Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old threads about Jim O'Brien - for entertainment only - no point is being made

Default Old threads about Jim O'Brien - for entertainment only - no point is being made

I was looking back through some old threads and uncovered the thread where we found out Jim was hired and the first thread (1 month into his first season discussing whether Jim was going to be fired) and a few other threads, I thought were interesting.

Jim hired -

http://pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=31403

(Is it time to fire Jim)

http://pacersdigest.com/showthread.p...en+named+coach

Some others

http://pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=31423

here is the offical Jim O'Brien poll
    http://pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=31412

http://pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=31451

OK - here is T-Bird's discussion of the three point shot and O'Brien
    http://pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=31460

http://pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=31492
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-25-2010 at 11:10 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

100% REAL, 0% OF THE TIME the jaddler's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Old threads about Jim O'Brien

so what are you trying to accomplish by all this?
    I CANT SPELL!

THERE ARE THOSE THAT HAVE AND THOSE THAT WILL!

Quote Originally Posted by the jaddler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    so what are you trying to accomplish by all this?
    Just entertainment. I clearly labeled the thread, so if you aren't interested in reading any old threads about Jim O'Brien you can easily just skip the thread entirely.

As I mentioned I found some of these old threads and were reading through them today and I thought maybe some others would be interested.

No point is trying to be made.

Well, well, well. Jermaniac L'd his FAO at the announcement. Who'da thunk it?

http://pacersdigest.com/showpost.php...7&postcount=12

But apart from that the interesting things is how many people thought O'Brien would be just like Carlisle.

What ever else you want to say, he hasn't been that!

Last edited by Putnam; 01-25-2010 at 11:22 AM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Default Re: Old threads about Jim O'Brien - for entertainment only - no point is being made

seems like most people still have the same feeling for JOB as they did when they first heard the news...

Default Re: Old threads about Jim O'Brien - for entertainment only - no point is being made

Here is a great post by dipperdunk (for those who don't remember or weren't around) dipperdunk is a Sixers fan who used to be a regular in this forum and he was one of the best posters we had whether pacers fan or non-Pacers fan.

He was dead on with this post.

http://pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=31403&page=8

dipperdunk
    Hi guys, I just heard about Jim O'Brien.

Here is some info from his year in Philly.

He definitely got the team to overachieve he was fired because he had a different opinion than Billy King about Dalembert & Webber.

Iverson loved playing for him, he gives his stars freedom to freelance as long as they play hard for him. If the Pacers keep JO he will probably have a monster year.

Defensively his likes to front the post but he also likes to have help behind the man fronting the post which makes it difficult for post entry passes. The Sixers frustrated Shaq that season despite having weak defensive frontcourt players.

The downside to his defense by packing the lane the Sixers gave up a ton of three pointers when teams had good ball movement against them. The weak side baseline three is open all night with his defense but it is still a good defense because it forces teams to beat you from outside. The Sixers had trouble executing it consistently because Dalembert had a low basketball IQ and would miss rotations and Webber couldn't move.

Offensively, a lot of "freelancing" and three pointers. He loves to play uptempo and push the ball. If you like basic fundamental offensive basketball you'll probably pull your hair out with O'Brien's system because you'll see some sloppy execution on 3-2 fastbreaks etc.,, He is pretty much the exact opposite of Carlisle in terms of managing the offense.

I think he has a tendency to push the pace too much offensively for road games. I remember when the Sixers were playing at Phoenix it was their 3rd game in 4 nights on a west coast trip. They interviewed O'Brien before the game and he said he wanted to push the ball and play uptempo against them. I was thinking why would you want to play a fast tempo when your team is dead tired on the road against Phoenix? They ended up getting ran out of the gym so he is kind of stubborn in that regard.

He loves good athletes who can pressure the ball and get up the court. Granger should flourish in his system. I think he has a good eye for talent and setting his 8 man rotation. The 1st thing he did in Philly in training camp was send Glenn Robinson home and insert Iguodala into the starting lineup even though he was only a rookie.

Somebody mentioned him not playing youth in Boston. That wasn't a problem at all in Philly, like I said he started Iggy all 82 games as a rookie and he started Korver most of the games and he was only in his 2nd season.

He isn't an elite coach but he is decent. He got a raw deal in Philly. He had the team competitive against a very good Pistons team in the playoffs and Cheeks took over the same starting 5 and the team went in the tank.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Congrats to DiamondDave for nailing it on the head.

I miss Jermaniac.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

dipperdunk gave an excellent description.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Congrats to DiamondDave for nailing it on the head.

I miss Jermaniac.
    Yes and yes. Those 2 tore this one up dead-on.

I don't get why I thought he was so close to Rick, I was defending Rick because I hated (and still do) his firing, mostly for the reasons Jermaniac was making about the defense. My points were that people were so happy to get rid of Rick because he ran too much iso (in the post especially) and was all about the defense (which was struggling post GSW)

JOB was talking big defense which he's now at an epic fail level with, and at the time was saying how he was going to use JO. Finally he had a big he could work off of. So it SOUNDED like a sloppier version of more of the same.

Since then he's failed to do this with JO and is being pulled kicking and screaming to do it with Roy.

His offense is just disgusting.

I sure was optimistic at Jim's hiring, and I was positive Dick Harter was going to turn our defense around... my team spirit has been thoroughly crushed since then and I am now a jaded cynic. Thanks alot Jim

100% REAL, 0% OF THE TIME the jaddler's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Just entertainment. I clearly labeled the thread, so if you aren't interested in reading any old threads about Jim O'Brien you can easily just skip the thread entirely.

As I mentioned I found some of these old threads and were reading through them today and I thought maybe some others would be interested.

No point is trying to be made.
    my bad unclebuck....i didnt read the whole title....my add got the best of me...
    I CANT SPELL!

THERE ARE THOSE THAT HAVE AND THOSE THAT WILL!

Dipperdunk Dead on?? Not always, I bolded the stuff of note.

They didn't overachieve, guys have given crap defensive effort and remained in the game with freedom to shoot at will, JO did not have a monster year, the Pacers aren't giving up tons of threes and in fact are forcing teams to shoot more long jumpers (which is a good thing actually), instead of giving up threes we've seen tons of lane violations with guys caught trying to help ball side more than just doubling the post.

He has not favored athletes who can get up the floor, nor has he sent guys packing in favor of rookies. Is anyone seriously going to argue that McRoberts vs Murphy couldn't fall into this category, where Josh can get back on transition defense much better, is quicker completely and has hops to block shots. No matter what you think of Josh's defense you can't argue that he's worse than Troy one on one.

Better yet, let's talk about his treatment of Brandon Rush which borders on insulting in light of some "he love Iggy" idea where the kid gets to play because he can D up and hustle up and down the court.

He has struggled to accept playing the youth or go for options that would fall closer to rebuild and teach vs limp into playoffs.

Of course he's stubborn all right, and not just in regards to up tempo.

Things I see correct - Granger flourished and I did pull my hair out watching his "offense" in action.

And the AI love we understand now because his system appears to focus mostly on letting the PG just do whatever he wants, especially if it involves shooting the ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Here is a great post by dipperdunk (for those who don't remember or weren't around) dipperdunk is a Sixers fan who used to be a regular in this forum and he was one of the best posters we had whether pacers fan or non-Pacers fan.

He was dead on with this post.

http://pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=31403&page=8

dipperdunk
    Hi guys, I just heard about Jim O'Brien.

Here is some info from his year in Philly.

He definitely got the team to overachieve he was fired because he had a different opinion than Billy King about Dalembert & Webber.

Iverson loved playing for him, he gives his stars freedom to freelance as long as they play hard for him. If the Pacers keep JO he will probably have a monster year.

Defensively his likes to front the post but he also likes to have help behind the man fronting the post which makes it difficult for post entry passes. The Sixers frustrated Shaq that season despite having weak defensive frontcourt players.

The downside to his defense by packing the lane the Sixers gave up a ton of three pointers when teams had good ball movement against them. The weak side baseline three is open all night with his defense but it is still a good defense because it forces teams to beat you from outside. The Sixers had trouble executing it consistently because Dalembert had a low basketball IQ and would miss rotations and Webber couldn't move.

Offensively, a lot of "freelancing" and three pointers. He loves to play uptempo and push the ball. If you like basic fundamental offensive basketball you'll probably pull your hair out with O'Brien's system because you'll see some sloppy execution on 3-2 fastbreaks etc.,, He is pretty much the exact opposite of Carlisle in terms of managing the offense.

I think he has a tendency to push the pace too much offensively for road games. I remember when the Sixers were playing at Phoenix it was their 3rd game in 4 nights on a west coast trip. They interviewed O'Brien before the game and he said he wanted to push the ball and play uptempo against them. I was thinking why would you want to play a fast tempo when your team is dead tired on the road against Phoenix? They ended up getting ran out of the gym so he is kind of stubborn in that regard.

He loves good athletes who can pressure the ball and get up the court. Granger should flourish in his system. I think he has a good eye for talent and setting his 8 man rotation. The 1st thing he did in Philly in training camp was send Glenn Robinson home and insert Iguodala into the starting lineup even though he was only a rookie.

Somebody mentioned him not playing youth in Boston. That wasn't a problem at all in Philly, like I said he started Iggy all 82 games as a rookie and he started Korver most of the games and he was only in his 2nd season.

He isn't an elite coach but he is decent. He got a raw deal in Philly. He had the team competitive against a very good Pistons team in the playoffs and Cheeks took over the same starting 5 and the team went in the tank.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-25-2010 at 01:29 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, totally forgot that UB was already defending JOb 5mins into the hire. A lot hasn't changed. Everyone was shocked and disgusted that we were gonna watch a crappy offense.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Jerm is just nuts in that thread, on fire...
    I'm sure Danny will enjoy Obie, no driving to the bucket. Just launch them up Danny.
    Or are we going to defend JOB here and say that 10 3PA in a game isn't that much.

And then he comes back with
    What if we trade JO and have no stars

I'm going to have to STFU the next time Diamond says something instead of debating him after this which I still can't get over (and people are arguing with him even)
    As Celtic coach he was critized for:
    1. Playing favorites letting Walker and Pierce do as they pleased but coming down hard on the others.

2. Not playing young players - he was behind trading Joe Johnson to the Suns for vets Tony Delk and Rodney Rogers

His offense was chuck up 3's and isolate his stars Walker and Pierce.
    And Buck for the win
    He doesn't try to plug players into his offensive system, he builds the offensive system around his players. ------- you all should like that right?
    Nailed it

Rush, Roy, Price, Jack, Jeff, McBob, Solo, DJones...none of these guys or others has ever been asked to take more long jumpers than they normally would, we've never had complaints about how Roy can't run like they need him to, we've never seen PGs asked to defend much bigger SGs they normally wouldn't.....

From day 1 it's been all about posting Roy and letting Rush fill in on offense when it fit (but not always), about PGs not just shooting low PCT threes, etc

Danny 3P/FG ratio with Rick = 19%, 33%
    with JOB = 35%, 35%, 44%

Iggy's 3P/FG ratio = 31%
    The next 4 years = 23%, 16%, 24%, 23%

Iggy's eFG% went UP the year after JOB left and his OffRat and OffWinShares did as well.

My point is that he does impact the style of the player more than catering to them. Iggy was a more effective offensive player when not encouraged to chuck as much, and while Danny was showing a knack for the 3 that has turned into a monster at this point.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

We've been talking about firing this guy since November of 2007?

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

I laughed at a lot of the stuff in that very first thread, especially whenever someone speculated that Obie would play a slow pace that focused on defense, I wonder if anyone even watched him in Boston.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Reading those old threads I was hoping I didn't post anything to embarrassing.

My only comment on the JOB hiring back then, was he was probably better than most of the guys named as possibilities and at least it wasn't Mark Jackson. I still want no part of Jackson.

I have wanted JOB gone since his first couple of months here though.

Visionary quotes by: diamonddave00
    To me the hiring of Jim O'Brien is a terrible move.

As Celtic coach he was critized for:
    1. Playing favorites letting Walker and Pierce do as they pleased but coming down hard on the others.

2. Not playing young players - he was behind trading Joe Johnson to the Suns for vets Tony Delk and Rodney Rogers

His offense was chuck up 3's and isolate his stars Walker and Pierce.

To me this seems to point to Bird thinking this team is a playoff team and just needs a new coach. In many ways he's a slightly diff version of Carlisle. Unless O'Brien has changed and will play youth seems like a bad fit for a re-building team.
    Last edited by Hoop; 01-25-2010 at 08:01 PM.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

ChicagoJ, I think you have exceeded the per thread limit for number of "Thanks"

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I was trying to thank everyone in that first ever JOB thread, but the technology didn't allow it.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Jerm is just nuts in that thread, on fire...

Or are we going to defend JOB here and say that 10 3PA in a game isn't that much.

And then he comes back with

I'm going to have to STFU the next time Diamond says something instead of debating him after this which I still can't get over (and people are arguing with him even)

And Buck for the win

Nailed it

Rush, Roy, Price, Jack, Jeff, McBob, Solo, DJones...none of these guys or others has ever been asked to take more long jumpers than they normally would, we've never had complaints about how Roy can't run like they need him to, we've never seen PGs asked to defend much bigger SGs they normally wouldn't.....

From day 1 it's been all about posting Roy and letting Rush fill in on offense when it fit (but not always), about PGs not just shooting low PCT threes, etc

Danny 3P/FG ratio with Rick = 19%, 33%
    with JOB = 35%, 35%, 44%

Iggy's 3P/FG ratio = 31%
    The next 4 years = 23%, 16%, 24%, 23%

Iggy's eFG% went UP the year after JOB left and his OffRat and OffWinShares did as well.

My point is that he does impact the style of the player more than catering to them. Iggy was a more effective offensive player when not encouraged to chuck as much, and while Danny was showing a knack for the 3 that has turned into a monster at this point.
    Excellent analysis throughout all of your posts in this entire thread.

Also, excellent minimalist usage of the color green. I think you used extreme restraint and should be recognized for that with a screen full of dancing fruit, but in minimalist style it will be represented as the following:

Wow...JOB wasn't really that popular since day one.

Brad, I think my general attitude would require nearly constant green font if I was going to be fair about it.

I think I'm going to call a truce on Buck for now, at least on the JOB fights (debate just doesn't do it justice). I like Buck and honestly I'm stunned by his stance on this one, but then I've been the only guy fighting a fight when abjry and I stood alone defending Jackson.

So he likes him and it's just going to be that way. The debate is leaving nothing but scorched earth anyway and what good does that do.

But he still owes Jerm about a million dollars IIRC.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Brad, I think my general attitude would require nearly constant green font if I was going to be fair about it.

I think I'm going to call a truce on Buck for now, at least on the JOB fights (debate just doesn't do it justice). I like Buck and honestly I'm stunned by his stance on this one, but then I've been the only guy fighting a fight when abjry and I stood alone defending Jackson.

So he likes him and it's just going to be that way. The debate is leaving nothing but scorched earth anyway and what good does that do.

But he still owes Jerm about a million dollars IIRC.
    Hmm, you are attacking UB for somewhat defending O'Brien and you admit to defending Jackson. IMO, UB wins hands down on that debate.

BTW, why do seem to shout in your posts. Shouting doesn't make your opinion the correct opinion. Easeing up on the I am right and you are wrong tone would help your arguements immensly, not that I think they are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBGoode View Post
    Easeing up on the I am right and you are wrong tone would help your arguements immensly, not that I think they are correct.
    So, ease up to "I am correct, you are incorrect" ?

35. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post: