Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lakers postgame

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Lakers postgame

Is it just me, or does it seem like, game after game, Roy comes in and we go on a run? Roy goes out and we lose steam.

Once in a while its the opposite, but it seems to go the way I said most of the time, game after game.

Against the Lakers, Roy had the best plus/minus. Murphy the worst.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Default Re: Lakers postgame

When Roy's playing well, it's pretty true, unless of course Troy is in the game with him. Then the other team goes on a run.

I don't think the sky is falling after this. Kobe missed like one shot..and Rush did as good of a job as anyone could defending him..he's just Kobe Bryant. And when that happens..a team like the Pacers loses pretty badly.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Omg, im gonna kill something. Haven't been on here in forever but i was inspired to get on and rant at the disgrace tonight. Tonight is the loudest i have heard conseco in a pretty long time.... And it was MVP chants coming from all the laker fans. I was embarrassed and felt like it was a disgrace to have the home team out cheered by the away team, especially chants of MVP for a player. Im extremely frustrated.

*Props to Roy Hibbert, the only pacers to show up tonight.*

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ownagedood For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

we only got outrebounded by 20.

And Bynum and Gasol shot for ~66%.

yeah smallball!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MyFavMartin For This Useful Post:

What I've notice is that a typical NBA game has runs back and forth. So whoever starts and if the pacers fall behind as they typically do by 10-15 points, then it only makes sense that the Pacers will make a run and that often times happens when the bench comes in. The opponents let up. Teams makes runs back and forth. Our opponents put their bench into the game and unlike our opponents, our bench is as good as our starters and have been all season long.

My point is that there are many more factors going on then just whether Roy or Troy are in the game.

Tonights game it was just a matter of being outclassed at every position. The talent, experience, and know how advantage by the lakers at every position was striking. Lakers toyed with us for awhile and then turned it on for a few minutes and the game ws over - simple as that. lakers knew where our bad defense is its weakest and that is inside and they destroyed us
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-27-2010 at 10:26 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What I've notice is that a typical NBA game has runs back and forth. So whoever starts and if the pacers fall behind as they typically do by 10-15 points, then it only makes sense that the Pacers will make a run and that often times happens when the bench comes in. The opponents let up. Teams makes runs back and forth. Our opponents put their bench into the game and unlike our opponents, our bench is as good as our starters and have been all season long.

My point is that there are many more factors going on then just whether Roy or Troy are in the game.
    Maybe so.

I'm getting tired of fighting it. I feel like I'm in a dream or a deja vu.

Just give me morphine.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    Omg, im gonna kill something. Haven't been on here in forever but i was inspired to get on and rant at the disgrace tonight. Tonight is the loudest i have heard conseco in a pretty long time.... And it was MVP chants coming from all the laker fans. I was embarrassed and felt like it was a disgrace to have the home team out cheered by the away team, especially chants of MVP for a player. Im extremely frustrated.

*Props to Roy Hibbert, the only pacers to show up tonight.*
    I don't think JOB think the same thing, according to Lee on the radio Jim said that Roy did not play a good game tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I don't think JOB think the same thing, according to Lee on the radio Jim said that Roy did not play a good game tonight.
    Up is down. Down is up.

Roy is bad. Troy is good.

Fast is slow. Long is short.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Maybe so.

I'm getting tired of fighting it. I feel like I'm in a dream or a deja vu.

Just give me morphine.
    Found out that Bayer discovered heroin today by acetylating morphine and even touted it as a drug to help kick your morphine habit.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MyFavMartin For This Useful Post:

Mood

Oh, and we shot 25% for 3PTers, of which we hoisted 28.

Yeah, smallball!

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Roy tied for best plus minus on team at -3. Murphy with a team worst -26. Its not always an accurate gauge for one game, but with Murphy dead last for the season, the pattern continues.

And how much you wanna bet we see murphy start the next game at center and hear JOB reiterate that the small lineup with Troy at center is our best lineup, when according to the ACTUAL stats, The small lineup with ROY at center is our best lineup.

At least Roy played as many minutes as Troy tonight, but JOB needs to pull his had out of his *** and bring Troy Murphy off the bench, for no more than 20 minutes per game, for the rest of the season. As many on this forum have advocated... FOR MONTHS. but that won't happen, a trade will be our only saving grace.

JOB's solution? If Roy proves he should be starting, he will just start them together... which has consistently proven to be one of our WORST lineups.

JOB will never bring Troy Murphy off the bench, no matter what it seems. I don't care about Troy's feelings, grow a pair, do whats best for the team, stop overusing Troy. Otherwise, for GODS SAKE PLEASE LET HIM BE TRADED.

The only saving grace is the continued improvement of our draft position. Thank you Jim. If you deliver us Wall or Turner, I may take back everything bad I ever said about you.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Roy's offense ws very good tonight, but his defense was not good at all, so lets not let him of the hook.

I want to see a quote from JOB saying that our best lineup is our small lineup with Troy as the big guy. I don't think he has ever said that

100% REAL, 0% OF THE TIME the jaddler's Avatar

Tonights game it was just a matter of being outclassed at every position. The talent, experience, and know how advantage by the lakers at every position was striking. Lakers toyed with us for awhile and then turned it on for a few minutes and the game ws over - simple as that. lakers knew where our bad defense is its weakest and that is inside and they destroyed us
    well said.....
    I CANT SPELL!

THERE ARE THOSE THAT HAVE AND THOSE THAT WILL!

The man is certifiable.. and his beloved plus minus stat bears this out.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    Oh, and we shot 25% for 3PTers, of which we hoisted 28.

Yeah, smallball!
    Half of which was WIDE OPEN. You CANT miss the easy shots and win in this league.

Roy's offense ws very good tonight, but his defense was not good at all, so lets not let him of the hook
    Well, I can acknowledge that Bynum had his way with Roy (and also with Troy).

But I wouldn't say he played bad defense. It was pretty good. Bynum was just unstoppable.

Whatever the case, Roy played in such a way that his plus/minus was -3, the highest on the team, and Troy's was -26.

I see lots of reasons why Roy continually has a much higher plus/minus: his presence down low creates open shots on the perimeter, his height causes shots to be altered, and passes to him down low from penetrators turn into easy shots. I imagine his attitude is a factor as well.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Roy's offense ws very good tonight, but his defense was not good at all, so lets not let him of the hook.

I want to see a quote from JOB saying that our best lineup is our small lineup with Troy as the big guy. I don't think he has ever said that

There is a whole thread dedicated to that subject.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=50356

I am not saying Roy did not struggle with Bynum defensively, but Troy was even worse, why does this always go ignored in favor of piling on and blaming our promising young players? When we lose JOB blames the young guys, and lets the vets off the hook.. and he seems to have a similar viewpoint when it comes to playing time.

The plus minus also bears out the entire team was playing better with Roy on the floor.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 01-27-2010 at 10:42 PM.

- ilive4sports

He said the small line up was our best. And he started the small line up tonight with Troy. Doesn't that sort of communicate it?

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Outclassed obviously, but my take-away came in the post-game show.

While JOb is touting small-ball as the best way to win, he is getting closer to the truth....maybe by accident.

He believes small ball helps his offense. Well, it helps this particular team win but not offensively. While it could not be done down the stretch effectively against the much bigger Lakers, it worked against the 76ers.

Now, why is that?

Small ball helps our defense considerably when Granger is at the 4. Not a perfect place for him, but when he spends time there...D Jones and Rush can cover the swing positions greatly improving our defense. The proof is that we kept the 76ers under 100 points...only the 3rd time this month. The same thing happened during the infamous, stupendous, tremendous 5 game winning streak earlier this year. The defense is simply better when you have Granger at the 4 instead of T-Roy covering the front court. It really is that simple....yet JOb continues to think his offense is where he's seeing the improvement.

Love is blind you know.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

O'Brien's press conference which they showed the whole thing on TV - it was very short- just said that the alkers scored easily on Troy and Roy, and that Bynam scored well on our big. At no time did Jim say that Roy had a bad game - but he certainly implied that Roy's defense wasn't good as the pacers whole team's defense wasn't good. Jim was not happy about the pacers defense - he seems as his wits end

He said the small line up was our best. And he started the small line up tonight with Troy. Doesn't that sort of communicate it?
    No, because the decision that Jim has made is to go small and that means either Troy or Roy at center - that is what I think he means and I think that is demonstarted by the lineups he employs

Bottom line, this team is not very good. So I would not get overly excited over the coach
    or players as both leave a lot to be desired. Pacers have a ways to go to be good and
    in the playoffs. Find some joy in what you can with someone on the team. Peace.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

The puzzle pieces should start coming together for everyone. I really hope JOb starts getting it before the end of the year.

With this team, small ball is the way to go...but not with Troy in the paint. I'm not sold on Hibbert either, but he's a better option for the 5. I would actually experiment with McBob at the 5 and see just how fast they could get down the floor. The fact is, McBob can defend the C position just fine against half the centers in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    There is a whole thread dedicated to that subject.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=50356

I am not saying Roy did not struggle with Bynum defensively, but Troy was even worse, why does this always go ignored [bin favor of piling on and blaming our promising young players? When we lose JOB blames the young guys, and lets the vets off the hook.. and he seems to have a similar viewpoint when it comes to playing time.

The plus minus also bears out the entire team was playing better with Roy on the floor.
    are you joking? Murphy's defense is never being ignored. His one-on-one defense is beyond horrible - everyone knows that though

Up is down. Down is up.

Roy is bad. Troy is good.

Fast is slow. Long is short.
    Then, frankly, **** his hypocritical ***. To hell with him.