Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: iPad

Default Re: iPad

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, it switches over to EDGE. just know that EDGE will make you want to never use the thing without a wifi connection. edge is SUPER slow compared to 3G. No streaming pandora, etc.
    I've had an iPhone 3G since late summer '08. Believe, me I'm aware. But I was worried that the iPad would be all or nothing with regards to 3G, and was planning on getting a WiFi only model.

Now I may reconsider.

That's a lot of money to pay just to get EDGE.

Seems like the WiFi model's the way to go.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    That's a lot of money to pay just to get EDGE.

Seems like the WiFi model's the way to go.
    Especially since it's both paying an extra $130 for the diff. model and then paying a monthly fee on top of what I'm paying for my iPhone.

Seriously, you'd think they'd have a special deal for current iPhone 3G subscribers to where we'd get the feed for free, but I guess that makes too much sense.

Anyway, it's still tempting only because I wouldn't be totally dependent on WiFi, but I'm thinking the price is probably too high.

I'd rather use that money towards getting a Wifi only model that has more memory.

After all, the difference between the 16GB 3G and the 64GB WiFi is only 70 bucks.

Anybody buy one?

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Friend bought one and hates it. I don't have much more information than that, He says it's too big to be handy, to small to be useful or something along those lines.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    He says it's too big to be handy, to small to be useful or something along those lines.
    Teehee.

I have a 32GB and I enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I have a 32GB and I enjoy it.
    3G or WiFi? What do you mainly find yourself doing with it? How much of your normal computer time usage has been replaced by it?

Wifi.

I don't have a measurement of how much computer time it is replacing. I'll use it to surf the web when I don't feel like being "locked in" to my desktop, or just when I feel like holding the web in my hands like a magazine instead of staring up at a monitor.

I'll watch Netflix on it, read digital books, read Marvel comics, check the news via an app the pulls in stories from a multitude of sources, watch news video clips from a different app, I use it for note taking at work via the $10 word processor available for it (which is basic and will not replace Word or WordPerfect any time soon, but gets the job done for my simpler needs), obviously check email. I have some games I play on it. Sometimes if I'm staying put for a while I'll listen to podcasts on it. I'll watch video podcasts on it. Browse youtube.

I have the drop box app so I can read documents I put in my desktop's drop box folder when I'm away from home and have internet access (which can be obviously wifi, but I also can tether it to my phone).

That's most of it. I'll mess around with other stuff too depending on what I see in the app store.

I just often prefer it versus being glued to my desktop (you can "curl up with it" wherever you feel like sitting or laying down), and I like being able to pick it up and take it with me.

I think its usefulness depends on personal preference and need. It works pretty well for me.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the feedback! My laptop is ancient and thought about getting one to replace it for around the apartment - as 95% of what I'm doing when not at school (which is over now anyway) sounds like what you use yours for.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm cool with having my MacBook lying around. I played with an iPad at an Apple Store and felt very unfulfilled. (TWSS)

Hicks, do you think it would be useful as a device to show high quality pictures on? Does it have any sort of iPhoto app?

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by N8R View Post
    Hicks, do you think it would be useful as a device to show high quality pictures on? Does it have any sort of iPhoto app?
    I know for a fact that my friend uses it as a fancy digital picture frame when he's charging it. That's the way I've seen it at his house.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Cool Cool. That is basically how I would see me using it, to show photographs easier to more people. I will hold out for the next generation of them though, they can only get better.

Quote Originally Posted by N8R View Post
    Pictures look gorgeous on this thing. It has an app for looking at photo albums where you can also initiate slide shows. You can also leave it as a digital frame or slide show when you're not using it (though you probably will want it docked if you plan on leaving it that way for long).

By the way, the battery is great on this thing. When they said you could watch 10 hours of video, they weren't kidding. I haven't literally done it, but I believe I could if I wanted to.

And when you turn the screen off for when you're not using it, it takes a long damn time to drop even a single percent in battery life.

I think like the next iPhone they should add a front facing camera for the next one of these. It's the most obvious thing missing on a device that can do a lot of things.

I think it would be great to have Skype video or iChat video conferencing on these things.

Also, the ABC app is very slick, but I just don't watch their shows 99% of the time. But great video quality and fast loading. At least on a wireless n connection.

Good to know

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've never had an iPhone or iPod Touch, but I just opened up a new iPad for Christmas.

So my question for you more experienced users is, which are the absolute need-to-have apps? So far I'm having a lot of fun playing with this thing. It seems like it's been forever since I had a new toy to play with on Christmas.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    I've never had an iPhone or iPod Touch, but I just opened up a new iPad for Christmas.

So my question for you more experienced users is, which are the absolute need-to-have apps? So far I'm having a lot of fun playing with this thing. It seems like it's been forever since I had a new toy to play with on Christmas.
    I broke down and bought on in October. Congrats on your awesome gift.

I use twitter, Friendly (an awesome fully-featured Facebook app), SimCity DX HD, Angry Birds HD, and the Betty Crocker Cookbook.

Oh, and Netflix. I can't believe I forgot that.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

The Twitter, Netflix, and Friendly apps are a must, I agree. Angry Birds is great. A lot of cool cookbook apps if you like that sort of thing.

I love downloading video podcasts from the iTunes Store and watching them on it. Look up 'TED Talks' for some really captivating lectures and presentations.

I would also suggest you download a browser app. I don't like Safari because it doesn't have tabbed browsing. Just search the App Store for 'browser' and there are a few choices, all of them decent.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to redfoster For This Useful Post:

Mood

Gizmodo came out with a guide yesterday for new iPad owners. It's pretty nifty.

http://gizmodo.com/5716203/everythin...eeds-right-now

26. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Many thanks Duke and red foster. This thing is awesome. I would never say that it has made my laptop obsolete, but as a supplementary type of thing it is amazing. Highly recommend it. I have the 64 GB with wi-fi and 3G, but since I have a Droid X with unlimited data plan I can just use it as a mobile hot spot and don't have to mess with paying an additional AT&T fee, or deal with their ****ty network.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Whenever I get asked about my iPad, I always tell them you don't need it, but you'll enjoy it. It doesn't replace what you have, but it's a great lap companion, so to speak. Mine is Wifi only, but I would imagine it'd be more useful/versatile with 3G/Edge.

Mood

For me, I have found that I have been using my laptop and desktop less outside of work and using my iPad instead.