Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 88 of 88

Thread: Oby benches Roy

  1. #76
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,619

    Default Re: Oby benches Roy

    Whats Obie doing these days? Its always interesting to me with a player or coach leaves one of my teams and he's not picked up by someone, its pretty telling, I think.

  2. #77
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,638

    Default Re: Oby benches Roy

    Well I always love the "as soon as it's over then move on" attitude people take about sports stuff. Hey, Americans, it's Dec 18, 1941, time to get over the whole Pearl Harbor thing, sheesh. You just keep beating it to death.

    Yes, I'm fully aware of the differences here but it's an ANALOGY addressing the foolish idea that the instant something stops being true you should just be emotionally over it. That's ridiculous. The JOB era went on at least a year longer than it should have, and all this "JOB had it tough" is BS because all we wanted was for him to DEVELOP THE KIDS so that by the year he was fired he'd actually have them playing .500 ball and showing a level of experience. That Vogel was able to do this in about 3 weeks only made many of us more bitter about the wasted years.

    That's what bugs me most of all, that the development of the team was hindered by JOB and drug behind by a couple of years on the whole "yes but brawl..." cover. This thread said it all, just freaking play Roy and you can keep your job. That's all JOB had to do.

    Now Roy's getting his $15m per and fans would have been thrilled to give him 10-11m if not the fully 15. That's a far cry from how JOB treated him, yet only about 90-100 games past when Roy "had a long way to go to be good". And that's ignoring the all-star appearance well before that.


    The strawman of "it was a tough spot" is just such crap. It was an easy spot because the fans knew the team wouldn't win and that it was rebuild time. Instead of doing that and taking pride in the improvement of the kids on his watch, he benched them and milked Troy, Dun, Ford and Posey for all the wins he thought they could give him while prolonging the healing process (developing the future core).

  3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  4. #78
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,478

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oby benches Roy

    I agree JOB had it pretty easy. We knew we weren't going to be good all he had to do was playing young guys. And he pretty much banished our 2 best defensive players to the bench for long portions of their development (Roy and Paul). That's pretty telling that JOB rewarded one end of the floor over the other. I.E. DC got here as a second year player under JOB and was the unquestioned starting point from day 1, which end is DC strongest at again? (Not trying to hate on DC here, but it's true...JOB rewarded offense over D.)

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  5. #79
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,551

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oby benches Roy

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whats Obie doing these days? Its always interesting to me with a player or coach leaves one of my teams and he's not picked up by someone, its pretty telling, I think.
    Ironically, had JOB continued with the playing style that was WORKING in the first weeks of that final season instead of reverting to jack-a-3 when he discovered that Posey could do an excellent Troy Murphy impression, I think he'd have a job somewhere.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  6. #80
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,449

    Default Re: Oby benches Roy

    This video promotes truthiness to the fullest.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  7. #81
    Member pacergod2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,886
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oby benches Roy

    Quote Originally Posted by Haywoode Workman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less couldn't care less
    The mouth says "I could care less".

    The heart means "I could care less".

    The expression is "I couldn't care less".

    I wonder if JOB has shoulder hair that is such a stark contrast like the capuchin monkey.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

  8. #82
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,619

    Default Re: Oby benches Roy

    I think if he'd had played the youngsters, what would it have meant 5-8 games different in the Loss column, if even that. That was the toughest pill to swallow, you had youngster who were better, but just inconsistent. In retrospect, I hope the franchise looks back to the Dunleavy/Murphy trade and every time since then and realize winning 34 games and prolonging the turnaround isn't helping your fanbase, it isn't keeping them hanging on, it solidifying the casual fans indifference. I said it then, give a winner or at least give me hope in the future. Those years were neither and it was pretty tough.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


  10. #83
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,828

    Default Re: Oby benches Roy

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think if he'd had played the youngsters, what would it have meant 5-8 games different in the Loss column, if even that. That was the toughest pill to swallow, you had youngster who were better, but just inconsistent. In retrospect, I hope the franchise looks back to the Dunleavy/Murphy trade and every time since then and realize winning 34 games and prolonging the turnaround isn't helping your fanbase, it isn't keeping them hanging on, it solidifying the casual fans indifference. I said it then, give a winner or at least give me hope in the future. Those years were neither and it was pretty tough.
    Yep they should have flipped the fans in indy the bird and just kept Steven Jackson. (only half joking) .

    I hate the revisionist history around here. (for Naptown) Roy couldn't stay on the floor because he was a foul magnet and slow as a rookie. 2nd year Roy broke down (by his own admission) mid season. Roy developed just fine. He is far better now than he was as a rookie.

    At the beginig of PG's Rookie season he was horrible with team defense. While he was always a great on the ball defender, he was constantly out of position(normal for a young rookie). Most the players people complained needed developed are no longer a part of this team.

    Screw the ex- coach, just don't pretend like his haters rallying call wasn't for Mcroberts to get more minutes. Why don't people just accept that he was a baby sitter brought here to run a tight ship until we were out of cap hell. We were going to suck with or without him.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:


  12. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Oby benches Roy

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep they should have flipped the fans in indy the bird and just kept Steven Jackson. (only half joking) .

    I hate the revisionist history around here. (for Naptown) Roy couldn't stay on the floor because he was a foul magnet and slow as a rookie. 2nd year Roy broke down (by his own admission) mid season. Roy developed just fine. He is far better now than he was as a rookie.

    At the beginig of PG's Rookie season he was horrible with team defense. While he was always a great on the ball defender, he was constantly out of position(normal for a young rookie). Most the players people complained needed developed are no longer a part of this team.

    Screw the ex- coach, just don't pretend like his haters rallying call wasn't for Mcroberts to get more minutes. Why don't people just accept that he was a baby sitter brought here to run a tight ship until we were out of cap hell. We were going to suck with or without him.


    I choose sucking without him and by sucking I mean no more than 20 wins a year. With the clown the Pacers not only sucked but they sucked without a purpose.

  13. #85
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,551

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oby benches Roy

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We were going to suck with or without him.
    The venom wouldn't have been nearly as bad if we had sucked while actually playing our young players and getting them valuable playing time instead of sucking because our idiot head coach wanted to give TroyJames PoseyMurphy 15+ minutes a game while our young players sat at the end of the bench or in a suit. Remember how Bird had to practically force O'Brien to play Tyler, so the moron responded by not dressing Josh and continue the force-feeding of James Posey?
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  15. #86
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,187
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oby benches Roy

    I hated JOB's system and rotations. But I was not fed up until he was extended. That made no sense and the writing was on the wall. And for the lame duck excuse? I just do not buy it. For a GM who just does a handshake agreement with the owner, he would then be a lame duck to the staff he has surrounded himself with. Maybe that is why Morway was such a slouch, and JOB himself was whatever he was.

    All I know is the handshake, good ole boy, my word is oak agreements are not concrete and do not allow closure. Now Donny has a lame duck handshake agreement.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:


  17. #87
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,218

    Default Re: Oby benches Roy

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep they should have flipped the fans in indy the bird and just kept Steven Jackson. (only half joking) .

    I hate the revisionist history around here. (for Naptown) Roy couldn't stay on the floor because he was a foul magnet and slow as a rookie. 2nd year Roy broke down (by his own admission) mid season. Roy developed just fine. He is far better now than he was as a rookie.

    At the beginig of PG's Rookie season he was horrible with team defense. While he was always a great on the ball defender, he was constantly out of position(normal for a young rookie). Most the players people complained needed developed are no longer a part of this team.

    Screw the ex- coach, just don't pretend like his haters rallying call wasn't for Mcroberts to get more minutes. Why don't people just accept that he was a baby sitter brought here to run a tight ship until we were out of cap hell. We were going to suck with or without him.
    Except that we stopped sucking the moment he was fired.

    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  19. #88
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,828

    Default Re: Oby benches Roy

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Except that we stopped sucking the moment he was fired.

    Mcroberts didn't :-)jk

Similar Threads

  1. Skiles benches Redd, Bogut as Cats drop Bucks [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 11:20 PM
  2. Murray lifts Hawks vs. Heat in battle of benches [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 10:20 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-01-2009, 05:38 PM
  4. Isiah benches Randolph as Bosh pounds Knicks [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-12-2008, 01:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •