Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Latest on Dampier to the Pacers

Default Latest on Dampier to the Pacers

The question needs to be asked are you willing to include Bender for Damp if the warriors take Pollard. Mullin was here when Bender was a rookie so he knows him.

I am looking for other articles out of the Bay area.

Erick Dampier made close to $8 million last season, when he averaged career highs of 12.3 points and 12 rebounds a game.

Now that Adonal Foyle has signed for roughly that same amount -- a reported five-year, $41.6 million contract -- to replace Dampier as the Warriors' starting center, can similar productivity be expected of him?

Foyle had an interesting and typically erudite response when pondering that question Wednesday, when a moratorium on NBA player transactions was lifted.

"If the team wins and I set 20 picks, I'll consider that very much a job well done,'' said Foyle, an accomplished shot-blocker with career averages of 4.6 points, 5.2 rebounds and 18.8 minutes in seven seasons as a backup with Golden State.

"I really don't conform to any of the standards by which people judge success. I think that's a fallacy. There's a lot of intangibles in the sport, and the question would be whether the team has results at the end of the day.''

Before the end of Wednesday, the Warriors had kept Foyle, lost forward Brian Cardinal -- a clutch contributor last season who signed with Memphis - - and were still looking for a sign-and-trade involving Dampier.

They've had conversations with the Pacers, who are hoping to unload the contracts of big men Scot Pollard and Austin Croshere. It probably would take adding promising youngster Jonathan Bender to the package to tempt the Warriors.

Golden State is said to be eyeing Grizzlies restricted free agent Stromile Swift, a talented though erratic forward, with a Dampier sign-and- trade as bait. Memphis would prefer to include Shane Battier in the deal.

Another team reportedly interested in Dampier is Atlanta, which has enough cap room to offer the 6-foot-11 center a deal to his liking -- probably averaging at least $10 million a year.

Foyle said a recent conversation with Dampier left him the impression his close friend would settle his situation by the end of the week.

As for his own free-agent experience, Foyle said he fielded serious inquiries from five teams, including Boston, Milwaukee and Orlando, but said the expectation of better days ahead convinced him to return to the Warriors.

Foyle's large contract, which stunned some observers in a league used to huge salaries, obviously played a major role in the decision as well.

"I can never, ever get used to the kind of money in this league, but I've taken my dad's class (at Colgate), and I know what he would say -- supply and demand,'' Foyle said. "It's as simple as that. If you look at this summer, there were probably only about five big men on the market.''

Briefly: A Warriors spokesman said second-year guard Mickael Pietrus would undergo an MRI exam on his strained left shoulder and the results should be available today. Pietrus was hurt taking a charge Monday in the first game of summer-league action.

Default Re: Latest on Dampier to the Pacers

I might do Pollard and Bender for Dampier and Dunleavy if Damp's contract is for no more than 4 years.

Overall, I think they'll get a better deal from Memphis.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Quote Originally Posted by blanket
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I might do Pollard and Bender for Dampier and Dunleavy if Damp's contract is for no more than 4 years.

Overall, I think they'll get a better deal from Memphis.

Warriors will not give up Dunleavy, that is not even a possibility.

Read through other articles, out of Dallas, Memphis, Atlanta, NY, appears the pacers have a good a chance of getting Damp as anyone. Not sure how badly the Pacers want Damp.

Funny thing is, I would rather have Bender

Even though he is injury prone, I'd rather take my chances on him than give a gigantic contract to a guy who WE got rid of before and who has played only 1 good season, and a contract year at that.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd do Foster, Pollard, Bender and either FJ or AJ (S&T) for Dampier (S&T). I'd like to get Dunleavy, too, but that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

I think, with Shaq coming East and Detroit's recent moves (including 'Sheed) to get bigger and better, that we need to look to a front court rotation of:

C - Dampier/ Harrison
    PF - O'Neal/ Croshere

in order to re-gain the advantage we had six months ago.

Everyone knows I'm not sold on Stephen Jackson, but I think we've addressed our needs on the perimeter

SF and SG - [pick two of Artest/ Jackson/ Miller]
    PG - Tinsley/ Wright/ Brewer/ (AJ/FJ)
    [edit=72=1089900911][/edit]
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I'd trade Bender straight up for Dunleavy though.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Include Jonathan? yes. But...is the P mgmnt willing to then go look for a viable BU 3/4?????
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would trade oft injured Bender for Damp. What are the warriors willing to depart with besides Damp. We will need a forward from them.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

If Damp is willing to sign for about 8 mil with smaller raises, and the price was Bender, I'd reluctantly do it.

No Fred Jones in the deal, please.

Ron Artest is going to get most of the minutes at small forward, anyway; Stephen Jackson plays a decent 3; James Jones might deserve some minutes; and a good defensive guy like Mike Curry will come for the minimum.

Dampier is a top five center, probably, which is not as strong an endorsement as it sounds.

One thing for sure, Damp is a rebounder and defensive presence with size who can help JO by taking some of the pounding at the defensive end.

A front line of JO, Ron and Dampier is as good as it gets defensively.

The more Dampier's contract gets realistic, the more the Pacers will be interested, I'd imagine.

Mood

Mullin and Bird should be able to get the job done. We could find a vet small forward for cheap. My only problem with the trade is we are gutting this team similar to Miami for Shaq. Unless we somehow can get Dunleavey or a similar investment like Bender we shouldnt do it. Pollard and Harrison is 12 fouls against Shaq. It would be nice to get rid of some of these huge contracts though.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Anyone know how Damp did against Shaq in years past?

75Ranger

[quote=btowncolt]
    Quote Originally Posted by Harddrive7
    A frontline of Dampier/O'Neal/Harrison/Foster just sounds so much more intimidating. But there would be a price to pay for that........
    Im reluctant to trade Bender for Dampier, I think with Harrington leaving this is a golden opportunity for him to break out. At the same time I think we need another big man just to throw in the game agaisnt some of the more physical teams in the NBA.

Doesn't have to be an allstar just somebody whos got some bulk and will rebound and defend for us. I wouldn't mind us signing a guy like Ruben Boumtje Boumjte.

Hes very raw but hes a big guy who I think would be a nice big man we can throw in the game against some of the more physical teams in the NBA.

If we get Dampier, I strickly want him to provide low post defense and rebounding which he will do.Dampier however does a good a job as anybody could possibly do on Shaq.

I don't really want him getting alot of touches on the offensive end, unless its off offensive rebounds. Its not that he has no low post moves but you guys like Al to call a Black hole, you guys will truly understand what a black hole is when you see Erick in the post.

I also don't think we should be paying him anymore then 8million a year in any deal for him.

I wouldn't complain about Bender being injury prone and then want Dampier. I promise he will not play 82 games and would be surpised if he averaged 30 minutes per game.

Dampier is not worth the money he will get. He is not worth what we would have to give up to get him. He will not help playing against the Wallaces whose quickness would kill him. He would be little more that 6 fouls on Shaq. Pollard can do that.

We already have a SF and PF how spend their time in the post do we need a wide body filling up the lane?

"They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I thought Damp had a pretty decent FG%

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    I wouldn't complain about Bender being injury prone and then want Dampier. I promise he will not play 82 games and would be surpised if he averaged 30 minutes per game.

Dampier is not worth the money he will get. He is not worth what we would have to give up to get him. He will not help playing against the Wallaces whose quickness would kill him. He would be little more that 6 fouls on Shaq. Pollard can do that.

We already have a SF and PF how spend their time in the post do we need a wide body filling up the lane?

I completely agree with everything said above.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

If it were Bender and Pollard, and Damp wasn't getting more than 4 years and no more than $10m/yr I'd be abit tempted, but I wouldn't want to go any further than that.

I really want to see what Bender can do with consistant minutes, so it would have to be a great deal. I think Jax could play the backup 3 minutes so i dont see that in the case of losing Bender we would have just destroyed our depth at the 3.
    [edit=122=1089910345][/edit]

I'd definately do this, as long as Damp's contract isn't too long, like others have said. I've pretty much given up on the notion that Bender will ever be a consistent threat. Plus, Dampier fills another need we have. Another thought: trading JB allows Jackson to play SF which opens up more time for Freddie. Wouldn't be a very big lineup, but...

IndyToad
    Don't date Samus

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

I dunno if we would want to give up on JB so early.We have Harrison and I think we should try to get Vlade.I forgot about Vlade untill Anthem brought it up.But I don't think we should trade JB just yet.He could and a think we as Pacer fans are praying he has a breakout year.What if he averaged 13-15 ppg that would be huge for us.(I doubt he will)
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

RA231

Quote Originally Posted by indytoad
    Another thought: trading JB allows Jackson to play SF which opens up more time for Freddie.
    Exactly, thats one of the reasons why I'd do this trade.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dukins
    I would trade oft injured Bender for Damp. What are the warriors willing to depart with besides Damp. We will need a forward from them.
    EDIT: You would trade oft-injured Bender for oft-injured Damp.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacerfan2425
    I dunno if we would want to give up on JB so early.We have Harrison and I think we should try to get Vlade.I forgot about Vlade untill Anthem brought it up.But I don't think we should trade JB just yet.He could and a think we as Pacer fans are praying he has a breakout year.What if he averaged 13-15 ppg that would be huge for us.(I doubt he will)
    Too freakin' early?

That's classic.

What part of 5 years don't we understand?

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    Too freakin' early?

That's classic.

What part of the physical difference of a young man at age 23 vs age 18 do YOU not understand??ed:

Quote Originally Posted by Freddies
    Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    Too freakin' early?

That's classic.

What part of the physical difference of a young man at age 23 vs age 18 do YOU not understand??ed:
    Please tell me taht you watched Bender this year.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wouldn't trade Bender for Damp straight up regardless of salaries. I just flat don't like stone hands Damp, at least Bender still has the potential tag and "upside".

I want Bender to play more at PF, that would open up some time at SG for Fred and SF time for Jackson.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

I'm still firmly convinced that

a) That was the best year Dampier will ever have, that he's coasted in the league up until this year, saw his chance for a big contract, and will coast again after he gets it.

and

b) If we wanted to pay a big man that much money for that long we would have just paid Brad Miller.

No Dampier for the Pacers.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett