http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...er-dies-at-78/

Tom Brookshier dies at 78
Posted by Josh Alper on January 30, 2010 1:50 PM ET
Longtime Eagles defensive back and NFL broadcaster Tom Brookshier died Friday at the age of 78. Brookshier lost a battle with cancer.

Brookshier, one of seven Eagles to have his number retired, was a two-time All-Pro defensive back and played for the Eagles' 1960 championship squad. He spent all seven of his professional seasons, interrupted by a stint in the Air Force, with the Eagles and finished his career with 20 career interceptions.

After his playing days ended, Brookshier teamed with Pat Summerall on CBS's top broadcast team. The pair worked together for most of the 1970s on game broadcasts and also narrated the popular This Week in Football highlight show. He and Summerall parted ways when John Madden was elevated to the top team in 1981, but Brookshier remained with the network until 1987. Most of Brookshier's career was before my time as a football watcher, but I've heard people speak highly of his work on several occasions.

Eagles coach Andy Reid shared his thoughts on Brookshier in a statement released by the team.

"Tom Brookshier is one of all-time greats, both for what he did on the field and for the kind of man he was off the field. I will always remember him for his booming and bright personality. He had an uncanny love for life, a love for his family and a love for the game of football, especially for the Philadelphia Eagles. He bled green and I will always cherish our conversations and the relationship that we fostered throughout my tenure in Philadelphia."

Our condolences go out to Brookshier's friends and family.