Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Results 176 to 197 of 197

Thread: Mike Wells blog on JOB's decision making

  1. #176

    Default Re: Mike Wells blog on JOB's decision making

    We did not pay Carlisle after he was fired, he did Bird a favor by having Assistant Vice president added to his name. After he was fired Carlisle did not stay on as A.V.P.

    This team has no chemistry.

    JO'B has lost the team. I'm not sure he could get the Lakers above .500

    The only games we will win the rest of the year are against teams below .500 and maybe a few above .500 (barely) if we are at home.

    We suck, truly the only player on this team to make progress this year is Hibbert. McBob has not been given enough minutes.

    Play the starters on the road one qtr., 24 minutes maximum. Play them more at home to appease the fans. It's not tanking it's giving young guys a chance to prove themselves.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

  2. #177

    Default Re: Mike Wells blog on JOB's decision making

    Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We did not pay Carlisle after he was fired, he did Bird a favor by having Assistant Vice president added to his name. After he was fired Carlisle did not stay on as A.V.P.

    This team has no chemistry.

    JO'B has lost the team. I'm not sure he could get the Lakers above .500

    The only games we will win the rest of the year are against teams below .500 and maybe a few above .500 (barely) if we are at home.

    We suck, truly the only player on this team to make progress this year is Hibbert. McBob has not been given enough minutes.

    Play the starters on the road one qtr., 24 minutes maximum. Play them more at home to appease the fans. It's not tanking it's giving young guys a chance to prove themselves.
    I think the fans WANT to see the younger guys.

  3. #178
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,496

    Default Re: Mike Wells blog on JOB's decision making

    Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only games we will win the rest of the year are against teams below .500 and maybe a few above .500 (barely) if we are at home.
    I've not examined the remaining schedule closely but typically we'll meet some teams tanking at the end trying to improve their own draft position. So that could be a real battle royale seeing which team wants to lose more. Or we could try and beat a team that's not trying to win and claim it's for 'momentum' for next season.. to end the season on a positive note.

    And then there will be the teams with nothing to play for resting vets in a meaningless game against the Pacers down the stretch. Once again, we'd have the option of trying to beat a team that's not really trying to win and claiming it's for pride or momentum next season.

    But considering the coaching and state of the franchise right now I have faith we can run the table.... and lose to everyone....
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  4. #179
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,204

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mike Wells blog on JOB's decision making

    We couldn't beat the Washington Generals with the rotation that played tonight.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  6. #180
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,256

    Default Re: Mike Wells blog on JOB's decision making

    Does anybody else find it funny that Denari and Kellogg both were saying that the Blazers had to go out and get Camby because they need another big.

    I kept thinking to myself, well why? I mean couldn't they just play Aldridge at center and then play Webster and Fernandez at the 4? Then I realized I had seen Jim O'Brien coached teams for so long that I had actually forgotten that getting size and an inside presence is actually part of winning.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  8. #181
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,397

    Default Re: Mike Wells blog on JOB's decision making

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anybody else find it funny that Denari and Kellogg both were saying that the Blazers had to go out and get Camby because they need another big.

    I kept thinking to myself, well why?
    Mainly because it's more worthwhile for a playoff bound team to get some depth up front.

    If they were tanking it, then yeah, you'd probably be seeing Webster or whatever else they had playing the 4. Notice that most tanking teams don't use the trade deadline to address needs that might actually help them win games in the current season.

  9. #182
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,748

    Default Re: Mike Wells blog on JOB's decision making

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anybody else find it funny that Denari and Kellogg both were saying that the Blazers had to go out and get Camby because they need another big.

    I kept thinking to myself, well why? I mean couldn't they just play Aldridge at center and then play Webster and Fernandez at the 4? Then I realized I had seen Jim O'Brien coached teams for so long that I had actually forgotten that getting size and an inside presence is actually part of winning.
    Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mainly because it's more worthwhile for a playoff bound team to get some depth up front.

    If they were tanking it, then yeah, you'd probably be seeing Webster or whatever else they had playing the 4. Notice that most tanking teams don't use the trade deadline to address needs that might actually help them win games in the current season.
    Peck, you need to think about this differently. No team can win with Troy Murphy at center. That's a good thing. If we won tonight, we would have had the 6th worst record with only half a game between us and the 9th worst record. Could you imagine going through this entire season and then getting the 9th best pick? Instead, we lost, stayed at #4 and retained about 20% chance at either Evan Turner or John Wall. Disgusting? Yes. Practical? Yes.

  10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:


  11. #183
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    4,969

    Default Re: Mike Wells blog on JOB's decision making

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peck, you need to think about this differently. No team can win with Troy Murphy at center. That's a good thing. If we won tonight, we would have had the 6th worst record with only half a game between us and the 9th worst record. Could you imagine going through this entire season and then getting the 9th best pick? Instead, we lost, stayed at #4 and retained about 20% chance at either Evan Turner or John Wall. Disgusting? Yes. Practical? Yes.
    I'm not getting mad anymore by the losses. I just hate that the young guys don't get more minutes. I'm sure the JOB is trying to lose games with his lineups, and he is stupid cause he's being quite obvious about it.

    I don't like purposely losing and I'm sure that's why the players have lost all respect for JOB. They'd probably still lose the games anyhow without trying to lose. Bird truly does need to fire him in the off season and get a coach and develops young guys.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  12. #184
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,650

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mike Wells blog on JOB's decision making

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peck, you need to think about this differently. No team can win with Troy Murphy at center. That's a good thing. If we won tonight, we would have had the 6th worst record with only half a game between us and the 9th worst record. Could you imagine going through this entire season and then getting the 9th best pick? Instead, we lost, stayed at #4 and retained about 20% chance at either Evan Turner or John Wall. Disgusting? Yes. Practical? Yes.
    I'll say this slowly and carefully.

    If anyone is hinging their future on us getting a top 3 pick, they are setting themselves up for failure.

    We'll finish no better than 4th with the 7th pick, as other teams get the lottery balls to fall.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  13. #185
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: Mike Wells blog on JOB's decision making

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not getting mad anymore by the losses. I just hate that the young guys don't get more minutes. I'm sure the JOB is trying to lose games with his lineups, and he is stupid cause he's being quite obvious about it.

    I don't like purposely losing and I'm sure that's why the players have lost all respect for JOB. They'd probably still lose the games anyhow without trying to lose. Bird truly does need to fire him in the off season and get a coach and develops young guys.
    JOB is not trying to lose. He's trying to win.

    He was using the same weird lineups in the first half of the season.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  14. #186

    Default Re: Mike Wells blog on JOB's decision making

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've not examined the remaining schedule closely but typically we'll meet some teams tanking at the end trying to improve their own draft position. So that could be a real battle royale seeing which team wants to lose more. Or we could try and beat a team that's not trying to win and claim it's for 'momentum' for next season.. to end the season on a positive note.

    And then there will be the teams with nothing to play for resting vets in a meaningless game against the Pacers down the stretch. Once again, we'd have the option of trying to beat a team that's not really trying to win and claiming it's for pride or momentum next season.

    But considering the coaching and state of the franchise right now I have faith we can run the table.... and lose to everyone....

    The last game is against Washington, and it could turnout to be a game that the winner loses a draft position with the win. Deja vu Milwaukee last year.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:


  16. #187

    Default Re: Mike Wells blog on JOB's decision making

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sort of related...but listening to one of the SacTown radio shows when the Murphy SacTown rumor started....the SportGuy said that Murphy is the prototypical type of Big Man that Geoff Petrie likes to have on his team. Think Vlade, Miller and Spencer Hawes. I doubt that any legit talks went beyond offering Kenny Thomas for Murphy....cuz ( as you suggest ) if it was more...the Pacers SHOULD have been all over that deal in a second. More then likely.....it was some deal including Beno....which is a no-no.

    Just pure speculation....but with the apparent rift between Hawes and Wesphalt that occured recently....I'd hope that the Pacers FO revisits sending Murphy to SacTown in the summer...possibly to swap down in the draft while sending Murphy for a Trade Exception and maybe Hawes.

    I would love the Pacers to revisit that trade, but I want GREENE!

    My guess Nocioni is someone they would love to unload more than Udrih, b/c Beno plays where Nocioni seldom does. Their contracts are the same length and money wise.

  17. #188
    Member odeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    3,776

    Default Re: Mike Wells blog on JOB's decision making

    I don't know what else can be added to this thread...

    I will start with Hibbert, he should be starting, period. I know foul trouble is a problem with him, but he is going to have to learn to play without fouling. He has gotten much better at this over the last two seasons. So let him play and take even 10 of those outside shots the team chucks and feed the big man, let him put some pressure on the opposing teams' bigs. He needs more touches!

    JOB decision making, especially surrounding starting Troy at the 5... I have nothing to say... it has been well covered here that it makes no sense, so I will leave it at that.

