Thread: IndyStar-Show time arrives for Pacers' Brewer

Default IndyStar-Show time arrives for Pacers' Brewer

http://www.indystar.com/articles/4/162589-1914-036.html

Show time arrives for Pacers' Brewer
    Former 2nd-round pick is asked to prove he can play point guard in summer league.

By Sekou Smith
    sekou.smith@indystar.com
    July 15, 2004

Jamison Brewer turned down an offer to play on the Indiana Pacers' summer league team a year ago.

Brewer didn't see the wisdom in spending a week in Salt Lake City, toiling at the Rocky Mountain Revue with rookies and free agents desperate to impress NBA brass from around the league. He knew his roster spot was secure for the 2003-04 season, thanks to his guaranteed contract.

Brewer's tune changed dramatically last week, however, when the Pacers asked again. He has a sense of urgency this summer, since the free agent is working without a contract.

Brewer will have a chance to run the summer league team, albeit one without Jermaine O'Neal and Ron Artest as his forwards. But he has another chance to prove to the Pacers, and anyone else, that he belongs in the NBA.

"I'm here because I wanted to show them (the Pacers), more than anything, that I'm ready to play," Brewer said Wednesday after the Pacers wrapped up their last full day of rookie/free agent minicamp practice. The team leaves today for Salt Lake City.

"I know some people might have doubts about me and what I can do, so I'm here to show them. And I'm about proving people wrong. I've been doing that my whole life."

Brewer, a former second-round draft pick, defied the odds by sticking with the Pacers for three seasons. Now 23 and still bubbling with the energy that made him a franchise favorite when he first arrived, Brewer insists he has matured to the point that no one can deny him a place in some team's playing rotation.

"It's my time, baby," he said. "It's time for people to know me and to know what kind of player I am."

But here he is, faced with the task of proving himself to a skeptical audience yet again.

"I think Jamison's situation is show and tell," said Mel Daniels, the Pacers director of player development. "I think he sees people out here who might challenge him for his position. The smart thing to do is to come out and show people that your stuff is as good as it is or maybe even better than (we think) it is."

Brewer will get that chance in Utah. Pacers associate coach Mike Brown, who will coach the summer league squad, is counting on Brewer to lead it.

"This is big time for him," Brown said. "It not only gives him a chance to start at the point position, but to actually run the team. He's going to be responsible for controlling the tempo and controlling his teammates and putting them in the right spots at the right time.

"There are a lot of responsibilities he's going to have this summer that he won't have during the regular season, and all that is going to help him in the maturation process."

Brewer's physical gifts -- he is often called the team's fastest player and the strongest pound-for-pound -- have never been in question.

"He's athletic, he's long, he can defend, he's quick," Brown said. "We just want to know, 'Hey, can he run a team? Can he play the point guard position? Does he understand tempo? Does he understand pace? Can he lead?' Because those are some of the things you have to show if you're going to play point guard in this league."

Brewer's answer to all of those questions was an emphatic "Yes."

"The coaches have to have as much faith in me as I have in them," Brewer said. "I really think that's what it's all about in this league, anyway. Somebody has to believe in you. That's all you need to thrive in this league. I've seen it happen over and over again."

Default Re: IndyStar-Show time arrives for Pacers' Brewer

But most of all he needs a shot. If he has developed that, he will be pushing Tinsley to start before the year is over.

bapspacers4life

brewer it ur only last prove them u belong nba go do it kid

Quote Originally Posted by bapspacers4life
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In the famous words of Butthead....
    "uhhhhhhhh.....what?"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thanks that make yo go hmmmmmm......

Seriously its up to Brewer to prove that he belongs and i believe he can make this team. For one he is probably one of the fastest players in the NBA, Not that htis matters, but the first point guard of a Pacer that i saw DUNK in a very very long time. Im forgetting that he seems that he can lock down on a defensive player with ease. His problem will be that he plays at such a high tempo will he be able to control it. Time will tell. I will be watching the summer league games. Ill give a report.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Quote Originally Posted by Will
    But most of all he needs a shot. If he has developed that, he will be pushing Tinsley to start before the year is over.
    Dream on Will! I like Brewer a lot, I think his defensive abilities are JUST what this needs BEHIND Tinsley.
    Even IF he shoots like Reggie, his pg skills are so far behind Tins that he'd never start in front of him.
    Sure would like to see him push Jamaal though!!

Forget about Brewer pushing Jamaal. He needs to push AJ.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

RA231

Quote Originally Posted by Dukins

Thanks that make yo go hmmmmmm......

Seriously its up to Brewer to prove that he belongs and i believe he can make this team. For one he is probably one of the fastest players in the NBA, Not that htis matters, but the first point guard of a Pacer that i saw DUNK in a very very long time. Im forgetting that he seems that he can lock down on a defensive player with ease. His problem will be that he plays at such a high tempo will he be able to control it. Time will tell. I will be watching the summer league games. Ill give a report.
    Thanks I really hoped somebody had nbatv and would give report. By the way, when does the summer league start?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Forget about Brewer pushing Jamaal. He needs to push AJ.
    Yup. I think Brewer is headed elsewhere this season.

He's had two years to 'be along for the ride' so to speak and while he has shown some natural ability and apparently "leaves it all between the lines" during practice he hasn't shown much of anything to make me think he's anything more than a body who can look good when another team is unprepared for that body.

We can say that he hasn't had the playing time to show his game to the coaches (and we don't know if goes "out of his way" behind the scenes) but if I had been him; I would've done the previous Summer Leagues; I would've made the effort. As it is, he's in a position now where he's battling Wright for one of the spots on the IR (which is a situation he might not be in if the Administration had confidence in him).

What he does have going for him is familiarity with the team and system. I'd love to be proven wrong here (I love when the Pacers players surprise me in a good way even if makes me look like an idiot) but I think he's NBDL bound. Maybe get a callup to someone when they have 2 PGs go down or something. I'm not saying he's terrible nor would I complain he made the roster again; just sayin...

Summer league starts "today" (Friday", doesn't it? At least for us?