Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58

Thread: David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

  1. #1
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,455

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

    I feel that Commissioner Stern owes the Pacers the number one over all pick in the lottery. I still believe that Commissioner Stern's punishment after the event that cannot be named was too severe. Those that disagree, I understand. The fact of the matter is that Stern's guys, meaning the referees, let the situation get out of control. Ben Wallace should have been ejected immediately. I don't agree with what 91 did, but I don't believe that we the fans should still have to suffer. By suspending 91 for the season, Stern single-handedly derailed the Pacers chances of winning a title, which isn't right. I am also still bitter that the professional basketball team from Michigan, got off scott-free.

    Lets also remember the injustice of the 1985 lottery where the Knicks won and drafted Patrick Ewing. I know that Indiana is a small market, but the Pacers have done their time. Years have passed, and we need to be relevant again.

  2. #2

    Default Re: David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

    Nobody owes us anything. I don't see how we deserve any different than any other team.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Banned Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

    Revenue across the league is going down. We are a basketball state. Look @ our division you have Bogut, Rose, & Lebron all number one picks. Why not add another to the mix? Damn looks like Stern will screw us again and Detroit will be getting that pick.

  7. #5
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

    This thread is I guess pre-supposing that Stern controls which teams get what draft picks

  8. #6
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This thread is I guess pre-supposing that Stern controls which teams get what draft picks

  9. #7
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,556
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who's that from our distant television past? From a time period that the Pacers' fortunes were similar to ours today?

    I could swear I hear a diminutive man, standing next to an older distinguished looking man who was apparently in charge of an idyllic paradise.

    Diminutive man, named "Tatoo", (after running to the top of a nearby bell tower and excitedly ringing a bell) speaking urgently with a thick French accent:

    "Ze plane! Ze plane!"

    Quickly, a seaplane lands in the nearby water carrying unsuspecting couples with various dysfunctional visions of what they have always wished for in their lives which were quickly to become apparent.

    Within a couple more minutes, those couples lined up in a reception area somewhere near the pier that the seaplane ends up tied off to, at which point the older man, with a thick Hispanic accent while lifting a glass in toast:

    "My dear guests, I am Mr. Roarke, your host. Welcome to Fantasy Island."

  10. #8
    "I'm your huckleberry"
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    681

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

    I believe the reverse--the Pacers will never win the lottery as long as Stern runs the show--and yes, it is a conspiracy. Stern is as crooked as Vince McMahon.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to DocHolliday For This Useful Post:


  12. #9
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,957

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

    Why does Stern have a hidden agenda against the Pacers, but allows other small market teams like the Bucks to get a #1 Pick?

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    Member pacergod2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,885
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

    The odds are against every team in getting the number one pick. Even if you have the worst record you get a 25% chance of winning it. That's a 75% chance of ANYBODY else winning it. Therefore, the odds are always against the Pacers, and every team for that matter. We are being a bit short-sighted calling David Stern crooked. While I think he does a lot to effect the game behind the scenes, manipulating the lottery is not changing the Pacers chances of getting the top pick. Or even a top three pick.

  15. #11
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,221
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This thread is I guess pre-supposing that Stern controls which teams get what draft picks
    If they have nothing to hide why don't they show the balls coming out of the hopper? They just have a guy tell you what order they came out in.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  17. #12
    Member Alabama-Redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lake Guntersville, Alabama
    Age
    72
    Posts
    1,690

    Default Re: David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The odds are against every team in getting the number one pick. Even if you have the worst record you get a 25% chance of winning it. That's a 75% chance of ANYBODY else winning it. Therefore, the odds are always against the Pacers, and every team for that matter. We are being a bit short-sighted calling David Stern crooked. While I think he does a lot to effect the game behind the scenes, manipulating the lottery is not changing the Pacers chances of getting the top pick. Or even a top three pick.
    You're absolutely correct but look at all the arguments and debates the conspiracy theory cause. It's more fun than just agreeing that it is all chance.

    I would rather be the hammer than the nail

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Alabama-Redneck For This Useful Post:


  19. #13
    Member IndySDExport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Durham/Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    876

    Default Re: David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

    If we're going to start a David Stern draft conspiracy thread, we should starting making our picks for this years draft lottery. That way when one comes true....

    My guess:
    #1 NY Knicks get John Wall
    Giving Lebron incentive to go to New York

    or (more feasible for Stern)
    #1 and John Wall goes to New Jersey
    Lebron now has incentive to join up with JayZ in brooklyn.

  20. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by IndySDExport View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we're going to start a David Stern draft conspiracy thread, we should starting making our picks for this years draft lottery. That way when one comes true....

    My guess:
    #1 NY Knicks get John Wall
    Giving Lebron incentive to go to New York

    or (more feasible for Stern)
    #1 and John Wall goes to New Jersey
    Lebron now has incentive to join up with JayZ in brooklyn.
    the knicks don't have a 1st round pick this year.

  21. #15
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,958

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    the knicks don't have a 1st round pick this year.
    Sshhh, you'll spoil the conspiracy theory!

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  23. #16
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,958

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

    BTW, I feel David Stern owes me a hot dog and some fries.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  24. #17
    Member IndySDExport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Durham/Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    876

    Default Re: David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    the knicks don't have a 1st round pick this year.
    Quick, for the love of God, someone trade the Knicks a 1st round pick for Nate Robinson and Jared Jeffries!

  25. #18
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they have nothing to hide why don't they show the balls coming out of the hopper? They just have a guy tell you what order they came out in.
    Media has been allowed back in the room for the past several years.

    "The guy" as you discribe him is told what the results of the lottery are by some accounting firm, so no one with the NBA knows until the envelopes are open.

    I can't believe anyone truly in all seriousness believes that the lottery is in any way not on the up and up. I know some people like to joke about it and have a little fun making fun of the lottery but as far as really believing it is in anyway crooked, I don't understand that type of thinking. It is just foreign to me

  26. #19
    Member odeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    3,776

    Default Re: David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

    Stern doesn't owe us, though in looking back on the event that changed everything he was a bit harsh punishment, but like the song, that's the breaks.

    We just haven't sucked enough to get a high pick. We like to be just good enough to get a pick in the teens. Which has been somewhat good to us. Granger, Hibbert, Rush, and Hans not so bad. This year could be our year to get a top 5, but who knows, not something you want to goal towards, though some might disagree.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

  27. #20

    Default Re: David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

    let's not fight this. we shoudl all just agree with OP, yell loud enough, and maybe David Stern will heed the call and give us John Wall for no reason whatsoever

    i would not complain

  28. #21

    Default Re: David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall


  29. #22
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love that

  30. #23
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,247

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

    I wouldn't say Stern was too harsh on us after the brawl. The guys were beating up fans, of course they should have been suspended. It sucked, but we brought it on ourselves.

    The two things that pissed me off were that the Pistons didn't get touched by the whole thing and also the fact that the refs screwed us every single game for 3 years after the brawl. Now, the refs are back to being fair again, but those 3 years were a disgrace.

  31. #24
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,221
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Media has been allowed back in the room for the past several years.

    "The guy" as you discribe him is told what the results of the lottery are by some accounting firm, so no one with the NBA knows until the envelopes are open.

    I can't believe anyone truly in all seriousness believes that the lottery is in any way not on the up and up. I know some people like to joke about it and have a little fun making fun of the lottery but as far as really believing it is in anyway crooked, I don't understand that type of thinking. It is just foreign to me
    I understand that, and I don't really think there is a conspiracy. However, these conspiracy theories would go away if they would just do it the way the regular lottery does it and actually show the drawing on live TV. You can say that an accounting firm oversees it all you want to but until they actually prove it there will always be ammunition for someone to say it's not above board.

  32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  33. #25

    Default Re: David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I believe the reverse--the Pacers will never win the lottery as long as Stern runs the show--and yes, it is a conspiracy. Stern is as crooked as Vince McMahon.
    I agree

    and I can't believe this thread isn't locked already

Similar Threads

  1. Pacers, lottery... and John Wall
    By BKK in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 12-11-2009, 09:29 PM
  2. Q & A with David Dupree 3-2
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-04-2005, 03:13 AM
  3. What's Pacers' plan of attack now? - Chad Ford
    By MagicRat in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 12:25 AM
  4. Pacers Blue Print from Insider
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-07-2004, 06:10 PM
  5. Complete Game 2 Coverage From The Detroit News & Detroit Free Press
    By obnoxiousmodesty in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 11:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •