Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 48 of 48

Thread: Pacers resign AJ

  1. #26
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,253
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers resign AJ

    Sooo it does come down to Brewer v. Wright. Brew with the energy and Wright with the shot.

    Hmmm? I do like Brewer tho.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

  2. #27

    Default Re: Pacers resign AJ

    Damn it Bird.

    We could have had Brewer and his great athletic abilty and energy. Instead you pick to keep AJ who is a solid veteran but thats it. Solid.

    Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it!

    Sorry, but I really was begining to hate the idea of having AJ back. Now I really hate it. 4 years.

  3. #28
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: Pacers resign AJ

    Torn.

    AJ is a great back-up point guard. Great in the locker room. Great on the bench. Doesn't make waves.

    But...

    I really think Brewer can be something in this league. And I've liked what I've heard from our 2nd round draft pick.

    I can't imagine we'll have 4 PGs on the roster again.

    If we do, I wouldn't mind seeing Brewer get more (and more consistant) minutes.

    4 years. I don't like that. Too long. I could handle 2 with a team option for the 3rd. Or, I guess it depends on the amount. If it's cheap enough, who cares?

    Rambling. I'm rambling. Must stop.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  4. #29
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers resign AJ

    Wright will take all his minutes away by the end of the first year of this deal. I don't get four years for AJ. But I don't get 6/7 years for Stephen Jackson, either.

    I guess that's why I'm not in charge.

    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  5. #30
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: Pacers resign AJ

    4 years is pushing it. AJ turns 30 before the season starts. I would certainly hope that there's a team option in there somewhere.

    Btw, no one's mentioned the fact that we were supposed to use our MLE to sign a PG and C. I guess it's possible that we're using part of the MLE for AJ, but I find it more likely that he choose length over size, and this is based off a lower amount, like the veteran's exception.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  6. #31
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Pacers resign AJ

    Look, even if you like AJ a lot, you've got to think 4 years is a long deal for a backup PG. It had better be for the minimum.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  7. #32
    Member Snickers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    True
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,614

    Default Re: Pacers resign AJ

    I bet there's a team option in there somewhere.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

  8. #33
    Member Ultimate Frisbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,374

    Default Re: Pacers resign AJ

    Quote Originally Posted by BostonConnection
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Name for me a better backup point guard.
    A healthy Troy Hudson?

    And a healthy Bobby Jackson!!!

    Here, everyone have a : on me

  9. #34

    Default Re: Pacers resign AJ

    Quote Originally Posted by Snickers
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I bet there's a team option in there somewhere.
    Hopefully after year 1.

    BTW: Someone mention we are supposed to use the MLE on a PG and C but I doubt we use it. I read we are not going to spend much money.

    My guess this signing was for the LLE.

  10. #35
    bapspacers4life
    Guest

    Default Re: Pacers resign AJ

    bummer aj for 4 years is a no no brewer for 4 years yes yes he only be 28 or 29 but a 34 aj no no

  11. #36
    Gold Stagger Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,523
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers resign AJ

    After I got over the fact that AJ just always "looks" shaky while handling the ball, I really liked him. He did a solid job for us and I'm glad we resigned him. I'm betting we have a option after the first couple of years, I bet the contract is not guaranteed for the full 4 years.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

  12. #37
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: Pacers resign AJ

    Bobby Jackson and Troy Hudson are really starting point guards. At least they would be for the Pacers.

  13. #38

    Default Re: Pacers resign AJ

    someone mentioned AJs shakyiness when handling the ball that made me think of a show I was watching earlier, it was streetball on ESPN2.

    Showed the Professior working out with a well known ball handling coach around the Portland area, I believe. Rodney Howard. He said that alot of people think he is teaching streetball stuff but he is really getting players comfortable handling the ball.

    Not saying AJ should go and work with Howard but it would be nice. Not for flashy plays but so is comfortable.

    Just one of my random thoughts to be ignored.

  14. #39
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,576

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers resign AJ

    I'm glad we got him.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  15. #40

    Default Re: Pacers resign AJ

    i like AJ - and i know all the
    common criticisms of him -
    but all that aside, what are the
    chances he is part of a sign-and-trade
    package yet to come?

    wonder if chris mullin likes AJ, too?

  16. #41
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Pacers resign AJ

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoop
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After I got over the fact that AJ just always "looks" shaky while handling the ball, I really liked him. He did a solid job for us and I'm glad we resigned him. I'm betting we have a option after the first couple of years, I bet the contract is not guaranteed for the full 4 years.
    LOOKS? Try "IS."
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  17. #42
    Member Dukins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    911
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers resign AJ

    This freaking sucks. A step in the wrong direction. My postseason grade went from a A to a C instantly. do they see in this guy?


    2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

  18. #43
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,029

    Default Re: Pacers resign AJ

    Quote Originally Posted by Dukins
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This freaking sucks. A step in the wrong direction. My postseason grade went from a A to a C instantly. do they see in this guy?
    I'm guessing a couple of things come into play here.

    Topping the list would be his play against Detroit in the playoffs. Detroit has established themselves as the team to beat if you want to win the championship.

    #2: AJ is solid. The Pacers know what he can and can't do and apparently so does AJ. Also, he appears to be a good egg on the bench and, from what we hear, in the lockerroom.

    #3: Kevin Ollie. Finding a solid backup PG (who WILL get minutes) and who knows and accepts his role isn't easy. I wonder if losing Ollie when IMHO it should've been a no-brainer to bring him back made the team take AJ's negotiations a little more seriously?

    -Bball

    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  19. #44

    Default Re: Pacers resign AJ

    I think we are lucky to have AJ as backup PG. As Bball mentioned, AJ is very solid, and he provides consistancy. He played well against detroit, and that definitely helps. He may not push the ball like most of you want, but he doesn't make major mistakes. Glad to have him.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  20. #45
    Expect Delays blanket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,810

    Default Re: Pacers resign AJ

    Something missing in all this discussion:

    Does anyone find it odd that while ESPN posted this signing on their website yesterday, neither Indystar nor pacers.com have anything about it today?!?

    Can they really be that uninformed, or have ESPN possibly jumped the gun?
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

  21. #46
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers resign AJ

    Conrad refers to ESPN's report on pacers.com in today's QotD on Tinsley.

    But he says "appears" as opposed to any type of official announcement.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  22. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    40
    Posts
    726

    Default Re: Pacers resign AJ

    I liked the way AJ played late in the playoffs.... but I would like to see what Brewer or this new kid could do....maybe AJ is just a security blanket at the backup spot....

    When we got AJ last year I thought his D was a strength...IMO he doens't play any better D than Jamaal.... he really has trouble keeping quicker players in front of him.

    Only thing i can tell is you know pretty much what you get from him, Carlisle can depend on him to slow down the tempo and run offense.

  23. #48
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: Pacers resign AJ

    10-11 million over 4 years.

    That is aApprox 2.6 per year. That seems about right to me.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •