but I'd expect more for our 9 mil we're paying him this year. Not to mention the 14 million in 2013. I mean Luther Head played 15 minutes and scored 9 points making $884,000.

This is a recent game overview but we've all seen it this year. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Granger fan. It just concerns me a bit that there is absolutely no passion or fire from Danny this season. I saw it the very first game of the year. Something was wrong with our beloved Danny. Where's the guy I saw bust his teeth out to fight Paul Pierce for a loose ball??
    So I ask you, what's eating Granger Danger?
    In all honesty he is hurt and has lost confidence. He also needs someone that will take the focus off of him. Two years ago Dunleavy did that and last year JJ helped out a lot. Just my opinon
    JOB is a silly man

I think he's "given up" on either the year, the team, the coach, or a combination.

I'd respect him more if that's not true, but I can also understand.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I agree JJ helped. I liked JJ too.
    I could also agree with you as well Hicks. Maybe he's worried he's gonna be "Archie Manning-ed."
    For clarification to some, that's be a star and be constantly surrounded by garbage and the team bringing in no one to benefit you..

All I can do is trust Larry knows what he's doing and we'll come out of the storm in 3-5 years much better than we anticipated
    Coach Vogel on the Chicago crowd in game 4 : "I only heard pacers fans. I didn't see any red, I saw Pacers fans I saw yellow and blue, and I heard Pacers chants. That's all I heard the whole game."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Honestly, I subscribe to the theory that Granger is very displeased with Obie and is taking crap shots to spite his system. I don't think he's lost confidence in himself, but I do think he's lost confidence in Obie.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I agree with Hicks. It's a throwaway season and he knows it, and the quote in Hicks' signature really shows that. And from Danny's Tweet the same day:

"We lost tonight but my Lobos beat #10 BYU!!! Everyones a Lobo!!! If u don't know what that means then don't worry about it"
    He showed more joy for his "Lobos" victory than he showed disappointment that his own team lost yet another game. I just don't think he cares anymore this year. If that's the case, then I don't think that it says very much about his leadership.
    Last edited by tsm612; 02-01-2010 at 12:29 AM.

I'm convinced Danny isn't a leader. I think Jack was our leader last year, actually.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'm convinced Danny isn't a leader. I think Jack was our leader last year, actually.
    If Danny was Batman last season, I would consider his Robin to be Jarrett Jack.

I knew once we lost Jack, this season was going to go downhill. He filled our PG troubles. A Jack/Price rotation would've been nearly perfect for this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This gets more painfully obvious with each passing unininspired performance.

Actually, if you take performance, leadership, and PG quaterbacking skills all into account, JJ may well have been our best player last year.

I was really bummed that we lost him, but was able to rationalize it due to the financials. The way things have played out, it's only more depressing now. Probably the most moxie we'd seen around here since Jackson/Reggie.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

I don't understand why Granger rushed back from his injury so quick... this season is going no where so take him out and let the heel fully heal. Whether it's the injury, JOB's system, lack of motivation, or all of the above... he isn't doing much to help the team right now.

Quote Originally Posted by cjacobs2007 View Post
    I don't understand why Granger rushed back from his injury so quick... this season is going no where so take him out and let the heel fully heal. Whether it's the injury, JOB's system, lack of motivation, or all of the above... he isn't doing much to help the team right now.
    With all due respect, it's not the injury. When I watch him, there's nothing about his game that indicts the injury is still bothering him. I REALLY believe that he just don't give a d*mn anymore.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This gets more painfully obvious with each passing unininspired performance.

Actually, if you take performance, leadership, and PG quaterbacking skills all into account, JJ may well have been our best player last year.

I was really bummed that we lost him, but was able to rationalize it due to the financials. The way things have played out, it's only more depressing now. Probably the most moxie we'd seen around here since Jackson/Reggie.
    We couldn't afford to keep Jack because we needed to bring in some defensive players that we wouldn't play.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Hopefully, Danny's injury is of the type that it won't affect him coming back when he did.

Danny's not the only enigma out there. Dunleavy is strange as heck. I've heard the arguments that a bad leg can affect how you pass the ball right to the opponent two or three times a game, but I'm not buying them.

Something's in Dunleavy's head, and he's not the same player he was.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Perhaps Danny has forgotten that he was just awarded a nice, new
    contract about 18 months ago. I doubt that 'not giving a damn'
    anymore (wether due to disatisfaction with O'B, all the losing or
    whatever) is what Bird and crew had in mind when they paid him.

Wether he likes it or not, Danny's job is to 'be the leader' and set
    an example for the younger guys. And if true, the stuff about him
    being dissappointed at not being surrounded with enough talent,
    etc. is pure bs.

Danny Granger hasn't done anything in the NBA signifigant enough
    to warrant that kind of attitude. Putting up stats and/or making
    an All-Star game on a team that sucks is utterly meaningless.

The Pacers don't owe him anything.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Zelmo Beatty For This Useful Post:

I know!
    Perhaps there's a basketball game featuring The Looney Toons and The Monstars, and they've just all had their talent taken away by the little guys?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Zelmo Beatty View Post
    Perhaps Danny has forgotten that he was just awarded a nice, new
    contract about 18 months ago. I doubt that 'not giving a damn'
    anymore (wether due to disatisfaction with O'B, all the losing or
    whatever) is what Bird and crew had in mind when they paid him.

Wether he likes it or not, Danny's job is to 'be the leader' and set
    an example for the younger guys. And if true, the stuff about him
    being dissappointed at not being surrounded with enough talent,
    etc. is pure bs.

Danny Granger hasn't done anything in the NBA signifigant enough
    to warrant that kind of attitude. Putting up stats and/or making
    an All-Star game on a team that sucks is utterly meaningless.

The Pacers don't owe him anything.
    They owe him a d*mn coach that can coach.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    With all due respect, it's not the injury. When I watch him, there's nothing about his game that indicts the injury is still bothering him. I REALLY believe that he just don't give a d*mn anymore.
    Well that really sucks... I'd much rather it be the injury that's bothering him. I really hope we can get a new coach in after this season and that will help motivate Granger to return to how he was playing last year.

With all due respect I will not question a player's heart until they say something that proves to me that they dont care. Granger is still trying to win. If you think his injury is not a factor in his play you must be crazy. It is obvious he has lost a quick first step and he used to get fouled a lot more than he did because his strength is driving to the basket. When you have the foot issue that he has the first thing it takes away is the ability to drive. I cannot believe we are the fan base who think the team is not even trying. I think the team is trying i just think we are not that talented, have below average coaching and injuries AGAIN have killed us.
    JOB is a silly man

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've said it for the longest Danny's not a leader type he's Pippen..... he's a Pippen type player, his whole mentality, style, the way he carries himself. And Pippen was not a leader, Danny might be Batman but we need a Superman for this team. Superman runs the Justice League not Batman. So now we need to find Superman...........oh and I think AJ will take some of the pressure off Danny once he gets the reigns to this team. AJ is a playmaker who can create for himself as well and shoot the 3.

*EDIT* think about it Danny's nickname is Batman. Batman's a loner, he'll team up if you need him but he'd prefer to be on his own.
    Last edited by sportfireman; 02-01-2010 at 11:32 AM.

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's not a leader. He's not a lead by example guy. He's not a vocal leader. He's not a person who holds others accountable. He's not a team first guy. He doesn't facilitate for the betterment of the team. He's not the guy to make everyone around him better. What he is, is a square peg pounded into a round hole. He's had the "team leader" mantle thrust on his shoulders and it doesn't fit. I don't know that there is a guy that will be allowed to be the leader on this team. I don't think the new hires or the rookies have enough clout the fill the void. Jack did it last year. That's why they need, and have needed since Reggie retired, a strong veteran presence in the locker room...My .02...
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Mike Wells has said earlier in the year that if Roy wasn't a 2nd year player, he'd be our leader. I think Roy will grow into that role as he gains the respect of a veteran player in the coming years.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not really in the "he doesn't care; no fire" camp with Danny. I tend to lean more towards the "he's not 100% physically and is covering it up and limping out there trying to do something, but he's just not 100%" camp.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Honestly, I subscribe to the theory that Granger is very displeased with Obie and is taking crap shots to spite his system. I don't think he's lost confidence in himself, but I do think he's lost confidence in Obie.
    I agree with this, except that he is not taking crap shots to spite the system. Taking crap shots is the system. I see nothing wrong with pushing the ball up the court, it may even lead to easy fast break points. But if those easy points aren't there don't just chuck a three. Do something that has a good chance of putting points on the board. I'm no coach, but a good post player, does wonders for this by either getting a high percentage shot, drawing a foul, or drawing a double team. Once the initial break isn't there, slow it down, work it inside out, force the other team to actually play defense. The longer they play defense the less time we have to play defense. If I can figure this stuff out, the players, i.e. Danny, can too, but if they want to play, they have to play the JOB way. That is where the frustration comes into play. Playing the JOB way, we have to be shooting the lights out to win. As simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP63 View Post
    He doesn't facilitate for the betterment of the team. He's not the guy to make everyone around him better. What he is, is a square peg pounded into a round hole. He's had the "team leader" mantle thrust on his shoulders and it doesn't fit. I don't know that there is a guy that will be allowed to be the leader on this team. I don't think the new hires or the rookies have enough clout the fill the void. Jack did it last year. That's why they need, and have needed since Reggie retired, a strong veteran presence in the locker room...My .02...
    Complete BS! He makes a ton of passes to wide open shooters off of the dribble drive and has done so since returning from the jury in December. Its the talent around the guy who can't hit an open jumper. He'd average 5 assists per game if his teammates could hit an open shot.

I will grant that he takes some ill advised bad shots, but every star player in this league does that, the real crux is that he isn't getting to the foul line like every other star in the league to make up for the bad shots.

Also he does take a ton of early three's, part of it is bad decision, part of it is bad coaches system, and 3rd part is teammates who can't finish around the basket in transition.

I remember it wasn't too long ago that people said they wouldn't trade Granger for Carmelo, or how Granger was easily comparable to a guy like Paul Pierce.

I hope people now see how good guys like that really are. Being a true star player in the NBA is as much a test of time as much as anything else, and guys like those two have been bringing it year after year from the very day they entered the league.

It's tough being that good for that long a time. When you get to that level, you're facing the other team's best defensive player, who relishes trying to stop you. You face double and triple teams. You're expected to play the big minutes and take all the big shots. You're expected to not miss games. You now face the expectations from the fans and media and you face it every night.

Granger is now in that situation where he's trying to at least maintain the level that he achieved last year, and it's tough. He's no longer the surprise guy who just burst onto the scene last year and became an all-star.

Now he's facing the burdens that perennial all-star players have face every single season. And it's not so easy. These guys reach a certain point where so much is expected from them that they get criticized for not being even better.