Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: iPad

Hybrid View

Default iPad

Looks slick. Still waiting to hear on price. Anybody else want one?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: iPad

I just don't see how something like that will catch on.

Historically, Tablet PC's have had more than enough time to find a niche in the market, and have always failed. they are awkward to handle. They are underpowered. They don't do any task better than conventional machines.

Maybe a writer would like it? No, writers depend on keyboards.

Kids? they like more portability and it's way off the charts when it comes to expense.

I can't use it, it's not powerful enough for work.

And the price is at a very odd position. $500-700 seems like a lot for something that's supposed to hook up to the web and play movies and games.

This is a case of Apple asking itself if it could, and not asking if it should.
    Last edited by Los Angeles; 01-27-2010 at 03:55 PM.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is that seriously what they are calling it? I'll think of feminine hygeine products every time I hear someone talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is that seriously what they are calling it? I'll think of feminine hygeine products every time I hear someone talk about it.
    Yeah, I've already dubbed it the Kotex here. Still, $499 is pretty insane. Of course, they'll make all their money on the app store.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Still, $499 is pretty insane. Of course, they'll make all their money on the app store.
    Agreed. They're stealing a page from Gillette's book.

All I know is that as I walk around using my iPod Touch, I continually think "This is nice, but I wish the screen was bigger."
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah...why didn't they go with iTab? I mean they are calling it a tablet computer and all.....

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Yeah...why didn't they go with iTab? I mean they are calling it a tablet computer and all.....
    that name was probably already taken by another company.

That happened with the iPhone as well.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Mood

I could go for some iPad Thai

Quote Originally Posted by Dabney Prood View Post
    I could go for some iPad Thai
    pad thai kung... yummyyyyy

sounds interesting but I have no intrest... heck I have neither a Iphone or Ipod, I love my Nokia Xpress Music 5310 and my HP notebook ( with external batteries)

can you imagine the future generation, Ipod, Iphone, Ipad, Inotebook, imagine haulin all that to school/work everday...

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

I'm with Anthem in that I browse the web a lot on my iPhone and I do often wish the screen were bigger.

In my case, I never did end up getting a new laptop like I thought I was, and for what I'm using it for now, I could do on the iPad what I'm currently doing on it, and this would be lighter/smaller to carry in my briefcase.

Also in my case, I've flirted with getting a Kindle multiple times, and this could serve a similar role. The kindle is most likely easier on the eyes, and definitely easier to read in various lighting conditions, but at the same time I can read my iPhone easily 99% of the time regardless of where I go. I also often read in short bursts, so I'm not worried about eye strain. Hell, if I wanted to worry about that, the elephant in the room is how long I'm often at my desktop each day/night.

My big gripe? AT&T. This would have been a beautiful time to get in on Verizon's 3G coverage, and they blew it big time. I live in New Castle; AT&T sure as hell doesn't provide 3G here (though oddly Muncie now has it), but I'm pretty sure Verizon's 3G does make it in here. I would be far more energized to go after this "iPad" (yeah, they could have done better there) if Verizon was coming with it.

Do we know if you can at least get the slower cellular connection (Edge) with it if you go ahead and pay for 3G?

And speaking of the Kindle, Amazon released an app for the iPhone which allowed you to read books you bought off of their kindle store.

On apple.com, a video about the iPad said that, I believe they said, "most" apps for the iTouch or iPhone would work on the iPad. If that includes their Kindle app, people would have access to Amazon's kindle book store instead of relying on a new Apple bookstore.

Probably means Apple won't allow it. Still, if the prices are the same, I guess I don't care.

As to the keyboard issue, looks like an option is available:

The iPad docks with it to give it the same angle that a laptop screen usually has.

While this picture shows vertical, as I understand it, you can dock it horizontally as well:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

It seems to me that they barely missed in making a winner.

If the thing could fold in half, THEN we're talking.

I think the issue is all about portability. If I have to use a briefcase or some other case to lug it around, a might as well use my laptop. Plus, the laptop sits up on its own and has a ready made keyboard available.

If the tablet could fold in half, then you could put it in your pocket (like an oversized wallet or daytimer). Not as easily as an iPhone, but still fairly handy.

Everything will really change when they make that tablet that is not only foldable, but also flexible and bendable, so you can put it in your back pocket and even sit down and it not bother you.

To me, the tablet looks like more trouble than help. I can't even sit it on my lap.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Mood

iPad looks nice, but I have a serious jones for the Asus Eee T91MT netbook

Multi-touch touchscreen, solidstate harddrive, only 2 pounds.

And it swivels into tablet mode.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dab For This Useful Post:

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

its just an Ipod Touch with a bigger screen - from the looks of it you can't even multi-task. after all the hype this product did not really deliver...but i'm sure it'll still sell crazy...

It looks pretty sweet to me, but a lot of good points have been brought up. it would be awkward to use for computer purposes. But I like the fact that it is basically a large ipod touch, I would get it just for that reason alone. A good way to show off pics to people is the way I see it. But I have a MacBook Pro so I could just use what I already have.

100% REAL, 0% OF THE TIME the jaddler's Avatar

its pretty big....i currently want an iphone....so i might consider the iPad....but im with hicks on this one....ATT 3g sucks....hell i have an att phone now and i constently get dropped calls.....i would say at least 1 a day.....and in big areas like indy......so yes epic fail apple on not getting the iphone and ipad on verizion!!!!!

What did they want to call the iPhone?
    I CANT SPELL!

THERE ARE THOSE THAT HAVE AND THOSE THAT WILL!

Looks like MadTV was ahead of the curve by two years:

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

For someone looking to get a new laptop anyway, does this seem like a good route to take? Just seems like a bigger iPod Touch to me.

How much HD space comes with the $499 model? I heard it was only 16GB. If so, that's a deal-breaker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    For someone looking to get a new laptop anyway, does this seem like a good route to take? Just seems like a bigger iPod Touch to me.

How much HD space comes with the $499 model? I heard it was only 16GB. If so, that's a deal-breaker for me.
    This isn't a laptop. It's just a big iphone. It doesn't support flash, it doesn't support any useful programs, just "apps".

The more I learn about this thing the more I dislike it.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This isn't a laptop. It's just a big iphone. It doesn't support flash, it doesn't support any useful programs, just "apps".

The more I learn about this thing the more I dislike it.
    Ok, that's just unacceptable. Between lack of Flash, and multitasking, its over right there. I can accept my iPhone not having flash to an extent*, however something that's trying to pass itself off as something closer to a laptop .... that's just stupid.

*My issue with the iPhone not having Flash, is that Flash has said they gave Apple the technology to activate Flash on iPhones a while ago. Apple just hasn't released it. So that makes it slightly annoying on my iPhone, but just absolutely unacceptable on the iPadWithWings. They're probably holding on to it to make a huge stink when the update for it comes out, to make another push for sales.

-- Steve --

Everybody who's been paying attention knew that Flash was a non-starter and has been for over a year. Flash on the iPad was simply not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
    My issue with the iPhone not having Flash, is that Flash has said they gave Apple the technology to activate Flash on iPhones a while ago.
    Flash is WRETCHED. It's buggy as all-get-out, insecure, resource-intensive, and proprietary. It's not hard to understand why Apple doesn't want it running on their hardware... the #1 cause of crashes on the Mac is something they're not legally allowed to fix. I'm ridiculously hopeful that this will encourage people to stop using Flash and move to HTML5 instead. Gotta go cold turkey sometime... might as well be now.

EDIT: Actually, forget I said anything and just read Gruber instead. This is pre-announcement, by the way:

http://daringfireball.net/2010/01/apple_adobe_flash
    Last edited by Anthem; 01-29-2010 at 12:03 PM.

Enjoy your time at PD!