    All that can be said is that losing is the best thing for us, so keep on make those decisions JOB!
    Last edited by odeez; 03-04-2010 at 11:19 AM.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

  18. #189
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,716

    Default Re: Mike Wells blog on JOB's decision making

    Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know foul trouble is a problem with [Hibbert], but he is going to have to learn to play without fouling.
    He's already learned it.

    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/roy_hi...ame_stats.html

    He's had five games with four or more fouls since January, and not fouled out once.

    He could get better at post defense, sure, but fouls are no longer keeping him off the court.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  19. #190

    Default Re: Mike Wells blog on JOB's decision making

    I'm obviously a bit confused. Hibbert did start against the Lakers on Tuesday. Murphy started at the 4 and Hibbert at the 5. Right? I don't get this

  20. #191

    Default Re: Mike Wells blog on JOB's decision making

    Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm obviously a bit confused. Hibbert did start against the Lakers on Tuesday. Murphy started at the 4 and Hibbert at the 5. Right? I don't get this
    He's started once out of the past four games, and only started against the Lakers because the Lakers are so big.

    Jimmy's going with small ball. Earl, TJ, Rush, Danny, Troy...good chance only one of those players will be here next season.

  21. #192
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: Mike Wells blog on JOB's decision making

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    fouls are no longer keeping him off the court.
    You're wrong about that.

    2 fouls keeps him off the court in the first quarter. 3 fouls in the second quarter and 4 fouls the rest of the game.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  22. #193
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,650

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mike Wells blog on JOB's decision making

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're wrong about that.

    2 fouls keeps him off the court in the first quarter. 3 fouls in the second quarter and 4 fouls the rest of the game.
    The first two of those are pretty much the standard for any other team in the league. I'm not sure there's any advantage in saying someone we think is the top big guy on the team should be playing in the first quarter with 2 fouls or the second quarter with 3 fouls.

    The last, I don't think it is the fouls that sit him now because he doesn't get pulled as soon as he makes a 4th foul any more. He is being inserted and pulled based on who is on the floor in most recent games (I can't speak for Lakers or Portland, can't stay up that late).
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  23. #194
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: Mike Wells blog on JOB's decision making

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The first two of those are pretty much the standard for any other team in the league. I'm not sure there's any advantage in saying someone we think is the top big guy on the team should be playing in the first quarter with 2 fouls or the second quarter with 3 fouls.

    The last, I don't think it is the fouls that sit him now because he doesn't get pulled as soon as he makes a 4th foul any more. He is being inserted and pulled based on who is on the floor in most recent games (I can't speak for Lakers or Portland, can't stay up that late).
    I can't prove it, but I think JOB jumps up and down with glee in his innards when Roy gets that second and third foul.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  24. #195
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,716

    Default Re: Mike Wells blog on JOB's decision making

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2 fouls keeps him off the court in the first quarter. 3 fouls in the second quarter and 4 fouls the rest of the game.
    Dude, follow the link. Since January, he's had 8 games where he had 3 fouls or fewer for the entire game. One game with 4 fouls, four games with five, and none with 6.

    I agree that you sit the kid if he picks up 2 fouls in the first quarter, but overall it's not his high foul numbers that are holding him back.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  25. #196
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,256

    Default Re: Mike Wells blog on JOB's decision making

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dude, follow the link. Since January, he's had 8 games where he had 3 fouls or fewer for the entire game. One game with 4 fouls, four games with five, and none with 6.

    I agree that you sit the kid if he picks up 2 fouls in the first quarter, but overall it's not his high foul numbers that are holding him back.
    Your missing his point.

    He is claiming that JOB is using any excuse to keep Roy off of the floor.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  27. #197
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,716

    Default Re: Mike Wells blog on JOB's decision making

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your missing his point.

    He is claiming that JOB is using any excuse to keep Roy off of the floor.
    Ah.

    Well regardless of whose excuse it is, it's a stupid excuse. It's reading last year's script. Roy has not really had many foul problems this year. Certainly nothing beyond the norm for a second-year player.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Brandon Rush to be benched? (Mike Wells blog)
    By Trophy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 11-21-2009, 12:34 AM
  2. couple of mike wells' articles on tinsley, trading
    By wintermute in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 07-28-2008, 07:32 PM
  3. Tbird analysis: Making the case for Mike Montgomery for next IU basketball coach
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 05:30 PM
  4. Really good article about Mike Brown
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 12:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •