View Poll Results: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    53 43.09%
  • Is this real life?

    23 18.70%
  • No

    25 20.33%
  • Maybe - He hasn't shot enough for us to know (Hibbert)

    8 6.50%
  • Kill me. Kill me now. (count55)

    14 11.38%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 224

Thread: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat

  1. #1
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat

    Just for funsies...

    Yay or nay.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  2. #2
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,357

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat

    I saw him airball a shot once.

    Nay.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,357

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat



    Is this real life?
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,245

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat

    im gonna pull one of those lines i see from time to time on here and say pls define consistent 3 pt shooter?

    if by consistent meaning on a nightly basis he is a threat to knock down open 3's.. then the answer is NO.

    i can tell right now this is not a subject thats going to go away.. so im glad we have a thread on it so all those who are so confident in rush's consistent 3 pt shooting can now at the very least take a much closer look, as opposed to only basing it upon %'s.

    look forward to responses were gonna see as the season goes on. unless rush improved his shooting over the summer, unfortunately i feel i will end up being correct.

  7. #5
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat

    You know, if you want to get all technical and semantic about it, you could argue that the question "Is Rush a consistent threat from behind the line" is a different question than "Does Rush shoot consistently from behind the line."
    Last edited by Anthem; 11-16-2010 at 01:12 AM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    im gonna pull one of those lines i see from time to time on here and say pls define consistent 3 pt shooter?
    Ok, I'll let you do it.


    Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    if by consistent meaning on a nightly basis he is a threat to knock down open 3's..
    I would say this is a good definition.

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    then the answer is NO.
    You are wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i can tell right now this is not a subject thats going to go away..
    I can't believe it's a subject that ever even had to come up.

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    so im glad we have a thread on it so all those who are so confident in rush's consistent 3 pt shooting can now at the very least take a much closer look, as opposed to only basing it upon %'s.
    I'm not sure what else you base shooting consistency on other than the %'s, but I'm sure you'll try to find something.

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    look forward to responses were gonna see as the season goes on. unless rush improved his shooting over the summer, unfortunately i feel i will end up being correct.
    If you had asked me during the offseason to list possible thread titles I might create this season from 1 to 1000 this would be number 998...right behind no. 997 "Danny Granger moves to Iraq to fight for the Jihad" and right in front of no. 999 "Jeff Foster: Great point guard or greatEST point guard" and no. 1000 "100 Reasons We Should Trade for Stephen Jackson and re-sign Jamaal Tinsley and then allow guns in the locker room, also Fingers should be our new head coach"

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why didn't you vote no, then?

    Also, as Kegboy would say, :booprivatepoll:
    It's not a private poll.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  12. #8
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,845

    Default Re: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat

    This shouldnt even be a question
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  13. #9
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You know, if you want to get all technical and semantic about it, you could argue that the question "Is Rush a consistent threat from behind the line" is a different question than "Does Rush shoot consistently from behind the line."
    Well this begs the question, which line are we talking about here?!?!?!

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  14. #10

    Default Re: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just for funsies...

    Yay or nay.
    I voted no because he doesn't shoot enough to be a threat. If you told a team before a game that our sg would only take 6 shots in 20 some minutes I don't think they would consider that a threat either.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:


  16. #11
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat

    Rush shot the third most 3s on the team last season...Behind only Granger who shot an absurd 438, and Murphy (shudder).

    In fact Rush shot almost as many 3s as 2s, this thread isn't about his aggressiveness though.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 11-16-2010 at 01:27 AM.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  17. #12
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,467

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat

    I think he is. That's about all he does well on offense though, sadly.

  18. #13
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,584
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat

    When Brandon goes on a "hot streak" look out, he might be willing to take four shots in a quarter.

    Oh, is he consistent? Yes, he consistently shoots 3 point shots as opposed to driving to the rim, regardless of whether he is a consistent threat with respect to actually making them or not as Anthem pointed out.

  19. #14

    Default Re: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rush shot the third most 3s on the team last season...Behind only Granger who shot an absurd 438, and Murphy (shudder).

    In fact Rush shot almost as many 3s as 2s, this thread isn't about his aggressiveness though.
    Well to me a threat is not 8 to 9 points in 30 minutes. When thats your season average its hard to argue that he is a threat offensively anywhere.

    You think teams really worry about Rush's 3 point shooting?

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:


  21. #15
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,357

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat

    Does he shoot enough? No. Is he aggressive enough? Hell no. Is he frustrating in that he'll show flashes of brilliance mixed in with extended periods of offensive disappearances? Of course. Is he a consistent 3 point threat? Obviously. This argument is all sorts of retarded.

    There are plenty of things to ***** about with Brandon. But not this.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  23. #16
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,245

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat

    I am willing to go a step further with this and state Rush is a very average shooter at best, based on expectations of him out of college some could even consider him terrible.

    Anyone who is not biased and makes a fair observation of Rush's talents should see this, so in many ways yes this argument is "foolish" and should not require a thread in order to be concluded that Rush is not a [B]consistent[B] 3 point shooter.

    In fact, I have yet to be convinced Rush is a good shooter at all. Rush shoots 67% from the free throw line and yet those on here who were willing to vote yes on this poll believe he is a consistent threat?? Maybe some are still viewing Rush from his KU days and need to take better look at how bad of a shooter Brandon Rush is. I clarify by saying Brandon because his brother Kareem was the one who could shoot the rock, Brandon is no where even close to having that type of ability.

    First, as many have already eluded too, Rush only shoots when he is wide open, the majority of his attempts he has his feet set, and has a good look at the rim, most prolific shooters in this league rarely get that opportunity.

    How often does Rush come off of a screen and shoot the ball, how often does Rush come down on a fast break attempt and shoot with a hand in his face like Granger does, how often does Rush take 1 or 2 dribbles to get open and then shoot the ball.. the answer is very rarely to all the above. The reason, because he is not CONSISTENT at shooting the ball.

    For a guy who shoots 41% you would think he would be more of a focus on the offensive end, but he is not and with good reason. The only attempts Rush usually takes is when he is wide open and the D has dropped down to double team the post or something to that effect.

    There are 4 guys I would much prefer shooting the 3 ball over Rush: Granger, Dunleavy, Posey, and even George.

    Rush is a stationary shooter, rarely does he have the confidence to pull up when his defender is gaurding him tight. As I have already mentioned previously in the other thread where this discussion began, %'s are at times very misleading. Rush may shoot 41% from 3 last season, but the majority of his shots are wide open and he is set. Thankfully, Rush does not come off of screens and try shooting the ball because he %'s would go way down.

    Rush is an average shooter at best, and a terrible free throw shooter, which is a very good indicator that Rush is not a good shooter overall.

    Pacer fans, do not misinterpret my comments here, I support Rush as long as he wears Blue & Gold, and I hope that he improves his jump shooting capabilities this season and changes my opinion of his ability. I also believe Rush is a very good player defensively, and can rebound from the sg position. He has value, but for those who suggest Rush is a good shooter, and consistent from three I will politely disagree with 100%.

    As I stated once before, Rush on occcasion will have a good shooting night, normally 1 game out of 10, and then he goes back into passive mode and offers very little on the offensive end of the court.

    I am not implying that Rush does not have the ability to be a good shooter, but at this time and from what I have seen based on performance, Rush is average when it comes to shooting overall.

    The good shooters in this league do not get left wide open, Granger rarely gets an attempt without a hand in his face, and even with a hand up Granger will still knock it down.

    For those of you who only want to base his shooting ability on stats, go right ahead, there are many shooters in this league who shoot 36% I would prefer taking a wide open 3 than Rush.

    I honestly hope that Rush proves me wrong this season and becomes a consistent shooter, but from what I have witness thus far, the answer is clearly NO, he is not consistent at all.

    To reiterate what began this conversation to begin with, Rush has poor follow through on his jumper, he needs to hire a shooting coach to help him with his form imho; obviously it would not hurt any when it comes to his free throw % either.

    Go Pacers!

  24. #17

    Default Re: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat

    I think the nos in this thread prove how easy it is to dislike Brandon and ignore his strengths.

    Next poll: is LeBron James athletic?

  25. #18
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,357

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the nos in this thread prove how easy it is to dislike Brandon and ignore his strengths.

    Next poll: is LeBron James athletic?
    No. I saw him trip on his own once.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  26. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the nos in this thread prove how easy it is to dislike Brandon and ignore his strengths.

    Next poll: is LeBron James athletic?
    I votes no because this thread sucks

  27. #20

    Default Re: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat

    Let's hope so. Because if not, it would be useless for him to cross halfcourt.(except for once a week, when he wakes up)

  28. #21
    Member TinManJoshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,496

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat

    2005-06 47.2%
    2006-07 43.1%
    2007-08 41.9%
    2008-09 37.3%
    2009-10 41.1%
    2010-11 30%

    Ten shots, when you consider the bulk of his career, is a terrible sample size.

    Now, numbers don't tell the whole story. However, the numbers are telling me that if you think Rush is a poor shooter then you are taking outliers and using only those instances to pass judgment. Then saying something like "I don't think he's a good shooter" only makes it sound like you know better than data samples built up over the last 6 seasons. This is a pretty ignorant situation to get yourself into.

    For the record, I voted "Is this real life?"

  29. #22
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,245

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat

    Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2005-06 47.2%
    2006-07 43.1%
    2007-08 41.9%
    2008-09 37.3%
    2009-10 41.1%
    2010-11 30%

    Ten shots, when you consider the bulk of his career, is a terrible sample size.

    Now, numbers don't tell the whole story. However, the numbers are telling me that if you think Rush is a poor shooter then you are taking outliers and using only those instances to pass judgment. Then saying something like "I don't think he's a good shooter" only makes it sound like you know better than data samples built up over the last 6 seasons. This is a pretty ignorant situation to get yourself into.

    For the record, I voted "Is this real life?"
    Im sorry, I didnt realize this question was based on college statistics, in that case.. the question should be the following..

    is Adam Morrison or Brandon Rush the better 3 pt shooter. pretty "ignorant" situation you just got yourself into.

  30. #23
    Member TinManJoshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,496

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In fact, I have yet to be convinced Rush is a good shooter at all.
    This is easy to do when you ignore the other side of the debate.

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How often does Rush come off of a screen and shoot the ball, how often does Rush come down on a fast break attempt and shoot with a hand in his face like Granger does, how often does Rush take 1 or 2 dribbles to get open and then shoot the ball.. the answer is very rarely to all the above. The reason, because he is not CONSISTENT at shooting the ball.
    So he's a bad shooter because he doesn't take contested shots?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rush is a stationary shooter, rarely does he have the confidence to pull up when his defender is gaurding him tight. As I have already mentioned previously in the other thread where this discussion began, %'s are at times very misleading. Rush may shoot 41% from 3 last season, but the majority of his shots are wide open and he is set. Thankfully, Rush does not come off of screens and try shooting the ball because he %'s would go way down.
    So good shot selection makes someone a bad shooter?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For those of you who only want to base his shooting ability on stats, go right ahead, there are many shooters in this league who shoot 36% I would prefer taking a wide open 3 than Rush.
    Stats don't lie. They keep track of the things your brain forgets with time. The brain typically remembers only the glaring good and glaring bad.

    One last thing:

    All clutch shooters are good, not all good shooters are clutch.
    Last edited by TinManJoshua; 11-16-2010 at 12:44 PM.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:


  32. #24
    Member TinManJoshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,496

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im sorry, I didnt realize this question was based on college statistics, in that case.. the question should be the following..

    is Adam Morrison or Brandon Rush the better 3 pt shooter. pretty "ignorant" situation you just got yourself into.
    Fine. You want to dismiss what you consider "irrelevant".

    2008-09 37.3%
    2009-10 41.1%
    2010-11 30%

    One these things is not like the other. Maybe it's the one that only measures ten shots.

    And to the bold:

    Last edited by TinManJoshua; 11-16-2010 at 12:51 PM.

  33. #25
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,477

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Brandon Rush a consistent 3 point threat

    I can only hope that 8 out of those 9 "No" votes are jokes.

    My next poll will be: Roy Hibbert: Is he tall or is it just an optical illusion?

    I guess some of you would also say that Robert Horry was not a consistent three point threat due to the fact that he rarely shot the ball?
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 11-16-2010 at 01:28 PM.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Similar Threads

  1. What are we wanting from Rush.
    By dohman in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 08-28-2010, 10:59 PM
  2. Say we somehow land Evan Turner...
    By SMosley21 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 03-16-2010, 12:14 AM
  3. Tbird 2009 draft analysis #7: Eric Maynor
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-13-2009, 03:04 PM
  4. Remember the Name: Brandon Rush
    By rocksballer58 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-08-2009, 10:20 AM
  5. 4-16-2004
    By Ragnar in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-19-2004, 01:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •