Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 78

Thread: iPad

  1. #26
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: iPad

    Looks like a big "no thanks" for me.

  2. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: iPad

    I feel like this is a case of apple not using R and D but rather using the early adapters as the test market.

    I do think this could be interesting (I personally think this, along with the kindle, may do away with backpacks for future generations).

    I read today in the Wall Street Journal that the kindle was hoping to do that, but my generation (the ones currently in college) did not like having only a electronic copy and still enjoy the hard back version.

    I do think this can be a neat product, but it still has a long way to go before it gets any interest from me.

  3. #28
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,443

    Default Re: iPad

    Sounds like lots of people are underwhelmed by the Ipad. But what did you expect? Some new revolutionary device? Apple is all about digital lifestyle convergence. Every new product they release supports technology they have previously released. Ipod, Itunes, Ipod video, Ipod touch, iphone, App store, Ipad. All of them build off the prior. They've pretty much reached the saturation point hardware wise with the iphone, this Ipad just goes a bit further.

    I agree that is not innovative enough, but i'm not surprised. The real value will be the more fully featured apps you can buy this this machine, like E-magazine subscriptions.

    If I were designing the hardware, I would have added a fully fledged keyboard that slides down in landscape position, like a slider phone, and allows the screen to tilt up. Many phones on the market today have this. I'm not a fan of typing on the screen. If I have a big screen, I'd rather see the content i'm trying to access, not giant keyboards taking up half my screen. It would be better than the open and swivel and close functionality of the tablet PC's and more accessible than a net book, being that you can always be in tablet mode.

    Really what it should have been was the replacement to the niche market for the Macbook Air. Combine the two.

  4. #29

    Default Re: iPad

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This isn't a laptop. It's just a big iphone. It doesn't support flash, it doesn't support any useful programs, just "apps".

    The more I learn about this thing the more I dislike it.
    Ok, that's just unacceptable. Between lack of Flash, and multitasking, its over right there. I can accept my iPhone not having flash to an extent*, however something that's trying to pass itself off as something closer to a laptop .... that's just stupid.

    *My issue with the iPhone not having Flash, is that Flash has said they gave Apple the technology to activate Flash on iPhones a while ago. Apple just hasn't released it. So that makes it slightly annoying on my iPhone, but just absolutely unacceptable on the iPadWithWings. They're probably holding on to it to make a huge stink when the update for it comes out, to make another push for sales.

    -- Steve --

  5. #30
    The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Disgusta, GA
    Posts
    8,829
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: iPad

    Colbert said IPad narrowly edged out TamPod as the official name chosen by the marketing folks.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:


  7. #31
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: iPad

    Everybody who's been paying attention knew that Flash was a non-starter and has been for over a year. Flash on the iPad was simply not going to happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My issue with the iPhone not having Flash, is that Flash has said they gave Apple the technology to activate Flash on iPhones a while ago.
    Flash is WRETCHED. It's buggy as all-get-out, insecure, resource-intensive, and proprietary. It's not hard to understand why Apple doesn't want it running on their hardware... the #1 cause of crashes on the Mac is something they're not legally allowed to fix. I'm ridiculously hopeful that this will encourage people to stop using Flash and move to HTML5 instead. Gotta go cold turkey sometime... might as well be now.

    EDIT: Actually, forget I said anything and just read Gruber instead. This is pre-announcement, by the way:

    http://daringfireball.net/2010/01/apple_adobe_flash
    Last edited by Anthem; 01-29-2010 at 11:03 AM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  8. #32
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: iPad

    Yeah, not having flash is annoying, but I'm with Anthem that I'll be rooting for HTML5 to replace it.

    YouTube is flash, isn't it? Think they'll ever switch?

    I wish nba.com and pacers.com would.

  9. #33
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: iPad

    So I notice that on apple.com (as of yesterday; haven't looked today), they mention 3G without saying AT&T anywhere that I could see.

    Since the device isn't actually coming out with 3G for 3 months, maybe they're still trying to work something out with Verizon? That'd be huge if they could get that done.

  10. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: iPad

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, not having flash is annoying, but I'm with Anthem that I'll be rooting for HTML5 to replace it.

    YouTube is flash, isn't it? Think they'll ever switch?

    I wish nba.com and pacers.com would.
    I thought I heard youtube isn't flash.....

  11. #35
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: iPad

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, not having flash is annoying, but I'm with Anthem that I'll be rooting for HTML5 to replace it.

    YouTube is flash, isn't it? Think they'll ever switch?
    Already have.

    Youtube.com serves Flash normally, but if you like they'll serve everything as HTML5/H.264. Vimeo's started doing this too, supposedly.

    http://www.youtube.com/html5
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  12. #36
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: iPad

    IMO, I see this as a general 'around the house' utility computer. More to supplement the rest of the computing power I have around. As opposed to replacing my laptop or iPhone.

    For things like casual web-surfing on the couch, or a 'kitchen' computer (recipes, etc), to a morning newspaper replacement. Add in a couple of stands (refrigerator mount).

    Revolutionary? Not quite. But I do find it rather interesting.

    At $500 that could be fairly attractive.

    I would have really liked it if it had a camera - for video phone calls, and at least limited multitasking (like being able to to play iTunes while browsing).
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Doug For This Useful Post:


  14. #37
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: iPad

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would have really liked it if it had a camera - for video phone calls, and at least limited multitasking (like being able to to play iTunes while browsing).
    Apple's apps can multitask, it's everyone else's that can't. So it will play iTunes or fetch mail in the background, but there's no third-party apps that multitask.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  16. #38
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: iPad

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apple's apps can multitask, it's everyone else's that can't. So it will play iTunes or fetch mail in the background, but there's no third-party apps that multitask.
    And so they can. I got all caught up in the "It doesn't multi-task!" hype that I forgot about that.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  17. #39
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: iPad

    So I'm reading that the iPad 3G is "unlocked." What does that mean, exactly? Does this allow for Verizon 3G, or is unlocked just meaning there's no contract with AT&T?

  18. #40
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: iPad

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So I'm reading that the iPad 3G is "unlocked." What does that mean, exactly? Does this allow for Verizon 3G, or is unlocked just meaning there's no contract with AT&T?
    No contract. It's GSM-only, so it won't work with Verizon, but you could take it to another country (since the rest of the world uses GSM) and do fine.

    TMobile also uses GSM, so we'll see if it works there.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  19. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    12,042

    Default Re: iPad

    It will be interesting. I still want one.

  20. #42
    The Lost One thelostpacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    noblesville in 46060
    Age
    29
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: iPad

    as you tuber i saw this and i can say ipad is a ipod on steroids!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI99t9k4aEE
    Go Pacers make the playoffs!!!2011:

  21. #43
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: iPad

    Speaking as a parent with kids in school, if a single device (iPad, kindle, etc) can replace all the freakin' text books my kids have to carry around, that would be an instant-buy.

    Textbooks are heavy, and very expensive (even for used ones).
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  22. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: iPad

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Speaking as a parent with kids in school, if a single device (iPad, kindle, etc) can replace all the freakin' text books my kids have to carry around, that would be an instant-buy.

    Textbooks are heavy, and very expensive (even for used ones).
    No joke! I am so happy I will never have to buy textbooks again (unless I go to grad school) after this semester.

  23. #45
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: iPad

    So since I don't get 3G in New Castle, if I were to get an iPad w/ a 3G data plan, will I be able to at least get online on the EDGE network (which I get on my iPhone 3G here)?

    I originally thought it was 3G or nothing, but taking a look here:

    http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

    It says EDGE is supported. What do you think?

  24. #46
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: iPad


  25. #47
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: iPad

    iPad is backlit, no?

    I own a Kindle and even it is a looooong way away from replacing textbooks. It's gonna be awhile before we say goodbye to those ginormous 1500+ page chem books, etc.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  26. #48
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: iPad

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks like MadTV was ahead of the curve by two years
    That's the first time anyone has ever used that sentence.

  27. #49
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: iPad

    No one has an opinion on my EDGE question?

  28. #50
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: iPad

    Yes, it switches over to EDGE. just know that EDGE will make you want to never use the thing without a wifi connection. edge is SUPER slow compared to 3G. No streaming pandora, etc.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •