Thread: Mike Wells blog on JOB's decision making

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Mike Wells blog on JOB's decision making

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only rational reason I can think of for Obie's behavior is this:

Gee, I know Kegboy hasn't been watching Pacer games, he's busy with all his video games and TV shows and what not. And then he's got the Boilers too. I'd hate for him to feel guilty about not making time for us, so I'm just going do the stupidest **** I can, so tomorrow morning he can say to himself, "Thank god I didn't watch that game."
    Hey, I've been meaning to ask you for quite a while now. I have been a proud member of the Dark Side like you recommended long ago, and this question has been eating away at me for nearly as long as I have been here.

Where are the freakin' cookies, man? I have looked and looked, and I just can't find them. YOU PROMISED!

It is hard to disagree with any of the criticisms, but in the interest of equal time, getting 3 All-Stars on the Celtics squad made Doc Rivers look like a great coach.

No matter how you slice it, it is still bologna.

Who are we kidding ourselves. The more JOB loses games, the higher pick we'll more than likely get. Isn't that the point. Also, the more JOB loses and looks like a complete idiot, the more I think Bird will tell JOB to go away for awhile before eventually buying him out too.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I agree last night should have called for Starting Roy on Bynum and Danny on Gasol, bringing Troy off the bench. Obie won't do this though, I guess it's a veteran respect thing for Troy, which still doesn't make sense. So who knows.
    There you go again, trying to make simple sense out of JOS's actions.

What about veteran respect for Dunleavy? He doesn't start.

What about veteran respect for TJ? He was exiled.

What about veteran respect for Dahntay? He's been in/out of the doghouse.

Nope. The veteran respect thing does not hold water. JOS has a strange obscession for Murphy as a basketball player. HE REALLY THINKS MURPH NEEDS TO BE ON THE FLOOR MOST OF THE GAME. It does NOT make sense. JOS is a mystery.
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 01-28-2010 at 11:30 AM.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Let me say this, I was giving us (PD) props last night watching the game. Cuz we said a long time ago Murphy and Roy can't play together and be as effective. I think that is what Obie needs to say and quit talking about small ball.

Whether he knows it or not, I think Obie is right to not necessarily play small ball, but do two components of it.

1.) not play Roy and Troy together.
    2.) Get Granger some minutes at PF when match ups dictate.

Getting Granger mins at PF allows you to compensate for missing Jeff and Hansbrough and play D Jones and Dunleavy more.

So maybe not small ball, but adjustment ball.
    Regarding the rest of your excellent post . . .

Yes. JOS is slowly getting around, through the back door, of making the right adjustments.

I would like to have seen Roy and Solo on the floor together last night. Why do we NEVER see that combination? For that matter, why not Roy and McBob?

I know the answer, but I guess what we are all saying is that the evidence is in that we need to experiment with two big men line ups other than Roy and Troy. JOS has certainly tried every other combination.

It's amazing how stubborn he is. You know, if Foster was around, we'd be thinking that Solo and McBob sit because Foster is available.

But that ain't it, folks.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

7. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Solo is more of a center than Murphy is.

McRoberts is more of a center than Murphy is.

Hell, I'm staring to think Danny Granger is more of a center than Murphy is. I'd wager Danny is stronger, more willing to fight, and has a longer wingspan than Troy. I know he guards the post better on PFs than Troy.

*edit*

And I surely start Roy Hibbert over Troy Murphy 10 times out of 10. One is blatantly a center, and one is blatantly not. It's not about Roy stopping or not stopping Bynum.

By the logic of "no one would stop him, so what does it matter", why not start an even smaller player if it "doesn't matter"? If you've decided you're defensively screwed, why not start a swingman since you're only concern is the offensive mismatch?

Which, by the way, isn't as much of one as you'd think when you consider that Troy is an extremely low threat to drive on anybody.

And as for "Roy would just get in foul trouble", he played his usual minutes in the first half, and had exactly one foul, as I recall. This isn't last season; Roy isn't a guaranteed quick two fouls anymore. He's gotten a lot better at that.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Regarding the rest of your excellent post . . .

Yes. JOS is slowly getting around, through the back door, of making the right adjustments.

I would like to have seen Roy and Solo on the floor together last night. Why do we NEVER see that combination? For that matter, why not Roy and McBob?

I know the answer, but I guess what we are all saying is that the evidence is in that we need to experiment with two big men line ups other than Roy and Troy. JOS has certainly tried every other combination.

It's amazing how stubborn he is. You know, if Foster was around, we'd be thinking that Solo and McBob sit because Foster is available.

But that ain't it, folks.
    I have no idea. Solo and Roy would seem to compliment each other, to me. They both can have bouts of bad bad plays, but also offer a nice compliment of defense/offense.

The rim would be protected better too.

Solo can hit the 15 footer, ala, Udonis Haslem.

Obie has said basically that Solo isn't really a Center but a PF.

I don't understand really what the downside is that is so bad to not have EVER tried it.

If you played Bosh/Bargnani every night, I'd guess it's not doable, but otherwise against most match ups you have to be better defensively.

I think the current school of thought is one BIG and 4 shooters, which I guess the flaw to me is that Murphy isn't a BIG, he should be in that shooter category. I'm rambling....

In short, I don't know, but why not try it.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post

is this guy stubborn or what?..............

How could you be confused about O'Brien being stubborn? There is a reason for the coined name Janes O'Stubborn. His stubbornness to be right about his coaching philosophy causes a horrible case of tunnel vision.

Stubborn? I don't disagree, but where does 18 starting line ups fit into the stubborn persona?

Stubborn? I don't disagree, but where does 18 starting line ups fit into the stubborn persona?
    his stubbornness over the efficacy of troy murphy.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

I have no idea. Solo and Roy would seem to compliment each other, to me. They both can have bouts of bad bad plays, but also offer a nice compliment of defense/offense.

The rim would be protected better too.

Solo can hit the 15 footer, ala, Udonis Haslem.

Obie has said basically that Solo isn't really a Center but a PF.

I don't understand really what the downside is that is so bad to not have EVER tried it.

If you played Bosh/Bargnani every night, I'd guess it's not doable, but otherwise against most match ups you have to be better defensively.

I think the current school of thought is one BIG and 4 shooters, which I guess the flaw to me is that Murphy isn't a BIG, he should be in that shooter category. I'm rambling....

In short, I don't know, but why not try it.
    i asked conrad brunner about this at some point
    something about we'd be too slow or something. i dont quite remember.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

He's never not started Murph, except due to injury.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Solo is more of a center than Murphy is.

McRoberts is more of a center than Murphy is.

Hell, I'm staring to think Danny Granger is more of a center than Murphy is. I'd wager Danny is stronger, more willing to fight, and has a longer wingspan than Troy. I know he guards the post better on PFs than Troy.

*edit*

And I surely start Roy Hibbert over Troy Murphy 10 times out of 10. One is blatantly a center, and one is blatantly not. It's not about Roy stopping or not stopping Bynum.

By the logic of "no one would stop him, so what does it matter", why not start an even smaller player if it "doesn't matter"? If you've decided you're defensively screwed, why not start a swingman since you're only concern is the offensive mismatch?

Which, by the way, isn't as much of one as you'd think when you consider that Troy is an extremely low threat to drive on anybody.

And as for "Roy would just get in foul trouble", he played his usual minutes in the first half, and had exactly one foul, as I recall. This isn't last season; Roy isn't a guaranteed quick two fouls anymore. He's gotten a lot better at that.
    You are acting like Troy played the whole game. Troy played 27 minutes and Roy actually played more minutes with 28. The game was not lost in the first half, btw. Do you actually believe the Pacers would have beaten the Lakers if Roy had started? How many minutes do you think Roy is capable of playing? You act like he is getting 5 minutes a game.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Please note Hibbert got abused by Bynum as well, so it isn't like starting Roy would have put us in the lead. Honestly, don't you think that being within 3 at the half against the Lakers would be a positive thing?

Everyone screams "defense sucks, defense sucks" when we lose a game like this, but the turning point was when the OFFENSE went back to its old habits of bricking long 2s and 3s as if that was the only way to score. The small lineup was actually working offensively when people were worming their way into the lane or at least into mid-range.

My disclaimer - I want Roy on the floor for his offense. I want the team to stop thinking the way to win is to throw up a long-range shot. Both of these things can certainly be placed at the feet of the coach. BUT the focus everyone has that somehow we were destined to lose the game because of the starting lineup makes me wonder if they really watched the first 2-1/2 quarters of the game.
    I agree 100%

Banned

Nope. The veteran respect thing does not hold water. JOS has a strange obscession for Murphy as a basketball player. HE REALLY THINKS MURPH NEEDS TO BE ON THE FLOOR MOST OF THE GAME. It does NOT make sense. JOS is a mystery.
    Plain or salted crackers?

You might actualy want to watch the game before throwing out the same parrotting bs. I guess you did not know or understand that Roy actually played 28 minutes to Troy's 27. So saying JOB plays Troy the whole game is plain old bs.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBGoode View Post
    You might actualy want to watch the game before throwing out the same parrotting bs. I guess you did not know or understand that Roy actually played 28 minutes to Troy's 27. So saying JOB plays Troy the whole game is plain old bs.
    It's generally true.

Last night, Roy did not play during important stretches in the second half. He played the garbage time in the last 3.5 minutes. Troy got more real minutes.

I guess I'd say this, I do see Murphy's offensive value. I actually think he's played well and is a distinct weapon. I mean I can see why Murphy is liked by the coach. He's essentially been the 2nd or 3rd best player on the team this year.

Now with that said, he is a liability guarding starting caliber PFs and starting caliber Cs. The combo of him and Roy, who is not a defensive stopper either, is well, frontcourt defensive poison.

So, what do you do? Well you start Roy with a defensive minded true PF. This isn't an epiphany we've talked about the next Davis for years now.

So, what can you do right now? Well do we like Murphy as a gunner on offense and a back up PF/C guarding the other teams back up PF/C's?

I'd like to see Roy with Jeff (out), with Tyler (out), that leaves you Danny. I'd be perfectly fine with Danny and Roy starting PF/C. With Murphy and Solo coming off the bench, if it's a smaller PF I'd put McBob with Murphy, since McBob is more athletic and more likely to guard a perimeter type PF.

This allows you to put Murphy with a player who absolutely doesn't need shots, allows him to guard a back up player or at the least a tired starting player.

It allows Danny to be encouraged to drive to the basket against a bigger player instead of jacking up 3s.

It allows Roy to grow and get minutes against front line centers or even teach him how to deal with exploiting PFs posing as Centers in today's NBA.

It allows Solo to get on the court or McBob for that matter and focus on defense and rebounding or if not those things it let's them be role players, which is really what they are right now.

When/if Tyler and Jeff come back you plug them right into that McBob/ Solo rotation slot and you are even better.

So, what now with the second unit with the Dunleavy/Murphy defensive history. They'll be okay actually, they'll be playing against back ups or starters who have been playing several mins already.

I'm not pretending to have the answers here, but I think this makes sense, except Obie wont' bring Murphy off the bench...

Where is the downside?
    Last edited by Speed; 01-28-2010 at 12:37 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    Hey, I've been meaning to ask you for quite a while now. I have been a proud member of the Dark Side like you recommended long ago, and this question has been eating away at me for nearly as long as I have been here.

Where are the freakin' cookies, man? I have looked and looked, and I just can't find them. YOU PROMISED!
    Cookies? I don't know what you're talking about.

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Banned

It's generally true.

Last night, Roy did not play during important stretches in the second half. He played the garbage time in the last 3.5 minutes. Troy got more real minutes.
    Oh come on, you are better than this. One of these days you are going to run out of straws to grasp.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Cookies? I don't know what you're talking about.

I also did not sign a release for you to use real life images of me on here, either, o' bearer of all lesser-illuminated wisdom and truth. Where are your hidden cameras located here on the Dark Side? I swear, that "banana" looks just like me .

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBGoode View Post
    You are acting like Troy played the whole game. Troy played 27 minutes and Roy actually played more minutes with 28. The game was not lost in the first half, btw. Do you actually believe the Pacers would have beaten the Lakers if Roy had started? How many minutes do you think Roy is capable of playing? You act like he is getting 5 minutes a game.
    First of all, this isn't about "could we have beaten the Lakers."

Secondly, I believe Troy at the center is a stupid decision 99.9% of the time if not 100% of the time, so it offends me as a fan of the game to see him get the starting role when we have a perfectly legitimate center on the team who is going to do at least as good of a job, if not a better one. Put your best foot forward. That's not Troy. That's Roy.

Why not start Dunleavy over Granger as long as Danny gets his 36 minutes per game, right? Sounds silly, doesn't it?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Oops I forgot about Solo - yeah he would have defended their bigs better, but then you give up a lot on the offensive end and the offense did keep it close for 24 minutes. Bottom line this roster is not built to beat the lakers

Bottom line is this roster isn't built to beat very many teams, period!

In defense of Jimmy , the Lakers have 3 big men who average 8 or more rebounds per game. That's hard for any team to compete with let alone with the players the Pacers have available. The Pacers need more athletic players with length overall and one with power to go along with those attributes. Hopefully, Bird sees the samething and will look for players that fit that as description in the draft and thru trades. Otherwise, next season will be just another re-run of the last 3 seasons.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

I've liked the Roy/Mac combo every time they've been on the floor together.

UB's not wrong when he says this team just isn't going to beat the Lakers very often if at all, no matter who's in the starting lineup. Still, it's hard to believe the game would have gone any worse.

It's not really about O'Brien any more. At this point, it's on Bird to trade Murphy and remove the temptation.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    It's not really about O'Brien any more. At this point, it's on Bird to trade Murphy and remove the temptation.
    If your coach can't resist such temptations, it is time to remove the coach as well.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Does O'Brien have a son? If not, maybe Murphy is the son he never had.

Have you ever known someone who is so stubborn they would cut off their nose to spite their face? Jimmy's stubborness about his style of play will be the reason he never will be a NBA head coach again after he leaves the Pacers. His tunnel vision about his system will be his downfall.