Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PG of the future ?

Default PG of the future ?

Ok so lets assume that we arent going to win the John Wall sweepstakes, and there arent really any other true PG prospects worth a damn in the upcomming draft.......lets also asume that although we all love Price (me included) he is more than likely a great backup PG for our first stringer of the future. All of that said, just for laughs who do you guys see as someone who is marginally realistic to either try and bring in here year after next when we have $, or possibly pull off a trade to bring in ?

Im not sure how realistic this is......but I would love to have Stephen Curry. Goldenstate is such a mess I cant imagine he enjoys it there and they have been throwing around all kinds of scenarios of being willing to part with young talent to get rid of bad contracts. On top of that, if they stick with Monta Ellis.....to me those 2 just dont mesh to form a winning team....but then again it is GS so who knows. Any other ideas ?

PS - Also wouldnt mind making a play for Rubio from the Wolves....
    Last edited by Wylder1324; 01-17-2010 at 10:27 PM.

Default Re: PG of the future ?

Currie's yet another one of those guys that 1.AJ is better than, and 2. He's not a real point guard.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wylder1324 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok so lets assume that we arent going to win the John Wall sweepstakes, and there arent really any other true PG prospects worth a damn in the upcomming draft.......lets also asume that although we all love Price (me included) he is more than likely a great backup PG for our first stringer of the future. All of that said, just for laughs who do you guys see as someone who is marginally realistic to either try and bring in here year after next when we have $, or possibly pull off a trade to bring in ?

Im not sure how realistic this is......but I would love to have Stephen Curry. Goldenstate is such a mess I cant imagine he enjoys it there and they have been throwing around all kinds of scenarios of being willing to part with young talent to get rid of bad contracts. On top of that, if they stick with Monta Ellis.....to me those 2 just dont mesh to form a winning team....but then again it is GS so who knows. Any other ideas ?

PS - Also wouldnt mind making a play for Rubio from the Wolves....

Devin Harris if the Nets win the John Wall Sweepstakes might be available.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Devin Harris if the Nets win the John Wall Sweepstakes might be available.
    They've said they want an All-Star caliber player in return for him in any trade... They feel it would hurt their ability to draw an Elite player like Lebron if they don't get another star caliber player in return in a Harris trade...
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I don't think that we wil acquire our future Starting PG via a trade.....nor would we be able to get our hands on Rubio or Curry. Doing so would require that we give up assets ( prospects, or draft picks ) that we cannot afford to give up.

The reality is that I think that our future PG will arrive either by draft ( over the next 2 seasons )....or in the 2011-2012 Offseason via Free Agency.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I believe we already have him........ he's already producing in his first year.

when roy and rush produced like this their rookie years they were deemed our starters for the future.......why not AJ? my opinion AJ's showing just as much promise as our other young guys.

remember he's a rookie still.......2nd round pick that should have been a first. the talents there, let him win or lose the starting job on his own before we take it from him.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Currie's yet another one of those guys that 1.AJ is better than, and 2. He's not a real point guard.

Beside Wall, there is no other PG that I would want in that draft.

I really like how Price has turned out thus far. I think a fair comparison for Price is Jack. I would love someone like Price as our backup PG
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Seriously, he's not a point guard. He's a shooter, who has been on a good stretch lately, and isn't tall enough to be a shooting guard. He's averaging around 3 turnovers a game. Is not that great of a passer, is not that great of a ball handler.

Could he improve, sure, I guess. But there's no reason why AJ couldn't either.

1. Price is not better than Currie
    2. I agree, Currie is not a true PG...hes like a Bayless...has more of a scoring mentality
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Talking Re: PG of the future ?

LOL... If any of ya'll are gonna give opinions on Curry , at LEAST learn how to spell his name right...

Your's Truly ....

Graham Arnatsi

Last edited by Kemo; 01-18-2010 at 01:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

I like the Rubio idea. A top 10 pick in this year's draft might land him for us.

I think Tony Parker (an FA in 2011) is a realistic possibility if we're willing to overpay for him.

I also think it's entirely possible that Price could be the PG of the future if we land a significantly talented player (someone like Evan Turner) in this draft. It just depends if we're able to upgrade our other positions enough to where we don't need an All-Star PG to contend.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Seriously, he's not a point guard. He's a shooter, who has been on a good stretch lately, and isn't tall enough to be a shooting guard. He's averaging around 3 turnovers a game. Is not that great of a passer, is not that great of a ball handler.

Could he improve, sure, I guess. But there's no reason why AJ couldn't either.
    Curry is a really good passer actually, and his basketball IQ is fantastic.

I like AJ, but Curry is a better player now, and he probably will be a better player going forward.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Banned

In my dreams: Evan Turner - Ohio State
    He's still learning the position but is an excellent passer and pretty close to unstoppable with the ball.
    it's possible he'll play 2 in the pro's, but he may well make an all star PG too.
    We won't get him either...........

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Seconded!
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

What about Chris Paul? If you hire Byron Scott to coach the Pacers, CP3 might be interested since he and Byron are very close.

I would rather be the hammer than the nail

Its going to take more than a coach, IMO. We would have to be on the verge of contending for a title.

First off Curry is nothing like Bayless IMO. Bayless dominates the ball and is a "Me First" type of player.....Curry is def a prolific scorer, but has shown the willingness in GS to fit into a system at the expense of his own stats. He is ag 5 assists per game I beleive, and thats playing alongside Ellis who is also hovering around in that area.....its a disfunctional system to say the least....we just think we have it bad here. All of that said as someone else said Curry is a VERY smart player, who has great handles and will be a great PG as the years go on.

As for AJ Price, I hope that he does become our PG of the future....Im just not sure that he has the tools to be elite......although, if we were to find a way to nab a guy like Evan Turner who is in many ways a lot like Brandon Roy in a sense that he has the ability to create on offense much like a PG it would eliminate the need for an elite level PG......look at how well Portland does with Steve Blake, who although I respect his game, he is a role player on most teams.

I like Tony Parker, in fact the Spurs are probably my 2nd fav team....either them or the Rockets.....but I dont like him with us when his contract expires. He is a player that relies almost exclusively on his athleticism to be the top tier talent that he is, as he gets older, which he will be doing once hes available to sign his age would start to slow him prob halfway into whatever contract he signs......I think youth is where we should be looking from here on out.......

On a closing note, I would def offer our first rounder to GS in exchange for Stephen if we dont have a shot at Turner or Wall.......I dont see anyone else in the draft that we need more than a guy like Curry. We could probably buy our way into the 20-30 picks if we wanted to target someone else, and we also have 2nd rounders so.....I would pull that trigger....unless that is Price just explodes once we (please) give him the starting job in another 10-15 games.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    1. Price is not better than Currie
    2. I agree, Currie is not a true PG...hes like a Bayless...has more of a scoring mentality
    Sorry, I did mean AJ's a better point guard, not a better player. I haven't seen enough of him to say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Its going to take more than a coach, IMO. We would have to be on the verge of contending for a title.
    Without knowing what pieces we will have by then, the core+ could be a contender with CP3.

2 more years experience for Hibbert, Rush, Hans, Price, McBob plus Granger and maybe Dun. Add 2-4 draft picks and some trades, who knows.

I would rather be the hammer than the nail

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rubio is highly unlikely.
    Curry won't happen.
    Parker coming here is a joke.
    CP3 will never wear a Pacers uniform either.

The most realistic scenario I can see us having, is trading Murphy for Z's expiring, then making a run at Raymond Felton. Felton still has a lot of potential and would be the perfect PG for O'Brien as he ran a similar offense at Carolina. He is a big guard, a good defender, and a very clutch player - he hasn't lived up to expectations so far, but I believe he could thrive with us.

Oh and AJ Price is not better than Curry and likely never will be. Curry has an insane basketball IQ and is actually a very good passer. I think he got classified as nothing but a scorer because he was the only one who could score on his team, but I believe he was near the top in the NCAA in assists last year. Those assists were going to players who were not great scorers so most of them were due to his passing skills, not their talent.

I suppose I'm biased with him though as I went to High School with Stephen.
    Last edited by Dr. Awesome; 01-18-2010 at 12:47 PM.

Meh, I think his skill set is a heck of a lot closer to Ben Gordon's than the typical pg. He's not a guy that, in terms of being a point guard...not player..I was impressed with.

All hail King George! KnicksRGarbage's Avatar

I'm definitely not a Stephen Curry wizard by any means but he is most definitely a shooting PG. if you REALLY want that just bring TJ back off the bench.davidson hasn't produced NBA magic ever, but yes it's possible. In his college career (declared after his jr year) he averaged 2.8, 2.9, and then 5.6 assists per game. A PG of the future better do better than that. He was 7th overall and aj was 2nd round. IMO there's nothing Curry does that aj can't. Plus Currys career high for assist is 13. The holy pg of future would scoff at that. CP3 sneezes and gets 10 assists!
    Idk, maybe it's cuz he looks like an infant or maybe I'm just a big aj price fan...

PS you can have all the bball IQ you want but it doesn't mean you posess the skill set to be a star in the NBA. I.e. Great coaches who had rather sucky careers and such as players.
    Last edited by KnicksRGarbage; 01-18-2010 at 01:47 PM.
    Coach Vogel on the Chicago crowd in game 4 : "I only heard pacers fans. I didn't see any red, I saw Pacers fans I saw yellow and blue, and I heard Pacers chants. That's all I heard the whole game."

http://www.cacawebdev.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wylder1324 View Post

does with Steve Blake, who although I respect his game, he is a role player on most teams.

Blake isn't flashy, but gets the job done. Denver missed him sorely after he left, and it finally took Billups to fill the void Blake left. Too many people think a PG has to be flashy or they are nothing. Blake is the prototype pass 1st PG, not a scoring 1st PG. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Blake in a Pacers uni just like I wanted Jack.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

If we did get Evan Turner, Price would be a fantastic Derek Fisher, Steve Blake style PG to go alongside a creative 2 guard.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie